Last visit was: It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:57 am 
post-mod squad

It offends me... but I still love Family Guy. Is that bad?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:22 am 
orange is a state of mind

sparrowsgirl wrote:
It offends me... but I still love Family Guy. Is that bad?

No, we've all got different tastes, so if you like it, then like it!

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:27 am 

Family guy can be offensive but that is kind of the point of the show. I still love it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:48 pm 
orange is hot

wickedrache wrote:
I agree that a big beef to be had with Family Guy is the issue of its appeal to children. I wouldn't fancy the mocking of bulimia on Looney Tunes, (which is also funny to adults and has jokes that no child would get) and I guess I think if the Family Guy creators going to have a show that appeals to kids, even if it's not their responsibility to make it their focus since they are not pretending it's a children's show, some thought should be given to sensitive things.

Isn't that like saying Trojan shouldn't put out spermicidal condoms because kids could think they're balloons and try to blow them up (as nonoxynol-9 can be harmful if swallowed)? If something's not for kids, it's not for kids, and it becomes the consumer's responsibility to make sure their kids aren't exposed to it. Likewise, if you find something offensive, it becomes your responsibility not to expose yourself to it; no one's forcing you to watch Family Guy, and anyone who's actually forming serious opinions about topics based on what Family Guy does is the type of person who's probably going to think anorexics don't eat and EDs are strictly voluntary, anyway.

EDIT: I should mention that the "you" there is the general you, I'm not trying to single out wickedrache!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:54 pm 

I agree wickedrache

Even when the Simpsons had an episode where Lisa had eating issues, it was dealt with quite well for a cartoon
(although I LOL'd at "Purging Room Only" on the loos, and the assistant singing "Planing down the thighs")

If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:01 pm 
orange wonder

Fishbulb wrote:
I agree wickedrache

Even when the Simpsons had an episode where Lisa had eating issues, it was dealt with quite well for a cartoon

Especially for a cartoon targeted at the young adult and older audience, absolutely.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:08 pm 

Parts of the simpsons ep actually made me cry...the bit with the carrot, and "great...now I can't have toothpaste tonight"

That was heartbreaking, I really think they did it well

If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:34 pm 
kismetjeska

Ahh, that Simpsons episode played in my first night IP. So awkward.

I thought it was really well done too, but very sad. There were a few bits that made me pull faces but I thought overall it was handled well. I know it was a comedy episode, but to me it showed a lot about our society... 8 year old girls in shops advertising size zero and eating disorders.

"I hear she's back to her birth weight."

:-(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:24 pm 

I think it's the best way that a cartoon has dealt with it
It really made me cry, but I was impressed with the whole thing
I seem to remember the proana community I was on saying "shit- she's 8 years old and she's already to our stage" which made me sad, although when I was in the proana stuff I hadn't seen that episode
I think it helps though, because Yeardley Smith, who plays Lisa Simpson, was bulimic for many years, so it felt true, not funny, because she had a past with the eating disordered stuff

I might be wrong because I haven't seen many of them that far into the Simpsons episodes, but it did say at the end of the episode that it's not something that she can just forget about by next week...but I don't remember it coming back...
Although there was the ballerina episode where she became addicted to passive smoking

I can't find the quote but it's something along the lines of "smoking makes you thin, focussed, balanced and thin"

I wish I could find the whole quote though

If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:52 pm 
power lies within

Quote:
Lisa: This is so hard.
Ballerina: Get used to it. We ballerinas are under constant pressure to stay focused, skinny, graceful and skinny.
Lisa: How do you cope with it?
Ballerina: You find out what works for you. For some people it might be yoga, for others, meditation.
Lisa: Mm!
Ballerina: But for every ballerina in the world, it's cigarettes.
Lisa: Cigarettes!? They can kill you!
Ballerina: If god didn't want ballerinas to smoke, how come I can do this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:00 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Quote:
If something's not for kids, it's not for kids, and it becomes the consumer's responsibility to make sure their kids aren't exposed to it.

So, are you saying that there should be no regulatory controls, like age restrictions on purchasing or drinking alcohol, or the ratings system for movies?

Quote:
Likewise, if you find something offensive, it becomes your responsibility not to expose yourself to it

Anything? It's my responsibility not to expose myself to anything which is offensive? Yeah, I dunno...I was the key witness in the prosecution and conviction of a distributor who was renting out a snuff movie (one in which actors are actually killed during filming). I think my respnsibility is to keep fighting to try to make positive changes in the world, and avoiding exposure to offensive things, like child poverty or third world exploitation, does nothing about the fact that they are happening.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:28 pm 
orange is hot

Oh, there absolutely should not be a movie ratings system. Check out the documentary "This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated" for a good look at the history and role of the ratings board, and why it's complete horseshit.

Are you really, seriously comparing an episode of Family Guy to murder and child prostitution? I shouldn't even have to point out that murder and child prostitution are murder and child prostitution, whereas Family Guy saying something that you, personally, find offensive is strictly a matter of taste and individual sensibility. You have ultimate control over your own life and the influences in it, and you can choose to change the channel or turn off the TV if you don't like what's on it. You can even try to put out your own message via the medium, to counter, supplement or venomously decry the offending show.

That's what freedom of speech is; Seth McFarlane can make offensive jokes, and you can tell everyone how offensive and wrong those jokes are. If you feel like he's spreading ignorance, why not try to spread knowledge instead of impinging on someone else's inalienable right?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:59 pm 
exploring my potential!

Honestly, Family Guy really bothers me. I watched a few episodes with an ex-boyfriend once (he was a major fan) and actually felt like crying at the insensitivity of it all. Reading the first post on this thread really bothered me, and I think if I'd actually seen the episode it would have been extremely triggering, definitely with the ability to cause a relapse, even though I've never been mia, but ana for years. "Fat" jokes and comments are extremely triggering because I used to be fat (seriously) due to metabolic disorders, and so I was always the fat kid everyone teased.... Memories still come up even now, and are some of the biggests obstacles in recovery right now. Especially in our weight-obsessed culture, a show that makes a joke out of such things adds insult to injury, in a lot of ways, and I can't help but wonder how many teenagers will be started on the road to eating disorders as a result of it-- because the episodes "normalize" teasing behaviors. That's just awful.

Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:20 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Blue Decay wrote:
Check out the documentary "This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated" for a good look at the history and role of the ratings board, and why it's complete horseshit.

I am very well informed on the subject. I still believe that a ratings system is important. The fact that we do not do something well is no argument that we do not do it at all. I could give examples, but I'm afraid that trying to broaden the discussion will lead to more comments like this:

Blue Decay wrote:
Are you really, seriously comparing an episode of Family Guy to murder and child prostitution?

Actually, I never compared an episode of Family Guy to anything. My post never even mentioned Family Guy. The sordid truth is that I have never even seen the show. My post was about taking issue with blanket abolutes you stated, like:

Blue Decay wrote:
Likewise, if you find something offensive, it becomes your responsibility not to expose yourself to it

The problem is, I can't find the line in the sand that draws distinctions between what is "offensive" and what should otherwise be controlled. (Again, just so you're clear, I'm NOT talking about Family Guy, but about general concepts.) For example, I think we can agree that snuff movies should be illegal. But is it quite as easy to say that movies that depict scenes of explicit and graphic violence should not be illegal? Is the dividing line located only at the point where there is a direct victim, or does the proliferation of evidence that violent media both promote and reinforce violent behaviour give any justification to censoring it? Me, I find media that depict gratutitous violence (violence for the sake of violence, or violence as entertainment) as offensive as I would find media which depicted child prostitution and third world poverty as entertainment, offensive.

And as an aging political activist, I confess, I cannot bring myself to just not look at things I find offensive. My code requires me to be informed and choose my battles.

Blue Decay wrote:
I shouldn't even have to point out that murder and child prostitution are murder and child prostitution

Do not patronise me.

If you want to debate something, debate it. Spare me recitations of the obvious.

Blue Decay wrote:
why not try to spread knowledge instead of impinging on someone else's inalienable right?

I am not going to parade out my academic, professional and activist qualifications for your benefit. Why not try to know something about a person before making suggestions?

Finally, I don't know where you live, but in Canada all rights are constutionally subject to any restrictions which are reasonably justified in a free and democratic society. I'll take our way of doing things.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:06 pm 
orange is hot

If you don't want to be patronized, don't say silly things. All of your "credentials" mean nothing to me; I judge you by your words and your words alone. If you don't want to be offered suggestions you find redundant, try actually doing something about all those horrible, offensive, nasty things you so despise rather than blathering on about them on the intertubes.

And for the love of God, if you haven't even seen a television show, don't flap your metaphorical gums in a thread dedicated to it.

I live in America, and while I might hate some of the actions we take with every fiber of my being, I love the principles on which this country was founded - freedom of speech being the most important, the one from which all others spring. That's what I meant when I mentioned inalienable rights - and given that Family Guy is an American show, it's subject to those truths that our founders thought self-evident.

Spender wrote:
My post was about taking issue with blanket abolutes you stated, like:

Blue Decay wrote:

The problem is, I can't find the line in the sand that draws distinctions between what is "offensive" and what should otherwise be controlled.

I'll tell you where that line should be drawn: at children, animals and the unwilling. An adult of sound mind has the absolute right to do, say, think and feel whatever they please, and if you don't like what they're doing and saying, you have the absolute right not to expose yourself or your children to it. For the purposes of discussion, I'm talking about media in a private arena - books, movies, TV, music, theater and art - as I do believe in some form of decorum when one is walking down the sidewalk. If I want to write and record a song about a violent psychopath stalking a girl, watching her get raped by her father, and killing her father before raping and killing her while having god delusions, I will write and record that song, and others will have the right to listen to it if they please, and call it horrible, violent garbage if they feel so. What cannot be done is levy blame on me if someone who hears my song goes out and rapes and kills someone; they as an individual made that choice, not me. I don't know how much coverage it got in Canada, but we had this discussion after the Columbine shootings, and it was decided that no, Marilyn Manson did not cause those two unfortunate kids to do what they did.

And in case anyone was wondering, yes, someone has written a song like that; it's called "Christ, I Fucking Hate You," and can be found on Vehemence's story/concept album God Was Created. It's an absolutely brilliant album, and you don't have to listen to it if you don't want to. I'll just enjoy it myself, and leave you to your own taste in music.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next