Last visit was: It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "Maggie goes on a diet"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:57 am 
admin goddess from hell

Ugh!

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/maggie-diet-author-paul-kramer-defends-teen-dieting/story?id=14362132

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "Maggie goes on a diet"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:22 am 
orange scribe

This book has been under fire for months and months now.. Before it was even officially published.

It's interesting as in the 80s a LOT of books for children (or rather 10 and up) dealt with weight loss... Blubber by judy Blume... There was a book about a fat camp... A couple about girla who lost weight and were suddenly popular.

This isn't a new concept.

And to be honest it doesn't surprise me as we're very geared towards fighting childhood obesity ATM. Particularly America (with Michelle Obama's movement)

The reality is childhood obesity is a major problem. People are reacting reflexively because they're scared. Is it right? I think education involving nutrition, exercise, and intuitive eating is more integral than the concept of dieting... And I don't particularly like that Maggie becomes a sports star after losing the weight (perpetuating the belief that losing weight is glanoroua... Overweight = unpopular... Etc) but I am not an expert.

I just think bottom line this is a response to the mood of the world (particularly the united states) with regards to childhood obesity

//on my iPhone

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "Maggie goes on a diet"
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:55 pm 
stranger in an orange land

Well I mean the context is that she's unhealthy and then works hard to become healthy.
I was a little mad when it first started :/ but at the same time it does help obesity.
I think we should be more about being healthy than skinny but this book is written by someone that thinks dieting=healthy.

Well guys it's not :/ but at least we know that.

Offline Profile