Last visit was: It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: That bastard Special K campaign
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:38 am 
orange you prolific

I am not joking. But to their defense, think of how many diseases there are, and the fact that the classroom portion of med school is 2 years. Fifteen minutes is not an uncommon amount of time for them to spend on a disease. It is disturbing that their nutrition lecture was included in that 15 minutes…

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:47 am 
orange wonder

chickadee wrote:
I am not joking. But to their defense, think of how many diseases there are, and the fact that the classroom portion of med school is 2 years. Fifteen minutes is not an uncommon amount of time for them to spend on a disease. It is disturbing that their nutrition lecture was included in that 15 minutes…

Makes you feel in good hands, doesn't it?
Really builds trust in the medical professions. :roll:

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 pm 
galactic orange

chickadee wrote:

Haha, we at least got a half hour lecture devoted entirely to EDs during the second year and then another half hour (more or less reminding us of that first half hour) during the required psychiatry rotation which is either the third or fourth year. Then we've had a lot more lectures and other sessions related to nutrition and exercise (some in the first 2 years and more in my outpatient internal medicine rotation), but those have more of a focus on obesity since it's so extremely prevalent nowadays. I think med schools are gradually moving towards a little more nutrition education (at least mine is), especially as obesity becomes a bigger problem, but we're still very quick to offer a nutrition consult since that's what they train to do and all. My family medicine preceptor actually asked me last week if we got more information that they got about nutrition in med school, and he graduated roughly 15 years ago.

And yes, the hardest part of med school is not the complexity of the information (not to say that how the body works isn't complex), but it's the sheer volume of information you need to learn and you needed to know it yesterday.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3