Last visit was: It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 am 
kismetjeska

FadingHippie wrote:
if they really want to look into children's diets... I truly say make the parents eat what their children are eating... I mean that... that would probably be eye opening.

I actually believe that this would be a very good idea.

Lots of children do go through fussy stages- eating only this food, not liking veggies etc. Part of growing up is figuring out what food you do and do not like. Aren't a lot of children underweight/overweight for short periods of time anyway? Through growth spurts and weight gain and waiting for the two to kind of meet up?

I found the original premise ridiculous, but one of the better weight loss shows about. I honestly really want this to be pulled/cancelled.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:49 pm 
orange you prolific

We make them with venison in Michigan but the gravy goes on the outside for ours, just meat and veggies inside.
Angell wrote:
FadingHippie wrote:
btw: off topic -- what are "pasties" I'm not even sure if that's the spelling... it's just sort of sounds like - pah - stees --- ???

Ewww, Personally I hate Pasties. The originate from Cornwall where I lived for two and a half years so being around them for so long gets to you! :)

Your 'Original' pasty is meat & potato in a gravey sauce wrapped in pastry but you do get veggie one's too. Some people love them *Shudder*

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:55 pm 
orange you prolific

Some kids are naturally heavy, some are naturally thin. It's like people in general...If a kid eats healthy enough and is active enough weight doesn't matter (this goes for adults too). I was underweight as a kid but I ate fine, I was just a really active kid with the genes for being fairly small.

I think as long as kids are offered a variety of food and are played with they do fine *shrugs*. I did ok until my home life took a downward turn and I took to binging then starving to kill the pain,.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:43 am 
orange is a state of mind

I have a hate/love relationship with this show
the majority of the parents need a kick up the backside, being unable to say NO to their children and allowing them to do whatever they like, and so far (watching 3rd ep) it seems to have had an effect

But I reaally don't like the swapping meals part
I just find it cruel...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:58 am 
orange is a state of mind

Hmm... I was a naturally thin kid when I was little (I have kindy books with a "wish" to put on weight written in them!). I had a healthy appetite too. My little sister was incredibly picky and barely ate (eats) and she was always a bit chubby...

As a kid, your "choice" in food is limited to what your parents offer you. It's not until you are buying your own food and have more responsibility for meals that an exercise like this would have any effect.

Thinking back to the foods I had compared to my friends - I dunno how they'd go with that...My friends always went "eww" when they saw my PB and jam sandwich on brown (wholemeal) bread. I loved it. Actually, thinking to the level of junk food they got...I don't know I would have liked that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:06 am 
orange scribe

See I don't think these kids (based on the one episode I watched) are naturally at either side of the spectrum (or at least not to the degree of their present state)...

I think it said a lot in the first episode that when they came back 6 (is that the right number???) months later each had only gained or lost 3 pounds respectively.

I think they need to focus on their parents' issues as well. Why they are unable to say no or put their foot down. What's going on with that dynamic

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:06 pm 
orange you prolific

What are everyones opinions on the adult show? I just saw the advert for it again and still, the idea of the whole concept for both shows just disgusts me..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:28 pm 
orange scribe

CaptainAwesome2.0 wrote:
What are everyones opinions on the adult show? I just saw the advert for it again and still, the idea of the whole concept for both shows just disgusts me..

I think there's a thread somewhere on this show around here, because I remember commented on it... I'm fairly positive that I was in the minority when I said it did not bother me.

For me it's a few things:

a) They're doing this voluntarily... they've seen the show, they know what they're getting into

b) Yes, they're eating in a way for a week that is insane (but I really think they're trying to show each person that they wouldn't want someone else to have to eat that meal, so why is it okay for them?)

c) They see the health consequences.

d) At the end they're given a meal plan custom for them by a dietitian. They're not told to eat the way they do in that house for 6 months. They're getting a plan tailored to them BY a dietitian. If you ever watch, none of them lose an astonishing or unhealthy amount of weight in the months before they reunite... which to me shows that this show is not demand some extreme immediate turn around the way the Biggest Loser does...

e) They do try to delve at least a little into the WHY factor

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:45 pm 
orange you prolific

The fact theyre adults who fully concent to their actions and the true impact being on the show will have on their everyday lives after, the kids..children..are still just that- kids. What about their school life? Career? Its an impact, at that age you just wouldnt be able to fathom. I think the meal swapping is inappropriate in both shows, especially when ive seen people who are really gripped in anorexia being sat down and focused with cameras whilst a burger is sat infront of them..the real battles are inside. It feels to me like theyre backing up the "just eat more" theory, which we all know is an assumption far from the truth

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:47 pm 
orange scribe

I DO have a problem with the kids. You asked about the regular show. The view stated above is with respect to the regular show.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:48 pm 
orange scribe

CaptainAwesome2.0 wrote:
It feels to me like theyre backing up the "just eat more" theory, which we all know is an assumption far from the truth

I disagree. Why?

Because they've told someone before they were exhibiting signs of an eating disorder... They've shown snippets of people being counseled. If they thought it was "just eat more" or "just eat less" they wouldn't look at the "why"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:15 pm 
orange you prolific

I think ive confused the thread between show..i wont be using my phone for debates agaim hehe! If i watch a new episode, i may change my opinion...it was a case of no sych jthst diet last time i watched it all..if i dont find it a trigger!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:32 pm 
orange scribe

CaptainAwesome2.0 wrote:
I think ive confused the thread between show..i wont be using my phone for debates agaim hehe! If i watch a new episode, i may change my opinion...it was a case of no sych jthst diet last time i watched it all..if i dont find it a trigger!

I've only seen the first ep of the kids and it bothered me.

I've also only seen the first couple of seasons of the adults (I'm not in the UK, but I found them online and have seen ALL of the ones from those seasons), but my opinions on the adult are listed above. I don't have an issue with the adult version at all...

I can also see where you're coming from thoug, I just think it's different in the adult version

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:07 pm 
galactic orange

i watched one of the shows, and i dont actually thing its as bad as it sounds.

the lessons they are teaching both children and parents, are about SENSIBLE eating, and regular excercise. they are showing how bad it is to be both too fat, and too thin.

i think its the only thing i have seen showing clearly the negatives to being too thin, which i beleive is just as important as showing the negatives of being to fat.

maybe it shouldnt be on tv, but i do think it is actually quite positive that they are highlighting both sides, and showing people how they and their children might be able to change it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 pm 
orange scribe

if it weren't on tv maybe... but I just imagine those children getting mocked at school... and clearly the issues for the first duo were not resolved... his mother still was not able to tell him know - he'd actually thought he'd gained weight...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next