Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Helpful Apps
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:00 am 
orange you prolific

I'm wondering if anyone has apps that have helped them in recovery- either ed/recovery specific (we all know about Recovery Record), something fun to take your mind off of things, etc.

Here's some that I use a lot (many of them are free):

1. Tiny Tower- It gets my mind off of things. Basically, it's a mindless game. You build a little tower, people move in, you have them work in the tower, stock shelves, etc. It's not exciting or anything, but the people are so cute. It's a good distraction post-meals, I can start looking at it and 15 minutes goes by (I've been using it for over a month though, at first the tower is small and it doesn't take as much time). It saves your tower and continuously keeps going (even when your iWhatever is off), so it won't lose your place.

2. PrayerWorks- Can submit prayer requests. If you want, it will email you whenever someone has prayed for you. I like it to both submit prayers of my own, and to pray for other people (you see other people's requests, but it never publishes your contact info).

3. Poo Log- Um. I have an entry every time I poo. I use it because I have severe constipation as a side effect to some of my medications. That way when I go to the doc, she can look at it and tell how my GI system is running.

4. 1000 Gifts- Christian based. When you open it, a quote appears. You can then either write something that the quote reminds you of, or enter a picture with the quote. It saves as a scrapbook type thing. The quotes are about hope, love, etc, so it's real uplifting.

5. Whole Foods- Has some great recipes, and it lets you make shopping lists if you select recipes.

6. PTSD Coach- Made for the military, but it has really fantastic PTSD resources. There are exercises to manage symptoms (breathing, grounding, etc), you can put your emergency contact info in there incase you are having a problem and can't think of a phone number, a monthly assessment to see how many symptoms you're dealing with, info about PTSD. I LOVE this app. It's almost as helpful to me as Recovery Record.

Anyone else? I'm starting to get ready for IP/residential, so suggestions are really welcomed!

*nicki

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Helpful Apps
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:14 am 
Demi Mod

Solitaire.
Draw something! So addictive.
Monopoly Hotels
LogosQuiz. Sounds boring but it's surprisingly good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 pm 
power lies within

I'm also a fan of Draw Something - I find making a really detailed drawing to be soothing. Like, art to go!

I use my Starbucks app a lot - I suppose it could be recovery-constructive because it allows me to get a snack even if I've left my wallet at home (you pay for things from the app).

There is an app called SimplyNoise that I would really, really like to have. Soothing noise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:57 am 
exploring my potential!

Nikki, i am obsessed with that tiny tower app now:) Great distraction:)

in over my head, I want to go
The river’s deep, the river’s wide,
the river’s water is alive
So sink or swim, I’m diving in

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:50 am 
orange you prolific

Sannalee wrote:
Nikki, i am obsessed with that tiny tower app now:) Great distraction:)

Haha! Glad it's not just me ;)

And isn't it just the cutest when they yawn!?!

*nicki

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 am 
orange goddess

a couple apps I find helpful for me

recovery record which everyone knows that one

Bingo game that's addicting
Evernote is app I use it for journaling random thinking...

Random Gratitude App it's great you can write what your grateful for when you're stuck it gets you out of your thinking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:04 pm 
i love orange

I don't know how many of you do DBT, but I find the DBT Diary Card and Skills Coach app to be very helpful. It's pretty self-explanatory -- it's a diary card right on your phone that allows you to log your urges, feelings, and the skills you used to deal with them. You can even customize it to include your own personal urges and skills that it may not already include by default. You can password protect it so other people can't see it, and you can email it to yourself/your therapist and print it out to use in sessions. It's great and I highly recommend it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:31 pm 
orange you prolific

I am very addicted to Candy Crush Saga and find it to be a great distraction.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:15 pm 
orange is hot

Oh man, I am a huge fan of mindless games. The company behind Tiny Tower also makes Pocket Planes, which is fun, and Pocket Frogs, which is cute.

Scrabble is another app I spend a lot of time on.

Pulse is sort of a newsreader app. You can add most major online magazines, newspaper, news aggregate sites and their most recent articles load in a mosaic format. You can organize the sources by category so, say, if I can read my "World News" or "Science" or "Fluff" articles, depending on my mood.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:56 am 
admin goddess from hell

Just ran across this app for helping manage anxiety and I haven't checked it out, but if anyone tries it please come back and give us a review:

Mindshift

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:54 am 
orange goddess

I have to recommend Block Site (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... blocksite/) for Firefox. I have set it on my work PC to block calorie counting websites, diet websites, and any other sites that might be tempting. Yes, I can get around it, but that extra step gives me time to think and pause about if I really need to do that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:42 pm 
admin goddess from hell

^^^Good call! Thanks!

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:21 pm 
post-mod squad

Bejeweled. Enough said.

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile