Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Identifying your triggers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:59 am 
admin goddess from hell

I had that and actually asked my therapist if I could wait outside in the hallway once I had checked in. For me it was mostly noise and REALLY bad radio. It worked, until she didn't check her voice mail and came out and accused me of not checking in, and then she fired me shortly thereafter, but really, the moral of the story is that you can work with your therapist about how to be more comfortable while you are waiting.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 am 
getting under the peel

What are your triggers?
Being alone in the house, especially during the day is a massive binge/purge trigger for me

How do they make you feel?
Alone, lonely, lost, like no one cares about me, anxious and restless...

What can you do to change your reaction to your triggers?
This is very hard for me. Maybe trying to keep myself occupied when I'm alone, read a book or watch a movie instead of sitting at the computer and thinking about how all the world hates me. Also, maybe I should identify the exact thoughts I'm having and tell myself why they aren't true, e.g. "no one cares about me" is not true, because I had coffee with a friend yesterday and she texted me later saying it was nice to meet me. Maybe leave the house and go read in a cafe or library if the feelings get overwhelming.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 am 
orange like clockwork

Trigger:
being tired

how do they make me feel?
scared, regardless of my energy levels. its programmed into my brain being tired = fail at getting tghrough the day

how to change?
life is possible when you're sleepy. people are sometimes tired. i can't always guarantee a good night sleep and i have responsibilities. its a challenge and i should accept it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:15 am 
post-mod squad

Identify my triggers -(things which make me want to restrict)

reading stories/ seeing people/ hearing about people that are / were 'sicker' than me
people that are thinner naturally than me
fighting/ argueing with someone
stress from work overload/ mis-behaving children!
over-eating
clothes being too tight
someone who is very talented that im jealous of - mainly singers.i feel my only 'thing' is anorexia
my mam
people that seem to eat less than me, but are not ill

How do they make me feel?
fat, fat, lazy, greedy, unloved, not sick at all- a fraud, attention seeker, talentless, that i pretend to not eat much but infact im thinking about or eating food all the time and i eat more than most people who are not ill

What can I do to change this?
realise that my ed was/ is very serious and no matter what weight I will never feel sick enough, i deserve to be healthy anyway, i need to push these thought away.
realsie that when i see other healthy people eat i dont know what they have alreday eaten or are going to eat and i dont need to worry about anyone elses intake other than mine (perhaps my childrens a little!)
buy bigger clothes
dont let my mam get to me???
realsie that my body has its natural set point aND I NEED TO ACCEPT THAT. there may be thinner people naturally but that is that. accept.
understand that if i am stressed restricting only INCREASES this and makes everything ten times harder to deal with.
recognise my own talents and strengths and stop comparing to everyone else...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:04 am 
getting under the peel

I guess one of my main triggers is talking about this situation... Today in my psychopathology class we covered Eating Disorders... We saw many videos, spoke about symptoms, how they occur, how they affect someone. I could recognise myself in most of the things the teacher said and it sucks cause I've been doing well for the past few weeks but I'm already planning my relapse...

http://stormcastlestrong.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:22 am 
orange is a state of mind

Identifying my triggers -
Hearing about weight loss, does not need to be someone underweight . Just hearing "x" amount of kilos in "y" amount of time. (Biggest loser is a no-no)

Reading on here or just hearing about restriction or justifications for staying unwell.

Seeing people exercising.

My GP.

People on diets.

How do they make me feel?
- it makes me feel "fake" because I do not lose high numbers of kilos in short amounts of time. I feel jealous especially when its someone who isn't visibly sick or who doesn't have an ed so they can actively lose weight and its praised and OK.

- I just get easily pulled back into that way of thinking, I feel I should do the same, I'm not really unwell because I'm not doing those things. I'm fat. A fake. Not worthy of help.

- I feel jealous and angry that I cannot exercise. I feel fat and lazy. I feel like I am literally gaining kilo after kilo as I watch someone exercise. I feel unfairly treated by being told that I can't exercise.

What can I do to change this

Self talk and keeping notes of why I'm in treatment. Why I am recovering. Remembering the horrible damage I have done, the mental anguish - and reminding myself of the life I want. Who I want my son to see me as. Do I want to spend more time in hospital away from my son.
Learning/finding new resources/skills/activities that make me feel happy, busy, distracted, creative..
Looking at my short term goals more closely since my long term goals can seem out of reach.
I deserve treatment, I deserve to be well, I don't need to do those things to feel in control or to know that someone cares. Trying to build an identity for myself outside of the ed so its less about loss and more about discovery as I let go of the ed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:42 pm 
stranger in an orange land

What are your triggers?
My triggers where to start I feel that I have so many:
anyone making a comment on my physical appearance
"food talk"
going to the edu and seeing girls or women smaller that me

regardless of what is said about my body it makes me feel that I am too big, not small enough
"food talk" makes my inner critic scrutinize every food choice that I make
seeing other edu patients convinces me that I am not that sick, that I am not sick enough or worthy of treatment

using some of the DBT skills that I have learned like being mindful, to not compare because to compare is to despair

to undertand that I do have an eating disorder and that recovery no matter how hard it is, it is better than living inside the eating disorder

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm 
Demi Mod

What are your triggers?

