Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Compartmentalization
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:18 pm 
post-mod squad

Compartmentalizing, in the psychoanalytic sense, is a defence mechanism. My current therapist thinks that I cannot do it at all and it would be useful for me to learn how to, to a certain degree. The way she "taught" me is to imagine a a container strong enough to hold all of the thoughts, memories, and feelings I can't deal with right now, and placing them there temporarily so they won't "leak" into my life until I'm ready to deal with them. I have a very vivid visual of my container, and how I put my memories/thoughts/feelings there, but, well, it doesn't really work for me (yet). Has anyone done this as part of therapy? Is there anything you found that helped you? Or… Does anyone think this is total bullshit? Just wondering if this is a tool worth pouring my energy into or not.

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Compartmentalization
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:05 pm 
power lies within

I am also horrid at compartmentalizing. my last email to a prof contained the line, "i don't have a doctor's note for my late assignment because my inability to compartmentalize is not an illness" (though, it might be).

this sounds like kind of a cool exercise and i wouldn't mind trying it. i think, that like any recovery skill (such as radical acceptance or thought attacks), it takes tons of practice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:02 pm 
admin goddess from hell

What I do is "paint" a black wall over distracting, intrusive or distressing thoughts in my mind - I literally imagine a paint roller covering them over swipe by swipe and I just re-paint as necessary. With practice I now seldom have to do this more than once or twice at a time.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:40 pm 
power lies within

I really like that idea, more than the container idea. I'm going to try to practice it this weekend.

Offline Profile