Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Melissa McCarthy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:00 am 
power lies within

Back in February, she got a rather personal and hurtful review which had nearly nothing to do with the film, and everything to do with her body.

Quote:
There's a fine line between criticism and insult -- and the New York Observer's film critic crosses it. Writing about Identity Thief, the new comedy starring Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy, veteran movie reviewer Rex Reed not only trashes the flick but also attacks its female lead on a very personal level.

In the scathing write-up, Reed calls McCarthy "cacophonous" and "tractor-sized" -- "a gimmick comedian who has devoted her short career to being obese and obnoxious with equal success." He also refers to her character in the "chunk of junk" flick as Bateman's "female hippo" and a "screeching, humongous creep."

The comments about the Mike & Molly star's size are a low blow, especially considering that the 42-year-old actress has been so candid in the past about her struggle to lose weight and accept her curves. Speaking to Good Housekeeping in November 2012, the Bridesmaids actress said: "I don't really know why I'm not thinner than I am. I don't really drink soda, I don't have a sweet tooth, and we eat healthfully at home." (She also regularly plays tennis and does Pilates.)

"Sometimes I wish I were just magically a size 6 and I never had to give it a single thought," the Emmy winner told the mag. "But I am weirdly healthy, so I don't beat myself up about it -- it wouldn't help, and I don't want to pass that on to my girls." (McCarthy and her husband, actor Ben Falcone, are parents to daughters Vivian, 5, and Georgette, 2.)

"You just have to say, 'It's pretty damn good. I am right here at the moment and I'm okay with it,'" she said of her body image. "I've got other things to think about."
Via US Weekly

She issued a statement today addressing it:
Quote:
In a soft voice, McCarthy said her initial reaction to the piece was "Really?" She then asked, "Why would someone O.K. that?"

Taking the high road, McCarthy added, "I felt really bad for someone who is swimming in so much hate. I just thought, that's someone who's in a really bad spot, and I am in such a happy spot. I laugh my head off every day with my husband and my kids who are mooning me and singing me songs."
Via US Weekly

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Melissa McCarthy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:00 pm 
orange is hot

It's hard enough being a woman in any sort of public profession. So often the response is mostly or entirely appearance-based. Female politicians, athletes, writers, musicians, actors... it's so dumb, because they are smart and talented people and those brains and talents are being completely overlooked.

I think she handled it gracefully and wisely. What strangers say is nothing compared to how you feel and the people you love.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Melissa McCarthy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:17 pm 
orange goddess

I wish Mike and Molly wasn't such a horrible show, because she's awesome.

(I watched two episodes. Worst television ever. Too much fat hatred, homophobia, racism, sexism, and not funny at all).

Offline Profile