-When a friend of mine or someone else I'm close to goes on a diet, especially if I know they've had trouble with EDs.
-When I feel left out or unwanted (For example some of my friends do something without inviting me, or someone doesn't answer my texts or calls)
-When I'm stressed out by school or work or something

-Like I have to be "the sickest" and can't let anyone lose weight without me losing even more
-Like it's my "thing" to be the small and skinny one. I'm not me and my friends won't care about me if I'm not skinny. I'm just going to be normal and forgettable.
-Like no one likes me and I'm taking up too much space, both mentally and physically
-Like my life is totally out of my control

-Not competing with others who lose weight, instead concentrate on taking care of my body
-Remembering that my friends like me because of the person I am, not because of my ED.
-If I for some reason feel left out I can myself contact a friend and ask him/her if he/she wants to do something with me
-Remembering that I can't control everything. And if schools the problem, the solution is to do my homework, not restrict

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:14 pm 
post-mod squad

Thanks for the nudge Sally. ..I just re-read my post from last year and pretty much in the same place.....gonna get my super and early night tonight x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:07 am 
admin goddess from hell

Check out the first post in this thread, which I have edited to add a short blog on managing triggers that fits nicely with the exercise Recovery Warrior wrote about.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:41 am 
admin goddess from hell

Just a gentle reminder that this is a really helpful tool for managing challenging thoughts and situations.

Attachment:
Talk back.jpg
Talk back.jpg [ 31.71 KiB | Viewed 5818 times ]

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:42 am 
i love orange

Trigger:
Hearing about people who are "sicker" than I am. (People who have done permanent damage to their bodies, are at a low weight, over-exercise, restrict, binge/purge more than I do.)

How that makes me feel:
Fat, lazy, like I haven't "suffered" enough to recover, like I need to "prove" that I'm "sick enough," like a fake, stupid, idiotic, pathetic, "wussy"

What I'm going to do about it:
Clean room and listen to recovery-oriented music for fifteen minutes to distract from the urge to binge/purge.
Remind myself that it's GOOD that I haven't done permanent damage to my body. Be GRATEFUL instead of resentful.
Remind myself that I am SMART and BRAVE for entering recovery and preventing further damage from occurring.
Remind myself that my experiences are important and that I have hurt a lot -- and enough -- in life and that I deserve to recover because I am a good person with a lot to offer.
I am going to walk away and stop reading those triggering stories. They are not making me feel any better about myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:00 am 
feeling out the orange

1. Obviously seeing women who are thinner than me, but more specifically women with very tall, skinny, "flat" bodies. I've always been self conscious about my breasts and hips.

2. On the other hand, seeing people I would consider overweight because I feel like if I give up my ED, I'm doomed to obesity.

3. Hearing about other people's restrictive dieting, especially the gluten free and paleo fads.

4. Hearing women complain about their bodies.

5. Comments about how I need to gain weight in the form of "you're so lucky, you can eat whatever you want/don't have to exercise/don't have to worry about anything" (which is exactly what my ED wants me to think--that life is so much easier when I'm "too thin")

6. Pants being even a little tight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:20 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Good work in identifying your triggers, and I imagine that most of us empathise with you on yout list. Now, how about doing the next parts of the exercise to see if you can disable the power these triggers may hold over you:

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:21 pm 
feeling out the orange

I actually hadn't finished that post and didn't realize I'd posted it! Sorry.

I want to add when someone makes a comment about not having eaten all day, foods with high caloric content (especially fried foods and red meat), and feeling full. I think those are the big ones.

Most of them make me feel anxious, and ED behaviors are my knee jerk reaction to stress. A lot of them involve the fear of change or losing control. Hearing other people talk about their diets makes me feel lazy and unhealthy.

I should really throw out my super skinny jeans, the ones I know won't fit in a month or so if I stay on track with recovery. I hadn't even considered that until I sat down and thought this through.

I'm trying to remember things I like about myself that don't have to do with my size. For the past few years, I feel like I've become the girl people expect to stay skinny without trying. I don't know who I'll be when I finally give up my ED, but I need to remember that I'm more than my size. I need to stop hating who I was when I was seventeen and a little heavy. I need to stop referring to that girl as "fat me."

This is sort of a reverse trigger, but being told I'm too thin or someone telling me they're worried about me has triggered two binges in the past month. Not good binges. They were violent and unpleasant and meant for self-punishment. I absolutely need to stop using food as punishment.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next