Last visit was: It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:14 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat People
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:47 pm 
admin goddess from hell
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:10 am
Posts: 12363
Well, actually, if you read right through, A&F (an American store I have never - and now will never - been to) actually only refuses to make XL and larger sizes for women. They make them for men, apparently to accommodate larger "muscular" men involved in sports and stuff, things that women probably don't do much of...

What do you think? Is this an acceptable business strategy, or does it reinforce fat-hating? Or is it both, but one "outweighs" the other? Are you aware of other stores which do that, or do you believe in segregation; that is, some stores should focus on making really funky clothes for large people, and others for small people? And if you think this is unacceptable, do you think A&F are the only clothing retailers to do this (I'm thinking a lot of high end designers are paying much attention to large women)? And what could you do about it, besides maybe writing them and "voting with your feet"?

One thing I have to say is that as a woman who started with "wide" hips who has now given birth to two almost ten pound "footballs" (well, that's what it felt like, anyway), at my smallest - which was dangerously small - I still had trouble with some designer pants because of my hips. No matter how much weight you lose, your skeleton doesn't get smaller. So is this just discrimination against large people or is it even more insidious - it is about promoting only that body image which fits the "ideal" as portrayed on every photoshopped magazine and catalogue out there?

Quote:
Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat People
By Ashley Lutz
May 3, 2013

Teen retailer Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't stock XL or XXL sizes in women's clothing because they don't want overweight or unattractive women wearing their brand.

They want the "cool kids," and they don't consider plus-sized women as being a part of that group.

Abercrombie is sticking to its guns of conventional beauty, even as that standard becomes outdated.

Contrast Abercrombie with H&M, another favorite with the teen set, who just subtly introduced a plus-sized model in its latest swimwear collection.

H&M has a plus-sized line. American Eagle, Abercrombie's biggest competitor, offers up to size XXL for men and women.

Abercrombie doesn't even list women's XL or XXL on its size chart. Its largest women's pants are a size 10, while H&M's standard line goes up to a size 16, and American Eagle offers up to 18.

It's not surprising that Abercrombie excludes plus-sized women considering the attitude of CEO Mike Jeffries, said Robin Lewis, co-author of The New Rules of Retail and CEO of newsletter The Robin Report.

"He doesn't want larger people shopping in his store, he wants thin and beautiful people," Lewis told Business Insider. "He doesn't want his core customers to see people who aren't as hot as them wearing his clothing. People who wear his clothing should feel like they're one of the 'cool kids.'"

The only reason Abercrombie offers XL and XXL men's sizes is probably to appeal to beefy football players and wrestlers, Lewis said.

We asked the company why it doesn't offer larger sizes for women. A spokeswoman told us that Abercrombie wasn't available to provide a comment.

In a 2006 interview with Salon, Jeffries himself said that his business was built around sex appeal.

“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,” Jeffries said.

Jeffries also told Salon that he wasn't bothered by excluding some customers.

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he told the site. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

Jeffries said he thinks that including everyone would make his business boring.

"Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either," he told Salon.

While a specialty retailer like Abercrombie can't be expected to appeal to everyone, the brand's standard of beauty is quickly becoming stale.

Plus-sized is no longer a niche market: 67 percent of the apparel purchasing population fit that label, and the number is growing all the time.

For too long, this sizable and growing segment has been ignored," writes Margaret Bogenrief at ACM Partners. "Treated shabbily, ostracized by the “pro-skinny fashion world,” and seemingly discarded by designers, department stores, and retailers alike, plus-size fashion consumers, critics, and bloggers are taking back their spending and sartorial power and, in turn, changing both the e-commerce and retailing landscapes."

Ignoring this "revolution" could be costly for businesses, Bogenrief writes.

More brands are featuring curvy, "real-sized," models.

In addition to H&M's Jennie Runk, Dove's wildly popular "Real Beauty" campaign highlights women who aren't as thin as traditional models.

But it's unlikely that Abercrombie will ever sway from its image, Lewis told us.

"Abercrombie is only interested in people with washboard stomachs who look like they're about to jump on a surfboard," Lewis said.

Business Insider

_________________
Whispered words of wisdom,
Let it be.

~~ John Lennon


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:10 pm 
i bite back hardcore

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:40 am
Posts: 412
Location: Ireland
For some reason you can't buy A&F in a store here, you have to order online, or buy abroad. So because of that it's got a snob factor and all the kids have to have it. I also dislike brands that have their name emblazoned across them. And so I decided years ago never to buy it for my kids! Though hopefully they'll know better than to care about that sort of stuff. But if they did want it I'll definitely show them this article!

