Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: identify yourself
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 pm 
post-mod squad

Please move this if in wrong place or already similar thread. ..but i thought this exercise may help a lot of us.

Write down (and share here if comfortable doing so) the different ways you view yourself- different identities. ..and then explore how how these affect your life. ..e.g how you would feel should one of these things change.?different times in your life when you identified with other things which no longer apply to you now? The transition from one thing to another?

Here's a list and some thoughts on mine;
I am; mother
Friend
Girlfriend
Daughter
Daughter in law
Sister
Best Friend
Funny
Eating disordered
Child abuse survivor
Recovery inspiration? ????
Singer
Teacher
Office workers

And more. ...how these things affect me/would affect me if lost....

Well obviously the family ones are emotional bonds that would be shattering but also I sometimes feel like I want to be so much more than just a 'mum' or 'partner'. It depends which circle of people I'm with I guess as to what identity stands out, , I do struggle when in a situation like ed unit where I no longer feel i am able to identify as anorexic, yet I'm there and just feel kinda awkward.

Last night I went out with a girl from the unit to celebrate her 21st...there were three others from her uni course and me. I struggled because I had no identity. They were all into their course obviously and I didn't relate, the thing i did relate to H is not something you talk about with others over a celebratory meal! They knew i had been anorexic, but obviously don't look it (well im not clinically anyway but whatever shut up ed in my head) ...I didn't identify as a mum as they were all young free and childless. .and i didn't know anything about construction and they knew nowt about performing! Lol so what I'm trying to say is it was tricky.

The abuse one is tricky as is the anorexia as i don't want to be seen as a victim. Some identities are harder for people to forget than others. The recovery role model is another that fluctuates and is difficult to maintain but healthy for me to strive towards.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: identify yourself
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:43 pm 
power lies within

Great post, Lou. I love it!

Offline Profile