Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Identifying your triggers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:35 am 
orange like clockwork

In the past, I used to have all sorts of triggers. A lot of the things on here that people have already mentioned as triggers (such as not being as thin as others in treatment) were things I struggled with too. Now I'm doing well in recovery, I have a lot less triggers! Things that used to be triggers, I can now see in a much more rational light and they don't bother me any more like they used to.

My triggers:

1. Feeling not good enough/inadequate in some way, or that I'm not doing as well as others. Especially when I feel ugly - that's a horrible trigger

2. Losing weight (obviously unintentionally as I am no longer engaging in deliberate weight loss behaviour).

3. Feeling resentful that I can't 'diet like everyone else my age'.

How do they make you feel?

1. If I let my ED voice creep in, it'll tell me that 'because I'm not good at anything else, then I at least have to be thin.'

2. Losing weight can remind me of the excitement I used to feel when I lost weight when I had an ED.

3. Like I'll always be in some way different because of the ED. I feel bad because I should be like 'everyone else' and 'everyone else my age can diet'.

What can you do to change your reaction to your triggers?

1. I remind myself that starving myself will NOT make me any better. In fact, it's detrimental to so many things I value in life. If I'm feeling bad about not being as pretty as I'd like to be then starving myself is NOT going to help - there's nothing pretty about the effects of anorexia and bulimia!

2. I remind myself that the split second of excitement about weight loss was earned by day after day of horrible punishment on my body - starvation, hunger, long demanding sessions at the gym, missing out on spending time with the people I loved because I was either too sick and tired or avoiding an event with food etc. And then I reminded myself how no matter what weight I got to, it never felt good enough.

3. Okay, so right at this moment I shouldn't diet. When a large proportion of other females my age can try out the latest fad diet promoted in the woman's magazines, I know that while I "can" (who's stopping me?!), I shouldn't. It's totally irresponsible and unnecessary and would risk my health. And so then I looked at it another way - A lot of other people my age can do all sorts of stuff that isn't right for me, so I don't do it - Why should dieting be any different? For example, lots of ladies dye their hair and I don't. But I don't feel like I'm missing out - It's a choice! I love my natural hair colour - So, like my hair colour, I should just love the body I have !

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:17 pm 
orange is a state of mind

I think the biggest trigger I'm dealing with right now is being too busy and stressed out.

How does it make me feel?
I feel rushed, like I'm not getting anything done (so I guess the feeling would be unproductive), which increases my stress. I feel lonely.
My brain will then decide that I don't have time to eat. Cooking takes too long. After awhile I run out of leftovers. I'm rushed, everybody wants something from me NOW, so I'll push my needs aside as I don't feel like anyone really cares about me- they just care about what I do for them.

What can I do to change my reaction?
Set firm boundaries and stick to them I guess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:20 pm 
getting under the peel

This is an excellent thing for me to be doing because sometimes I have problems figuring out exactly what triggers me. So here goes--

What are your triggers?
1) Seeing women who have great, successful jobs and loving families who are stick thin.

2) When my husband has a "bad day" with his bipolar disorder.

3) Anything having to do with this whole "sugar is toxic" thing--reading about it, hearing about people doing "sugar free" cleanses, etc.

4) Oddly...seeing little girls with twiggy little bodies because they haven't gone through puberty yet.

How do they make me feel?
1) Like I am a total failure--I may have achieved the thin part, but my life as an ED patient was so one-dimensional.

2) I don't know how he'll react. He could start screaming at me or hitting things. I feel like food is at least stable and always the same and won't hurt me.

3) It makes me feel like such a weakling because I love sugar and sweet things. Seeing those messages makes me feel like I am a loser, a bad person, for liking sugar and eating it.

4) It makes me long for when I was a kid and had no worries, no cares, didn't think about my body at all.

What are some better ways to view my triggers so they aren't so triggering?
1) You never know what someone else's life is like. A woman who seems so put-together has some issue in her life she's dealing with. You can never compare.

2) Realize that he is ill and this is his illness talking. Telling him to go to the gym or ride his bike to cool down and get in a better place instead of taking it out on me. Realize that food is just fuel--there is nothing magic about it.

3) Remembering the advice my dietician gave me--sugar is fuel. I'm not at a point where I need to or should give up sugar. Stop reading articles about it and try to avoid looking at people's Facebook feeds who are doing detoxes, etc.

4) Try to remember that they are little and innocent. They will grow up one day and need all the positivity they can get about their bodies needing fuel and exercise and not hearing idiots like me thinking things like "I wish my legs were that tiny". They will grow up and have all the adult issues that I do. I can't avoid adulthood. I have to just deal with things and not worry so much about avoiding them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:02 am 
stranger in an orange land

What are your triggers?
- instagram photos of people I 'wish I looked like'
- people with thin legs
- bad day of gender dysphoria

-make me feel like i'm not 'good enough'
- feel like I'm ugly or grotesque
- feel like i'm too feminine or, sometimes, too masculine (looks-wise)

- remember that we are all different and unique
- i can't compare my life / story to that of other people's
- I have no idea what those thin/'attractive' people are going through (perhaps they are ill or have issues with substance abuse or are depressed etc)
- I should only concentrate on being the best version of ME

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:21 pm 
Demi Mod

What are your triggers?
- Comparing myself to others, feeling like I'm "not sick enough"
- Feeling left out or like no one cares about me (applies to both family, friends and treatment team)
- Spending too much time alone

- Ugly and worthless
- Like I'm just making up all my problems for attention
- Like no one cares about me
- Like the only way to be seen or feel better is to lose weight

- Focus on myself instead of others. Practice mindfulness
- Talking to others about how I feel, telling my friends if I feel left out, or talking to my treatment team if I feel they're not taking me seriously
- Make sure I go out and see people regularly, and also plan fun activities for days when I'm alone, like going for walks or pampering myself

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:19 pm 
getting under the peel

My triggers are
the thought of going through an ED treatment program--I've gone to alcohol treatment classes before before stopping
the thought of going swimming in public esp due to my body size
the scale--not using diuretics to try to lose weight is tough along w laxatives
body image and seslf worth
things in everyday life that i dont cope well with--especially stress

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:34 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Maybe read through the entire thread to get some ideas, and then let us know how your triggers make you feel, and what you can do/think to change your reaction to your triggers.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 pm 
getting under the peel

bleucheese91 wrote:
My triggers are
the thought of going through an ED treatment program--I've gone to alcohol treatment classes before before stopping
the thought of going swimming in public esp due to my body size
the scale--not using diuretics to try to lose weight is tough along w laxatives
body image and seslf worth
things in everyday life that i dont cope well with--especially stress

My triggers make me feel like I'm not lovable nor worthy of love or like theres a gaping hole.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:09 pm 
admin goddess from hell

bleucheese91 wrote:
My triggers make me feel like I'm not lovable nor worthy of love or like theres a gaping hole.

Don't forget the "what you can do/think to change your reaction to your triggers?" part.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:08 am 
orange goddess

My biggest trigger at the moment is boredom. It makes me feel hopeless,lonely and just confused. What I can do about it? I could accept it,everyone gets bored every once in a while. I can also make a list of things to do when I'm bored, e.g.: walk my dog, play gitar, watch a movie...and then actually do them instead of switching to drinking
or eating.

What is it about the simplest things in life being so difficult for me?Agghhh.

If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4