Last visit was: It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: The truth about recovery
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:45 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Quote:
Then add feminism where we somehow think if we dress up, wear make up, want to be sexy or pretty or flattering then somehow we are moving that movement backwards.

I just had to add something here. See, that's never been my kind of feminism, and feminism and I go way back, even to before you were born, Kate, although I'm certainly not (nor ever) claiming "ownership" over the definition of "feminism": it is far too profound, complex and evolving for that.

But my feminism has always been been big enough to allow me to be "out there". I love bling, I love make-up, I love clothes that make me feel good (which does not include heels, Kelly!), crazy hair; what I have to learn to love is the body my body wants to be. But no matter what it decides, I'm still going to wear all that stuff: I'll be the crazy old lady in silver demin skinnies with the purple streaks in her hair and the sparkly eye liner and mascara, and, I don't care.

What I do care about is someone or some industry telling me that I "should" wear this, or my body "should" be that shape, or I "should" smooth over my well-earned body with stuff like "shape wear". No. Take me or leave me, but get the f*ck outta my body, especially at my expense (and I've paid too much already) and at your profit.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Historical conjecture
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:23 pm 
orange is hot

Where/when in history did dieting become a trend among women?
I was reading somewhere that on Caribbean islands (and other islands, I just can't remember which off the top of my head), it is very attractive for a woman to be larger. The native men are drawn to those women. But since westernized-Americanized television has begun to get played more and more there, eating disorders with these women are growing more and more frequent, as they're craving to look like the Hollywood actresses they see.
I see this as a way that media is a giant influence in the self-esteem of a woman(like when people say 'blame the media!'), but it also saddens me that the media is so influential as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:06 pm 
orange is hot

And ironically, this just happened.
http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/too-skinny-model-ban-takes-effect-israel-213500942.html
I personally think that setting their guidelines to a BMI of 18.5 (whited out) is ridiculous. But at the same time could this ban actually accomplish anything?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:20 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Well, the one I heard about is Fiji, which is apparently not technically in the Caribbean (according to Wikipedia, for what that's worth). This article is from a 1999 BBC Health News Report:

Quote:
Fiji, a nation that has traditionally cherished the fuller figure, has been struck by an outbreak of eating disorders since the arrival of television in 1995, a study has shown.

The BBC's James Westhead: The concept of dieting was unknown in Fiji
Researchers from Harvard say the western images and values transmitted via the medium has led to an increase in disorders such as anorexia and bulimia.

Anne Becker, an anthropologist at Harvard Medical School, has studied Fijian eating habits since 1988.

Anne Becker: Alarming proportion of teenagers on diets
She compared the arrival of television with the arrival of British explorers in the last century.

"What I hope is that this isn't like the 19th century, when the British came to Fiji and brought the measles with them. It was a tremendous plague," she said.

"One could speculate that in the 20th century, television is another pathogen exporting Western images and values," she said.

'Programming influences teens'

Fiji has one television station, which broadcasts programmes from the UK, US and New Zealand such as Seinfeld, ER, Melrose Place and Xena: Warrior Princess.

Programmes full of slim role models may have an effect

In 1998 - 38 months after the station went on air - Ms Becker conducted a survey of teenage girls and found that 74% of them felt they were "too big or fat".

Ms Becker said there had been a sharp rise in indicators of disordered eating, such as induced vomiting.

She said 15% of the girls reported they had vomited to control weight.

The traditional Fijian preference for the build of both sexes has been a "robust, well-muscled body" for both sexes, she said.

Ranadi Johnston - who holds the Miss Fiji beauty queen title, said slim women were tradionally seen as weak.

"People are always telling me to put on weight," she said.

'Major impact'

The impact of television on a Pacific island that has only had electricity since 1985 was significant, she said, as adolescent girls became more aware of Western ideals of beauty.

Ranadi Johnston: "People keep telling me to put on weight"

"Nobody was dieting in Fiji 10 years ago," Ms Becker said. "An alarmingly high percentage of adolescents are dieting now."

She said a study showed that a higher proportion of adolescents in Fiji were dieting than in Massachusetts.

"The teenagers see TV as a model for how one gets by in the modern world. They believe the shows depict reality."

