Last visit was: It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Brother suffering from binge eating!
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:47 am 
stranger in an orange land

Hello. My brother has binge eating disorder. He used to chew foods vigorously and he suddenly broke one of his teeth. The pain became so severe that he was unconscious. We took him to an emergency dental care in Toronto for a treatment to repair his broken tooth. He was not able to consume solid food for 2 days. Not only this, his cholesterol level also has shooted up. His health condition is at stake. He relieves his stress by binge eating. He has no idea how much food he is consuming within a shorter period of time. I am fed up of taking him to counseling sessions. What else should I do? Can it be treated?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Brother suffering from binge eating!
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:24 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Yes, recovery from binge eating disorder is possible, but only if the person acknowledges they have a problem and they want to work on fixing it. It doesn't sound like your brother is there yet.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Brother suffering from binge eating!
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:26 pm 
post-mod squad

Recovery is definitely possible but there is no quick fix. As you say, this is a reaction to stress. He is learning new ways to manage his stress during counseling and that will help. The thing to remember is that there is nothing YOU can do to help him manage his stress better because HE is the one who is stressed. It's totally understandable that you're worried about his longterm health and irritated by the additional demands he is placing on you (and I encourage you to set healthy boundaries with him). But you'll want to be careful not to add to his stress by shaming him for the binge behavior or nagging him about his cholesterol. I'm sure he knows those are problems already and making him feel guilty about the behavior will only add to his stress levels (which is counter productive).

Offline Profile