Last visit was: It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ways to Challenge Negative Body Image
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:36 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Hi all!
I think body image is an issue that many people struggle with in general, with or without having an eating disorder. To my understanding, negative body image is also one of the last things to deal with when recovering from an eating disorder.
Body image is something I still struggle with and I am looking for ideas to help me feel better about my body. I thought we could brainstorm strategies that people use to challenge their negative body image and give people some new tools to try.

Things that I do:
-try to focus on what my body allows me to do (walk, play with my nieces and nephews) instead of focusing on what my body looks like.
-getting rid of clothes that no longer fit me.
-limit the amount of time I look at myself in the mirror.
-list 3 things I like/appreciate about my body everyday.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ways to Challenge Negative Body Image
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:15 am 
Orange Admin

Yes! These are all great ideas and I do them all myself. I also like to focus on positive feedback I've had from other people about my body - whether they've admired my outfits, complimented me on my strength or abilities or just said I'm pretty. Making a compliment book listing every nice thing people have said you is a fantastic way to challenge bad body image.

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:19 am 
post-mod squad

Those are great tips, Erin. I struggle with the "looking in the mirror" thing as I can get really obsessive about it.

One thing I've found that helps is dressing in an outfit that I really like and that looks good on me - it really boosts my confidence and sometimes I even catch myself thinking, "okay, I look good in that!"

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:52 am 
orange is a state of mind

Those are great ideas! I'll have to try them out as I'm currently really struggling with body image. It blows my mind how in the course of a day, or even in a matter of hours, I can look in the mirror and be okay with what I see and then later I'll look again and I look horrible. Which image in the mirror is correct? Am I deluding myself when I think I look okay?
I just want to see what other people see when they look at me.

Offline Profile