Many groups say the world-wide increase in eating disorders is down to the prevalence of images equating a slim figure with beauty.

But some doctors have questioned whether such disorders are caused by culture or are transmitted from generation to generation in genes.

A study on the Caribbean island of Curacao, where fat is considered attractive, found the incidence of anorexia was equal to that in Europe.

Nicky Bryant, chief executive of the Eating Disorders Association, said Ms Becker's study had implications for everyone.

Nicky Bryant: There is a relationship between media images and eating disorders
"Research has shown there is a relationship between television and the development of an eating disorder, although there are many other factors," she said.

"With low self-esteem - which is associated with eating disorders - people will be trying to assume a low body weight or a slim image, which can lead to an eating disorder."

She advised anyone who was concerned about an eating disorder to contact the association or see their GP.

"The earlier an eating disorder is detected, the better is the chance of recovery," she said.

Nicky Bryant: Implications for all

A 1993 World Health Organisation report found that the Fiji suffered extremes of nutritional problems.

It said: "Obesity is an emerging health problem, which can be presently observed in children." [Spender: and there is a whole lot of fear-mongering to the benefit of diet, nutrition, fitness and other industries in propagating the notions of an obesity "epidemic" and "associated health problems"]

"However, under-nutrition has been around for over a decade and still exists with 15 percent of children under the age of five having a weight and age ratio below international standards.

"Fijian babies are undernourished at an early stage, while malnutrition in Indo-Fijian children appears at a later stage."

Ms Becker presented her findings at the American Psychiatric Association in Washington on Wednesday

TV brings eating disorders to Fiji

A 2002 article, based on 1998 data is here: Eating behaviours and attitudes following prolonged exposure to television among ethnic Fijian adolescent girls, cited in the British Journal of Psychiatry.

This one appears to be more recent, although the information is scant: [urlhttp://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110106144743.htm]Secondhand Television Exposure Linked to Eating Disorders[/url]

Other authors disagree with the findings: A Closer Look at the Famous Fiji “TV Causes Anorexia” Study, although some of his conjectures may also be based on faith in the "epidemic" of obesity.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:24 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Quote:
But at the same time could this ban actually accomplish anything?

Well, I guess it is better than the absence of a ban, but given that fewer than 2% of the population naturally has a BMI that low - even though it still fits within the allegedly "healthy" range" - it seems likely that restriction and other behaviours would be required by most models to achieve that BMI.

It may help reduce life-threatening views of body size but still result in medical problems and decreased life span as a result of the efforts required to maintain a BMI that low.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 pm 
post-mod squad

This is interesting. I've read the articles on Fiji and they are frightening. I also have a friend who did Peace Corp work in that area within the last 10 years and she is "normal" sized. She was frequently encouraged to eat to "get stronger." It might have been the remoteness of the area she was in. When she went back to visit a couple of years ago after having her son, they were commenting on how fat she had gotten. She is NOT in any way "fat" in any imagination of that form. I have always found it interesting how this story ended.

About the spanx... I admit I have some. But I have it for a different reason. First I got some because my uncle suggested that that a girdle would help my lower back issues. yeah, try finding a girdle in my size now matter what year it was... And, I don't know about you but there are times that I like something tight against my body. Kind of like a "thunder shirt" for dogs. They now make "compression clothing" and sell it for high prices (like spanx). So, that is why I have spanx... Is that wrong? Is it eating disordered? Maybe hidden in there somewhere it is??? I honestly don't know.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm 
orange you prolific

Kayla wrote:
This is interesting. I've read the articles on Fiji and they are frightening. I also have a friend who did Peace Corp work in that area within the last 10 years and she is "normal" sized. She was frequently encouraged to eat to "get stronger." It might have been the remoteness of the area she was in. When she went back to visit a couple of years ago after having her son, they were commenting on how fat she had gotten. She is NOT in any way "fat" in any imagination of that form. I have always found it interesting how this story ended.

About the spanx... I admit I have some. But I have it for a different reason. First I got some because my uncle suggested that that a girdle would help my lower back issues. yeah, try finding a girdle in my size now matter what year it was... And, I don't know about you but there are times that I like something tight against my body. Kind of like a "thunder shirt" for dogs. They now make "compression clothing" and sell it for high prices (like spanx). So, that is why I have spanx... Is that wrong? Is it eating disordered? Maybe hidden in there somewhere it is??? I honestly don't know.

I like the compression myself to some extent but on the other hand find it highly uncomfortable. I think if I could breathe in it I'd probably be more into it! That said I don't know if it's ED'd or just what it'd be for me...a sensory thing.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:58 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Quote:
So, that is why I have spanx... Is that wrong? Is it eating disordered? Maybe hidden in there somewhere it is??? I honestly don't know.

I don't think something is eating disordered just because it is designed to make people look slim. I suspect that a huge population of people who buy spanx are not eating disordered, in fact, just as most people buying, say, skinny jeans are not eating disordered. These items may be made and purchased to support the warped imagery that is propogated as "healthy" and "desirable"; I mean, the primary impact of spanx type clothing is a minor amount of slimming but a greater degree of "smoothing" out undesirable looks, like pantie lines and bulges around the hips. So, whether your ownership of spanx is part of your ED depends on the purpose for which you use them. However, the production and popularity of spanx seems to be more about reinforcing that these normal body shapes are "distasteful" and maybe we would be better advised to ask what the significance is of the societal attempt to reduce women's bodies to this size and shape?

BTW, Costco sells some brand of body reducing clothing called "skinny dressing", I think, and the boxes always have cardboard body parts like torsos and hips/thighs with the fabric around them to show what it's like, and I relieve Costco of every one of those I find everytime I shop there (which is not that often). I have a whole collection - dunno what to do with them, but they piss me off because so many poor women are getting sucked into this whole "change your natural shape" mentality. (I know, it is but a small act of rebellion, but many small acts combined cascade into an irresistable tide of change.)

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:14 pm 
orange you prolific

Spender wrote:
BTW, Costco sells some brand of body reducing clothing called "skinny dressing", I think, and the boxes always have cardboard body parts like torsos and hips/thighs with the fabric around them to show what it's like, and I relieve Costco of every one of those I find everytime I shop there (which is not that often). I have a whole collection - dunno what to do with them, but they piss me off because so many poor women are getting sucked into this whole "change your natural shape" mentality. (I know, it is but a small act of rebellion, but many small acts combined cascade into an irresistable tide of change.)

Make slingshots? (I promise I really am twenty-nine).

http://www.bethmcmullen.com/2012/04/the-cult-of-spanx/
-BAD things can happen ladies...

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 pm 
orange is a state of mind

komich wrote:
Spender wrote:

Make slingshots? (I promise I really am twenty-nine).

http://www.bethmcmullen.com/2012/04/the-cult-of-spanx/
-BAD things can happen ladies...

Stick your own label one one in the store claiming Warning; be prepared for discomfort and self criticism, self loathing, flammable, ..and don't operate heavy machinery ( the last part is BC all my meds come with that warning label)

I'll stop now because clearly I'm not in a good mind frame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Quote:
Stick your own label one one in the store claiming Warning; be prepared for discomfort and self criticism, self loathing, flammable, ..and don't operate heavy machinery ( the last part is BC all my meds come with that warning label)

I'll stop now because clearly I'm not in a good mind frame.

Actually, that sounds like a great idea. And I just found some and it's even worse: they are called "Fat Free Dressing". UGH.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:21 pm 
post-mod squad

Kate, I think your suggestion is great.

I read that article and it was hilarious. AND it made me realize that I think maybe I buy spanx in a bigger size than I "should" because while I have heard other people having experiences like that, even your sister, Sally, I don't have trouble getting it on. So yeah, it's just a compression garment to me. No fashion statement being made.

Sally, I've seen the no fat dressing at a local store and I honestly stood there with my mouth open reading that! It shocked me. I think it's time to pull those sticky notes back out and start putting them on shit like that. Damn all of those modern cameras and such that are supposed to protect the stores from shoplifters....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:26 am 
admin goddess from hell

It's not shoplifting to remove the advertising labels, only to steal the clothes. To hell with the cameras, it's a small act of rebellion against a tsumani of oppression.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2