Last visit was: It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: CBS news anchor called fat by bully
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:26 pm 
admin goddess from hell

This.

Quote:
CBS news anchor called fat by bully: Anchor responds on live TV

On Oct. 2, a CBS news anchor for a Wisconsin TV station responded to a personal attack on her weight during a live broadcast. Jennifer Livingston took several minutes of the News 8 morning show to turn the email attack into a message about bullying and the destruction it causes.

The email that started it all was from a viewer who admitted that he rarely watched the show, but was surprised that the anchor's "physical condition [hadn't] improved for many years". He went on to state that it was her "community responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle".

Although Livingston attempted to shrug off the comments, her husband and other colleagues did not, and the email became public. With that publicity, however, came overwhelming support from viewers and friends, all decrying the tone of the email and its personal judgment on Livingston.

Due to this public response, Livingston decided to turn the situation into a discussion point about bullying and therefore dedicated a portion of her original programming to this message. In the video, she did state that she was overweight, but that the bully did not know her and that she was "more than a number on a scale".

She went on to send a message specifically to children about bullying since October is Bullying Prevention Awareness Month:

"Do not let your self worth be defined by bullies. Learn from my experience that the cruel words of one are nothing compared to the shouts of many."

Livingston said these words as both encouragement for the children suffering from bullying and as a personal thanks to those who have supported her during all of this. Her courage to make her own story public to use as an example against bullying and weight stigma illustrates how serious an issue bullying really is, whether it happens in school or in the media.

Watch the vid: Anchor responds on live TV

Examiner

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: CBS news anchor called fat by bully
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:07 pm 
post-mod squad

Yes!!!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:31 pm 
orange you glad?

I remember watching this a few months ago and thinking how great it was that she stood up for herself.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately-to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am 
power lies within

While I think her response was awesome, I also think we're at risk of desensitizing ourselves to the word "bullying". She wasn't bullied. She was publicly criticized. Bullying is facing coercion or physical repercussions on a daily basis.

Offline Profile