Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Melissa McCarthy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:38 am 
admin goddess from hell

Things we can believe at any size; I don't know her from a hole in the wall, but good on her for recognising that her occasional moments of insanity ("I wish I were magically a size 6) are balanced off with reality: "You just have to say, 'It's pretty damn good. I am right here at the moment and I'm OK with it. I've got other things to think about.'"

Quote:
Melissa McCarthy's realistic portrayal of a plus-sized character on TV's "Mike and Mike" has won her a devoted fan following — and an Emmy! — but that doesn't mean the actress is always completely comfortable in her own skin.

In the December issue of Good Housekeeping, the 42-year-old opens up about her ongoing struggle to lose weight. "Sometimes I wish I were just magically a size 6 and I never had to give it a single thought," admits McCarthy, whose hilarious turn in "Bridesmaids" also helped put her on the map. "But I am weirdly healthy, so I don't beat myself up about it — it wouldn't help, and I don't want to pass that on to my girls."

McCarthy, who has two daughters — Vivian, 5, and Georgette, 2 — with her actor husband Ben Falcone, say she stays active by doing Pilates and playing tennis, but her exercise regime hasn't made her Hollywood skinny. "I don't really know why I'm not thinner than I am," the Illinois native candidly tells the magazine. "I don't really drink soda; I don't have a sweet tooth, and we eat healthfully at home.'

Although she has some insecurities, McCarthy is realistic and knows she's not the only woman out there struggling with her body image. "Pretty much everyone I know, no matter what size, is trying some system," she says, referring to the seemingly endless list of weight-loss programs on the market. "Even when someone gets to looking like she should be so proud of herself, instead she's like, 'I could be another three pounds less; I could be a little taller and have bigger lips.' Where does it end? … You just have to say, 'It's pretty damn good. I am right here at the moment and I'm OK with it. I've got other things to think about.'"

For McCarthy, one of the things she has to think about it is booming movie career. In addition to playing sweet and lovable Molly Flynn-Biggs — a fourth-grade teacher who met her now-husband Mike in an Overeaters Anonymous group and constantly struggles with her weight — the actress has a string of films in the works. Next up is Judd Apatow's star-studded "Knocked Up" sequel, "This Is 40," which comes out later this year. In 2013, she'll show off her skillful comic timing again in "Identity Thief" with Jason Bateman and in "The Heat" with Sandra Bullock.

McCarthy also hasn't given up her plans to launch a plus-size clothing line. During awards show season last year — she was an Academy Award nominee for her role in "Bridesmaids" — she often complained about the lack of fashion-forward choices for fuller-figured females, noting that the options were "either for like a 98-year-old woman or a 14-year-old hooker, and nothing in the middle." So she's starting her own collection — just as soon as she gets a break in between her back-to-back movie schedule. "I've been so busy this past year that I haven't been able to [launch it yet]," she told Entertainment Weekly in September. However, "We're getting closer. … I'm definitely excited!"

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/balancedliving/melissa-mccarthy-her-weight-struggle-sometimes-wish-were-194954203.html

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Melissa McCarthy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 am 
orange you prolific

I hope that clothing line comes out soon and is wildfully successful! Good on her for speaking up on her size; it is refreshing to hear from a famous person who lives a healthy lifestyle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:07 am 
orange goddess

She seems to have a really good head on her shoulders.

I wish Mike and Molly where a much better show. You would hope that with so many people overweight it would be easy to make a sympathetic tv show about people who are bigger. I tried watching Mike and Molly but was pretty disgusted with all the cruel fat jokes and racism. Also it wasn't very funny. It was the first time I'd seen binge eating disorder addressed on tv. Maybe someone else can write a much more sympathetic portrayal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:23 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Meh I think they should just ban clothes sizes and see everything with cords that you can draw in to fit.

Omg business idea.

All mine.
Hands off !

Life is what you make it :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 pm 
orange you prolific

^ Well some of us can't tie a good knot to save our lives and have lost trousers that way...Also things that fit in the waist can always be way too baggy feeling in the leg.

I say we just do away with size related shame AND go with the men's sizing style (waist and inseam..that last bit is very important for the more petite among us!) for women. I'm sick of vanity sizing (and everything looking like it's for people whose legs are as long as my whole body.) I don't care what size I wear, I just want to find stuff that fits easily!!!

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile