Last visit was: It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: about-face.org
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:49 pm 
orange you glad?

So I came across this site and ...am speechless. http://www.about-face.org/ brought a lot to my attention that I never thoroughly questioned. This site has a lot to do with challenging negative media images...ecsp. geared toward women. With that said there ARE TRIGGERING IMAGES. If these images could bother you...I highly suggest not going. If you want to take a look at what you are subconciously being told every time you open a magazine or turn on the television...you'll be intrigued.

Both sites were refreshing and healthy minded. Made me question what I was supporting..I do not support sexism, blatant eating disorders, or violence. Yet I am...every time I make a purchase from specific designers...or even open my mind to their sick, fucked ads.

(On a more personal side note...I found these sites looking for something to make me feel better...)

Not only do I feel better...but slightly ashamed for having an eating disorder. I am a statistic that other girls out there are striving to be...fuck that! I dont want to be a tool reinforcing what the media..diet, sex, alcohol, food, smoking industries are already feeding to innocent minds. I don't want to be looked at as "lucky" "perfect" or "naturally thin" from an outsiders view...who knows not the agony of mental or physical state being "model like" in the name of an eating disorder. Im not!!! I am normally an easy 15 lbs heavier. What I am now...is not natural. Not nature given. Why have I fought what I was given for so long? Because I am also guilty of wanting to be seen as a sexual object. I am overly sexual to be natural as a female. I thrive for acceptance and worthiness through a mans attention. I wonder where a 12 yr old originally got these ideas..? hmmm...who knows?) :-?

With that said I am officially no longer looking at nor purchasing any type of magazines...health related or not. There are too many mixed messages Ive priorly noticed...that aren't worth my honest made money. Or a place to offer doubt and insecurity in my already weakened mind.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:51 pm 
orange you glad?

I'll be the first to say ads make me feel...like a fat worthless undesirable thing. Mostly b/c Ive allowed it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:00 pm 
the original orange

I have a decade of experience doing professional print design. I even worked a brief stint in advertising, designing fast food coupons for three major restaurant chains for across Canada. I know how much time goes into fixing images to make them look "perfect"... and I was just working on food images! I wasn't even working with people... but I understand all the work that goes into making advertising images better than real. Better than life. [once spent seven hours colour-correcting lettuce for an image going on a bus shelter.]

That's what it's all about, isn't it? Trying to create this feeling that life is somehow BETTER in the ads... fostering a sense of insecurity in the beholder making them feel compelled to consume more products and services. Capitalism rears it's ugly head.

I think I take a lot of this industry knowledge for granted...

About-face is an excellent site. Not as familiar with gurl.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:08 pm 
orange you glad?

Thats a good point I didn't think about. They are selling to the consumer. Everything DOES need to appear better in ads...clothing, women, food...hell, mcdonalds food looks delicious in ads...and is horrible in all actuality. :)

Great point to bring up Muse. They show perfection...so that we will buy it. I've been buying for awhile now...that volumizing shampoo that still leaves my lame hair flat. Or the teeth whitening trays...that don't work so well for people with crooked teeth...(i speak from personal experience.)
And damn Victorias Secret clothing...they appear to be form fitting and perfect...yeah for the model theyre pinned to...not for me. It's a never ending "I need to fix this"...that is not even happening. Ive payed..so where the hell is my "perfection"?

I wonder...if I didn't spend so much time, effort and money on beauty products...what could I have or do thats useful?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:29 pm 
orange you prolific

fukuana wrote:
beauty products...

The problem is who the "beauty products" are designed for.

Sure as hell isn't my lopsided, lumpy, one tit bigger than the other ugly ass

:squish:

:-)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:37 pm 
orange you glad?

lmao! :-) Im pretty sure we all have one bigger...i refer to mine much like the movie Superstar. The left one is the momma and the right the baby. Why Im sharing this...? I don't quite know. lol

Id love love love to start a thread of "things that arent perfect about me, but i dont give a flying fuck!". In fact Im going to do just that. I feel like I have to cover up soo much just to post a picture that people look at for maybe 3 seconds. :-? really whoooo cares??? i know nobody here does...just me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:46 pm 
the original orange

fukuana wrote:
Thats a good point I didn't think about. They are selling to the consumer. Everything DOES need to appear better in ads...clothing, women, food...hell, mcdonalds food looks delicious in ads...and is horrible in all actuality. :)

