Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Red Flags
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 pm 
orange goddess

I apologise if there's already a thread like this, I couldn't find it. Feel free to move/merge :)

So I thought I'd make a forum that explores red flags, or warning signs that the ED is more in control than it should be. This is because I think it's a good way to check yourself and where you're at, and also because I've been seeing some of my own red flags lately. There's no need to comprehensively describe behaviours, but just list as a means of keeping yourself accountable, so that if the thoughts/behaviours do surface, you are reminded that you need to step things up. More importantly, here you can explore what you will do to address these problems.

So for me:
-thinking about the nutritional properties of fruit
-excessive consumption of coffee
-lying about what I've eaten/haven't eaten

There are probably more, but those are main ones for me. I have noticed they have come up lately, very lighltly, but it's still cause of concern.

So what will I do about it?

-Eat as much fruit as I goddamn want. Distract myself when urges to (for lack of a better word) "research" come along
-wean myself off coffee. Substitute for black tea initially, which to decaffienated/green, water eventually.
-If I lie it's usually to my sister. That's a good and bad thing as my sister is someone concerned with how/what I eat so, as well as being someone who I can swallow my pride and admit the lie to. So, if I lie in the moment, I will make a point of correcting it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Red Flags
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:16 am 
Demi Mod

This is a great idea. :)

Red flags:
- Increased weighing of food
- Skipping snacks if its inconvenient (if I have class or something)

What am I going to do about it?
- Cook my meals when my flatmates are about, so I can't weigh things
- I need to loosen up about eating at specific times, and just eat something before/after. Or I could have something more calorific at one of my meals. I have actually made some progress on this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 pm 
power lies within

Red Flags:
- buying a scale
- using calories instead of exchanges for most meals
- not going to the grocery store when I really need to

What to do about it:
- no matter the temptation, remind myself that my treatment team is keeping an eye on my weight. THEY will tell me if there is a concern. They will even tell me if I have been gaining on a regular basis. I need to let THEM have control of the weight-aspect.
- I am allowing myself to do this for an occasional meal if I do not have access to a variety of exchanges however, if I find myself doing it with any sort of frequency, I will tell my team and address it.
- Instead of waiting until I need to restock EVERYTHING, I need to make small trips to the grocery to replace items that I need. I need to remind myself that it is okay and good to go to the grocery for small trips instead of panic-inducing large trips.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:10 pm 
orange you prolific

Red flag: the supplement isle at the grocery store.

What to do: stay out. If I need calcium or something, go and get just that, without having a look around. Or order calcium from the Internet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 pm 
post-mod squad

This is a great thread. BUMP!

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:57 pm 
orange you glad?

This is a great thread:

Red Flags
-skipping breakfast because I'm "too busy" or running late
-postponing lunch until it's too late to eat
-eating the same food for lunch everyday
-not buying produce because of incalculable nutritional content.

What I'm going to do:
-eat breakfast. Get up earlier or eat at my desk. I am not too busy.
-pack lunch the night before. Does anyone have vegetarian lunch suggestions? I've just been having the same thing over and over again (whited out: a packet of banana nut "protein" oatmeal). Check out pinterest for ideas.
-eat fruit. I love fruit. Choose one fruit a week that I will buy AND EAT IT. This week I will buy grapes. I dreamed about grapes last night.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately-to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:15 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Do you eat yogurt? I've been taking vanilla Greek yogurt, fresh berries, and granola to work with me. A veggie wrap?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:31 pm 
post-mod squad

Lunch ideas: chickpea and/or quinoa salad? You can add lots of things to it to suit your needs. Sandwiches? Pasta? Leftovers from dinner?

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:46 pm 
admin goddess from hell

kitkat wrote:
This is a great thread:

-pack lunch the night before. Does anyone have vegetarian lunch suggestions? I've just been having the same thing over and over again

I thought this was a great idea for a vegetarian lunch suggestions thread, check it out and let's see what we can all come up with.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:00 pm 
getting under the peel

Red flags :help:
Increased binging
Urges to restrict
Planning

What to do about it :heart:
Use distraction techniques
Use self soothe
Get rid of all "Ana notebooks"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:28 am 
Orange Admin

recoveringrose wrote:
Red flags :help:
Increased binging
Urges to restrict
Planning

What to do about it :heart:
Use distraction techniques
Use self soothe
Get rid of all "Ana notebooks"

Good on you for taking action! How are you doing now?

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:05 pm 
getting under the peel

Just saw this and it's a great idea for a thread.

Red Flags

1) Thinking about calories in things like mustard and things like that.
2) Telling myself to burn off more calories with more exercise.
3) Thinking of food as calories to be burned instead of wonderful fuel to nourish myself.

What to do about them:

1) Reminding myself that calories are just sort of a mythic thing that food companies use to estimate things--they are not cut and dried and I'm not going to deny myself anything I want.
2) Stopping my exercise after a certain time and not doing any more, even if I feel like I 'should'.
3) Reminding myself that food is fuel. It is there to nourish me and help me to feel better physically and give me energy to do things all day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:15 pm 
Orange Admin

Spectra wrote:
Just saw this and it's a great idea for a thread.

Red Flags

1) Thinking about calories in things like mustard and things like that.
2) Telling myself to burn off more calories with more exercise.
3) Thinking of food as calories to be burned instead of wonderful fuel to nourish myself.

What to do about them:

1) Reminding myself that calories are just sort of a mythic thing that food companies use to estimate things--they are not cut and dried and I'm not going to deny myself anything I want.
2) Stopping my exercise after a certain time and not doing any more, even if I feel like I 'should'.
3) Reminding myself that food is fuel. It is there to nourish me and help me to feel better physically and give me energy to do things all day.

I struggle with all of these things sometimes and your plans for what to do are perfect. Hope you beat those unhelpful thoughts down successfully :) :heart:

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:51 am 
Demi Mod

Red flags:
- Telling myself "I can have this now if I go to the gym later"
- Comparing my body to others
- Seeing clothing sizes at stores as something that calculates my worth as a human being
- Thinking "I'll just purge if I eat too much"
- Thinking I don't look good unless I'm a certain weight/size

What I'll do about them:
- Eating stuff because it's good, and going to the gym when I feel like it
- Reminding myself that I have no idea what other people are going through in their lives. They might have physical illnesses that make their bodies they way they are. And that doesn't change who they are as a person. I chose my friends based on the person they are, not their body. Why should I be any different?
- Clothing sizes are there to make it easier to find things that fit you. Re-read what I wrote in my previous point. I should cut out the small labels that say what size something is as soon as I get home from the store, so I don't have to think about it later.
- If I eat too much I'll just have a food coma and watch TV shows while lying in bed until it passes. Period.
- There are soooo many good looking girls out there who aren't as skinny as I'd want to be. I need to remind myself of what really matters, and who I really am.

Offline Profile