Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Physical and/or mental?
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:40 pm 
orange you prolific

I started doing this quite helpful labeling thing {fine. Started it this morning.}

I believe it's a great recovery tool for eds, anxiety, etc, so I wanted to share. {I chose to post this here and not in the mindful area for a reason; please don't move it}

If you find yourself resisting something; which can include not wanting to do it, mind wandering when it shouldn't, getting really anxious/depressed/any other uncomfortable feeling, ask yourself if it's a physical thing and/or if it's mental. Once you identify what's going on and the source, you can help yourself accordingly. There might be a bunch in both categories, there might be just one in one category. Any amount is fine; there is no right or wrong.

Today I was resisting going to see my dietitian. I have not seen her in awhile due to a slew of reasons, both on her side and mine. I tried to break it down and found there to be both physical and mental reasons.

Physical:
*tired from getting used to a med change- to deal with this, I made extra strong coffee and had an extra food exchange
*higher pain today than in the past few weeks- took ibuprofen and mentally gave myself a little grace

Mental:
*scared to see her- what the hell, self. You like her, she's helpful, and very much gets the complexities of your situation. You are her only client she kept when she got a promotion to work with adolescents in residential. Also, it's ok to be scared but its not ok to let that dictate if you make it to your appointment
*unsure of what I need from the appointment- are you ever sure of what you need from these appointments with your dietitian? Rarely. But you can work with her on this like you always do.
*wanted to go earlier so I could go for a walk beforehand, feeling really rushed- can walk after, and next time you can go early. It's ok to feel rushed because frankly you are at this moment.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Physical and/or mental?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:26 pm 
power lies within

So I am guessing that this helped you that day? I think it is an interesting exercise and I might have to try it out myself sometime.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Physical and/or mental?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 am 
i love orange

Thanks for sharing! This reminds me of the skill they taught me in the hospital. When asked what I was feeling, they would request that I describe both physical and emotional sensations. I found that looking at the physical side of things as well as the emotional really helped me to put a finger what I was feeling, and I realized that they often tend to go hand-in-hand. (For example, I may get really flushed and hot when I'm getting angry.) I totally forgot about this skill and definitely intend to resume using it!! Thanks for the refresher!

Offline Profile