First, you have models. Perfect as possible. Then you have a professional photographer taking pictures of these models or products. Then, you have a design team that will spend several hours making the photos perfect, then place these photos in well-designed ad layouts that attract the eye and make the "thing" seem as impressive as possible. It's all very planned out and deliberate. The message to be sold to the consumer is all thought out, with a storyboard, specific colours, fonts, and heavily Photoshopped images all utilized to make you want it. To make you feel like... like this thing could maybe make you feel better. Feel better about how shitty everything is. I sometimes think that the whole of society is set up so that everyone's lives are shitty and transient, leaving us always miserable and wanting. Always needing... always in a position where we would be vulnerable to a steady stream of propaganda renamed "advertising". It's all propaganda. All of it. The most effective designers are ones who can direct masses of people to do a certain thing, buy a certain product, choose a certain service, embrace a way of life... they make it attractive. They make it seem like a no-brainer.

I'm a designer. I put a lot of careful thought into the way I designed this site, so that it would catch the eye... so that it would grab attention... stand out from the thousands of other web sites on this topic. I used colours others aren't using. I created an image that was... totally not what you'd expect on something like this... :x

I used repetition of certain phrases (we bite back, orange you glad, post-pro-ana) that were very simple. I wanted to reach as low a common denominator as possible, so I reduced it right down to colour=food=site. :x

I can't help but over-analyze every single commercial I see, every ad I view. A lot of the really big companies have commercials that have absolutely nothing to do with their products, aside from showing it.

Branding. It's meaningless. It's repetitive. You remember it. (The Geico lizard is an example? The Telus ads with schools of fish... having nothing to do with cellphones? Animals are chosen in advertising because animals bring up happy, warm feelings. These ads are designed to stir up very base emotions of happiness and warmth to whatever is being shown. They are trying to get you to feel good about them as a company.)

Quote:
Great point to bring up Muse. They show perfection...so that we will buy it. I've been buying for awhile now...that volumizing shampoo that still leaves my lame hair flat. Or the teeth whitening trays...that don't work so well for people with crooked teeth...(i speak from personal experience.)

In both cases, you were compelled to purchase these items because you were convinced you needed them. You were convinced you had a problem that was the reason for your misery and they had the fix. They had the cure! They make up the problem and then sell you the cure! They try to tell you that this will make you happy. Products, money... the whole lot... will not make anyone happy. [If you want to be happy, you have to choose to be a happy person. Despite the world. The world is a shitty place. There are too many people intentionally working to make it a shitty place for others so that they can make a profit. See this for what it is. Choose to make the world a better place. Your actions DO matter. The way you live your life DOES make a difference.]

Quote:
And damn Victorias Secret clothing...they appear to be form fitting and perfect...yeah for the model theyre pinned to...not for me. It's a never ending "I need to fix this"...that is not even happening. Ive payed..so where the hell is my "perfection"?

Those models are Photoshopped. They are made to look as perfect as possible so that you will believe that you will look like a model after she's been touched up in Photoshop when you buy the product. And you are convinced that you are SUPPOSED to look like a model after she's been touched up in Photoshop. As if it were real. As if it were possible. But it is all a lie. See it for what it is! Then seek out human beings who value seeing the world for what it is... and they will appreciate you for who you are.

Quote:
I wonder...if I didn't spend so much time, effort and money on beauty products...what could I have or do thats useful?

What is important to you? Look at your values. What problems are there in the world? What can you do to make a difference?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:18 pm 
healthy is sexy

Advertisements have never really bothered me much. It's all about selling the product, so of course they have to project false ideas--you, too, can attain true happiness if you JUST BUY THIS PRODUCT! For the low cost of $9.95 all your troubles will go away. It's bullshit, obviously. And I choose not to buy into it. Seeing super skinny models doesn't bother me, either. It's their job to be that thin. They're paid to weigh that little.

It doesn't make me feel angry or indignant or betrayed. It's just how things are, and it works, so it's probably how things will continue to be. I choose not to let it get to me. Although I do hate commercials with a HOT FIERY PASSION! Just because they're so loud and pointless. But now I hardly watch television, so... problem solved?

Offline Profile