Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: You're NOT too fat to be in treatment!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:59 am 
orange like clockwork

The amount of times I've read/heard people with ED's how the perception that they're too fat to be in treatment, or that they are in some way inferior or 'not as good' as those who are sicker than them. It's a perception that I myself held for a while. But now I'm recovered, I understand that it's actually just the voice of the ED trying to keep me sick. So I wanted to share my take on perception versus reality on this topic.

Perception: I'm too fat to be in treatment. All the other girls in treatment are so much thinner than me. I'm a total whale compared to them. I don't deserve to be here. People are going to think I'm a wannarexic. It's not like I'm sick enough to be in IP etc.

Reality:
- Eating disorders happen at ALL WEIGHTS AND ALL SHAPES AND SIZES.
- Someone else's weight, BMI or level of treatment does not make them any better or worse than you.
- If you're focussing on how much sicker everyone else it than how you perceive yourself to be, then you'll only get sicker. If you channel that energy into striving towards health and happiness instead, you'll have a much easier, faster recovery.
- If you're already suffering now, why would you strive to be sicker? Sure, you might feel "fat" compared to the girls in IP if you're outpatient or whatever, but you're totally missing the advantages you've got because you're (probably) healthier. Think of how much more freedom you have. How you've got more chance of living a normal, healthy life - spending time with friends and family, having a job, travelling, achieving your non-ED related dreams.
- ED's are NOT a competition. I know what it's like when everything feels like a competition. I totally get it - I've been there. But hey, if you REALLY want to compete, why not compete on who's the healthiest?! :clap:
- This mindset of "I'm too fat to be in treatment'' etc will NOT go away by losing weight. There is no amount of weight you can lose that will satisfy the voice of the ED. It will always drive you to lose more. However, if you'd like to get rid of this thought, recovery will do the trick nicely. It'll take time, but if you work on recovery, your perception will change and you'll see it's wroth it!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: You're NOT too fat to be in treatment!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:08 am 
post-mod squad

learningtolove wrote:
- ED's are NOT a competition. I know what it's like when everything feels like a competition. I totally get it - I've been there. But hey, if you REALLY want to compete, why not compete on who's the healthiest?! :clap: [/color]

YEs!!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:10 pm 
i bite back hardcore

thanks for this post I needed it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:09 pm 
feeling out the orange

Thank you. This was so helpful. I always struggle with this. Even right now, as I recover from my most recent lapse, I think about how just months ago I was low enough that my counselor almost sent me impatient, and having gained much of the weight back fairly quickly in recovery, the ED voice says "Look how fast you gained weight and managed to look 'healthy' (fat) compared to others struggling who are still dangerously thin. You weren't really sick, and you don't need to strive to meet the recovery goals you set. Eat less if you want to". It makes it especially hard because I deal with extreme hunger off and on, which increases the ED's voice. I'm glad I'm not alone with this struggle over not being thin or sick enough.

>>I DO have a struggle, and the solution is to keep striving to overcome that struggle even when part of us decides we really don't have one! So lets eat on, live on, and become the beautiful, happy, HEALTHY people God has created us to be :D

Offline Profile