_________________
... participating in such an odyssey involves a willingness to travel like Dante or Persephone into and through the dark unknown, and only then to emerge into a previously unsuspected fullness.

Saki Santorelli


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:37 pm 
orange is a state of mind
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:30 am
Posts: 2888
Location: Florida
Yeah, my arms were too thick for A&F when I was anorexic, and I only know that because I tried on some second-hand tops at a yard sale ( :topic: on principle, I don't pay to advertise for retailers, so I don't wear many "branded" things aside from logos of organizations that I work with--this after being ostracized in school because I couldn't afford those things). I don't want to pay to be able to sit with the kids with the same logos on their polos. I don't need the same stitching on my backside that the cheerleaders have. It's different now that I'm in college, but plenty of girls still dress in the Abercrombie/Aeropostale/American Eagle uniform.

It's definitely a status symbol to be able to wear those certain brands, but I always associated it with income rather than body type. Oh, thin privilege.

_________________
Stop looking for happiness. Start creating it.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:51 pm 
orange scribe

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:38 pm
Posts: 5278
I worked for Abercrombie once... maybe you knew that already though?

I was told to "recruit pretty people"

I only lasted a few days because that just really bothered me


It's funny, because we were discussing this recently at my work the other day... about how a lot of their stores are having to close, because they don't have the popularity that they used to. I just did a quick google and apparently they plan on closing around 180 stores before 2015... not including the 71 they closed last year.


My guess is that the two things are intertwined. In a lot of countries thin is viewed as an ideal... so in order to ensure that their clothes regain the "cool" factor. If you go on eBay you would be able to find some XL (not XXL) women's clothing, implying they did once sell that size... which could strengthen my argument that this was done over the course of the past few years of so in an effort to boost sales by having them shown on people that fit the cultural ideal.

_________________
forgiveness has never been about changing the past, it's always been about changing the future

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:27 pm 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm
Posts: 6147
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/14/abercrombie-and-fitch-homeless-brand-readjustment_n_3272498.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Guy gives abercrombie and fitch clothes to homeless people in response.

_________________
bubbles to the chandelier


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:32 am 
admin goddess from hell
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:10 am
Posts: 12363
Dunno what to think about that. I like clothing and feeding people in need, but then the point made in the article below is about exploiting need to score political points. What do you think?

Quote:
Why Fitch the Homeless is a Really Bad Idea
By Sara Luckey

In response to some comments made by Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Michael Jeffries about not wanting large people in A&F clothes because he prefers “attractive…cool kids” in A&F clothes, there’s been a pretty big backlash, which is understandable. Most recently, I’ve learned about some “activism” aimed at giving Abercrombie and Fitch a “brand readjustment’” by giving Abercrombie and Fitch clothing to the homeless.

Because wouldn’t it be so awful for Abercrombie and Fitch clothing to be associated with homelessness and homeless people, because homeless people are so gross and disgusting, amirite? The video above says that it is striving to make Abercrombie and Fitch “the #1 brand of homeless apparel”. Maybe you’re thinking there’s no issue here because at least homeless people are getting some new duds and they were purchased from Goodwill, so what’s the big deal?

The big deal comes in when homeless people are being exploited to prove a point. Many homeless people are already widely disenfranchised and lacking a platform to be heard or to get access to the resources they need. By attempting to make a brand look bad by associating it with homelessness, the message is that homeless people are so gross, dirty, shameful (insert negative attribute here) that by associating the brand with these types of people, we are really making the brand look shitty, because these people are so shitty! get it? It’s all such a laugh! This type of “activism” is a farce. It contributes to and propagates a culture wherein homeless people can be used as props to further an agenda. This isn’t how you treat people. This is how you treat disposable objects. It isn’t funny, noble, or helpful to try and stick it to Abercrombie and Fitch by using homeless people as the medium for your message. Would the American population at large be comfortable with any other minority group being used to make a brand look “bad” by associating their clothing with that group? Sub out “homeless” for any other minority group and see how that sounds and feels. Pretty shitty, right?

Giving clothing, food, needed sundries, time, and other resources to the homeless or people who are in need is an awesome thing. But this isn’t about giving to the homeless. I don’t see any real or actual concern for homeless people in this “movement”. I see homeless people being used as the butt of a joke. The punchline? “Hahaha Abercrombie! You want cool and attractive people in your clothes and you claim to be exclusionary, so we’re going to give your clothes to homeless people because you would hate that!” The implication here is that homeless people are not cool or attractive and the brand can’t be exclusionary when worn by an already excluded group. This only “works” because homeless people are already part of an othered and excluded group, often left out of mainstream society, denied access to basic resources and the ability to have their needs met. Can’t.Stop.Laughing.

People who want to give to the homeless can do so at any time. Do it today! But giving a certain brand of clothing to the homeless in an attempt to make that brand of clothing look bad or unsavory or less-than-desirable is only possible when the population or group receiving the clothing carries the stigma you are trying to attach to that label. This doesn’t make Abercrombie and Fitch look bad. This makes Greg Karber and everybody supporting this “activism” look like an insensitive douche canoe who thinks homeless people are disposable props to be used to further an agenda, and that’s pretty sad and disappointing. Wanna help the homeless? Try not furthering the stigma surrounding homelessness by insisting that a brand being associated with homelessness would surely be less desirable or wanted. Wanna stick it to Abercrombie and Fitch? Easy Peasy! Don’t give them your money! It’s a simple solution that doesn’t involve stepping on the backs of the homeless in place of a soapbox.

feminspire

_________________
Whispered words of wisdom,
Let it be.

~~ John Lennon


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:48 pm 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:57 pm
Posts: 6396
Location: planting my garden
sorry if this is elsewhere. she just nailed so much wicked stuff i just wanted to share it here. :)

Fitch, Please - The EllenShow

i continue to be impressed, even delighted by this human. (she is not perfect but that isn't what i said.)

_________________
“If I am not for me, who will be for me? If I am only for myself, what am I? If not now, when?”
- Rabbi Hillel


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:54 pm 
orange is a state of mind
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:24 pm
Posts: 2285
Location: N/E England
Ellen was fab there!
Can we have a thread on ellen's best tv moments?

_________________
All flowers in time bend towards the sun ♥♡♥

Life is what you make it :)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:34 pm 
admin goddess from hell
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:10 am
Posts: 12363
Sure - start one wherever you think best.

In the interim, this is a great response to A&F, sure to make you smile!

How to Wear A&F While Fat, as Demonstrated by Jerry From 'Parks & Rec'

_________________
Whispered words of wisdom,
Let it be.

~~ John Lennon


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:14 pm 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm
Posts: 6147
Spender wrote:
Sure - start one wherever you think best.

In the interim, this is a great response to A&F, sure to make you smile!

How to Wear A&F While Fat, as Demonstrated by Jerry From 'Parks & Rec'


I was just going to post this!

_________________
bubbles to the chandelier


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 am 
admin goddess from hell
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:10 am
Posts: 12363
I can't possibly do justice to this one trying to replicate it here - you just gotta click the URL. Guaranteed - the last photo is hilarious, and she can add my one finger salutes in there too!

The Militant Baker: "To: Mike Jeffries, c/o Abercrombie & Fitch"

_________________
Whispered words of wisdom,
Let it be.

~~ John Lennon


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:51 am 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:05 pm
Posts: 7343
Location: Boston area
I love it. :)

_________________
"What matters is what I do NOW - what the next right thing is and following through with it."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 am 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm
Posts: 6147
Spender wrote:
I can't possibly do justice to this one trying to replicate it here - you just gotta click the URL. Guaranteed - the last photo is hilarious, and she can add my one finger salutes in there too!

The Militant Baker: "To: Mike Jeffries, c/o Abercrombie & Fitch"


yes! I saw those photos but didn't know where they'd come from. I love it!
"I didn't take these photos ... to prove that you're an ostentatious dick."

_________________
bubbles to the chandelier


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 am 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:05 pm
Posts: 7343
Location: Boston area
wickedrache wrote:
sorry if this is elsewhere. she just nailed so much wicked stuff i just wanted to share it here. :)

Fitch, Please - The EllenShow

i continue to be impressed, even delighted by this human. (she is not perfect but that isn't what i said.)



I was TOTALLY about to post this.

_________________
"What matters is what I do NOW - what the next right thing is and following through with it."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 pm 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm
Posts: 6147
Kaz wrote:
wickedrache wrote:
sorry if this is elsewhere. she just nailed so much wicked stuff i just wanted to share it here. :)

Fitch, Please - The EllenShow

i continue to be impressed, even delighted by this human. (she is not perfect but that isn't what i said.)



I was TOTALLY about to post this.


I know! I accidentally double posted it because I loved it so much.

_________________
bubbles to the chandelier


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki