Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: TRIGGER WARNING: Imagine not having a choice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:23 am 
admin goddess from hell

Read at your peril; this goes to the heart of what we try to achieve in the throes of our eating disorders. Imagine being born and living with no fat at all, and the medical conditions that ensue. I wonder how much she would give to be in our position, and being able to have adiopose tissue - fat - which is increasingly recognised as a hormone-producing organ - on her body?

Quote:
Lizzie Velasquez, Born Without Adipose Tissue: 'Maybe You Should Stop Staring And Start Learning'

Twenty-three-year-old Lizzie Velasquez was born without any adipose tissue -- meaning she has no fat on her body.

As a result, she weighs just 58 pounds, even though she eats as many as 60 times a day, the Daily Mail reported. she has been the subject of cyberbullying and stares when she walks out in public, she recently revealed to Dr. Drew Pinsky on HLN.

Some cyberbullies even dubbed her the "ugliest woman in the world," because of her appearance due to her medical condition, she said.

"It's not easy, I will be the first to tell you it's not easy," Velasquez told Dr. Drew. "I may have this outer exterior of people saying, 'She can handle everything, she's dealt with this for so long,' and to be honest, I'm human and of course these things are going to hurt."

Back in 2010, The Telegraph reported that Velasquez consumes 5,000 to 8,000 calories a day -- eating food every 15 minutes. But because of the condition, the Texas State University in San Marcos student has never weighed much more than 60 pounds, she wrote in the description of her book that came out earlier this year, titled "Be Beautiful, Be You."

Velasquez's condition is extremely rare; she is just one of three people in the entire world to have it, she noted in her book description.

The Telegraph reported that doctors believe she may have something called Neonatal Progeroid Syndrome. It is a condition that leads to premature aging, but is different from the more common aging disorder, progeria, according to the National Institutes of Health. It is characterized by wrinkled skin, not much fat, a large head, a face that looks aged and visible veins in the scalp.

"I think the biggest things I have to deal with is constantly people staring at me as soon as I walk into a room," Velasquez told Dr. Drew. "Recently, it's been a lot of adults I've been having to deal with who will slowly walk in front of me and turn their heads, and look me up and down. So the stares are what I'm really dealing with in public right now."

But "instead of just sitting by and watching these people judge me, I'm starting to want to go up to these people and introduce myself, or give them my card, and say, 'Maybe you should stop staring and start learning.'"

'Maybe You Should Stop Staring And Start Learning'

Beware if you go to the original article, as photos are extremely graphic.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: TRIGGER WARNING: Imagine not having a choice
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:36 am 
orange goddess

My therapist told me about her. I didn't believe it.. I saw you posted this and it put it into perspective.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:32 am 
power lies within

I saw a story on her a while back and yes, it made me think a lot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:47 pm 
post-mod squad

Yeah↑↑↑↑

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:25 pm 
post-mod squad

I saw her story too and just felt bad for her. She's a beautiful person stuck in a body that doesn't do what she would like it to do yet she lives with it anyway. We can all take a lesson from her.

Offline Profile