Last visit was: It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: “This Old Thing—I Got It On Sale”
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:15 am 
admin goddess from hell

How many of us are told by a friend or family member that we are looking good as we progress through our recovery processes, yet we hear only the "hidden meaning" that we look fat? How often do we turn genuinely meant compliments around by deprecating ourselves, either by contradiction or by "deflection": responding by critiquing a different aspect of our bodies or looks? Sure, it would be easier if the people around us never commented on our looks or how we look "better" (ugh - fatter, right?), but the world we live in is one where people who love us want us to be well and appreciate the physical changes without understanding how emotionally difficult it is. The other thing, as described in the article below, is that there is a huge cultural emphasis on looks in many "developed" nations, and surrounded by media promulgating "acceptable and desireable" appearances, we find it difficult even without eating disorders to feel like we measure up. And I expect that men are experiencing very similar pressures to meet culturally acceptable definitions of attractiveness, making them also more vulnerable to staying trapped inside an eating disorder mentality.

What would it take for you to accept and genuinely appreciate a compliment on your looks? How do you think acceptance and appreciation would make you feel, or, how does it make you feel?

Quote:
“This Old Thing—I Got It On Sale”—Women and Their Relationship with Compliments
Do women realize they often do this when faced with a compliment?
Published on July 26, 2012 by Maria Baratta, Ph.D., L.C.S.W.

I was recently at a professional event and someone commented to a colleague of mine that she looked really nice and that the jacket she was wearing was pretty. She replied by saying “this old thing—I've had this jacket for years.” And I added that an even more predictable reply could have been “this old thing, I got it on sale.” Do women realize they often do this when faced with a compliment and when the gracious response should be a simple “thank you?” Why do women do that?

I first became aware of this behavior in the 1970’s when I was in college and took a course entitled “The Feminist Movement.” Part of the curriculum was an extensive questionnaire that asked whether we deflected compliments and whether we women said “sorry” when someone bumped into us. Well of course I answered “yes” to those questions as did my classmates which prompted weeks of discussions and “consciousness raising” sessions about women and those responses. But the closest we got to an explanation of why women did those things was the fact that women were raised to be “good girls” and that those were automatic responses that we needed to rethink. So with years of practice, I learned to say “thank you” to a compliment (most of the time) and to not apologize when someone bumped into me or stepped on my toes. But it still remains common for women to say “this old thing” and “sorry” when someone bumps into them. What is it about those responses and why does it happen? What is it about women and compliments?

One explanation might be that our culture places inordinate importance on appearance and women spend inordinate time and energy in that pursuit and when finally acknowledged, feign indifference, perhaps a left-over Victorian notion of modesty. In my research of women and the notion of beauty in our culture I found that women find it very difficult to feel okay just the way they are in a culture that promotes self improvement at every turn. A compliment validates the effort of trying to look good; and with that comes the complicated relationship with that validation which includes discomfort with compliments while paradoxically craving them. I would also suggest that there is a lack of awareness in the automatic response of deflecting a compliment which might suggest that there is some degree of denial about wanting validation.

So when will women consistently say “thank you” when someone pays us a compliment or says something nice about how we look? Now might be a good time.

Psychology Today

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile