Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: "My ed wants me to...but instead, I'm going to..."
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:04 am 
orange is a state of mind

This thread is all about taking proactive, valued ACTION.

Step 1. Identify an unhelpful thought that is urging you to engage in a harmful behaviour. (Note: it is important here to acknowledge that THOUGHTS ARE NOT COMMANDS; you can't control your thoughts, but you can control your own behaviour.)

Step 2. Think about an alternative behaviour that would be more in line with your values (valued domains = family, intimate relationships, friendships, employment, education/personal development, recreation/fun/leisure, spirituality, community life, environment/nature & health/body.)

Step 3. DO IT; accept responsibility and start steering your life in a meaningful, valued direction RIGHT THIS SECOND!

Example:

My ed wants me to start trimming my refeeding mealplan, but instead, I'm going to make a nice cup of chamomile tea and do a spot of journalling, (which is in line with my values of health, personal development and maintaining my friendships/intimate relationship.)

Another example:

My ed wants me to go for a very long run, but instead, I'm going to go to the movies with my bestie to see 'Valentine's Day', (which is in line with my values of leisure/fun and friendship.)

With eating disorder recovery, I think it is very easy (and natural!) to get caught up in how horrible it all is/how much you want things to change, whilst, at the same time, neglecting to actually do something about it. (Can anyone smell scam here? Guilt and wallowing = just another nasty trap with which your ed is trying to preserve itself!) With this post, I am hoping to advocate the idea of action having to precede a change in thinking, in the need to move your body to move your mind......so! Who wants to give it a go? :)

:x :heart:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:57 am 
orange you glad?

I love this thread, gorgeous girl! You're full of amazing ideas and are an inspiration to us all :)

My ED wants me to purge up everything I've eaten within the last hour or so, but I don't want to do that, so instead I'm going to tape the rest of Grey's Anatomy and get some much needed sleep (which is in line with my values of health and personal development).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:07 am 

^Liz, wonderful girl, I just LOVE you :smile: :clap:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:37 am 
galactic orange

My ED wants me to stay at home, because when I meet friends, I might drink a beer. And beer has got oh-so-horrible calories.
You know what, ED? I don´t care. If you´re scared of beer, just stay at home :razz:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 pm 

My eating disorder wants me to leave out my glass of juice at lunch, but instead, I'm going to download some new music (and keep the glass of juice in of course lol :) )

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:59 pm 
orange wonder

My ED wants me to restrict tonight, but instead I will watch American Idol with my family (after of course, I eat a yummy delicious dinner at this Greek place in my neighborhood) as we celebrate my mother's promotion at work.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 am 
orange you glad?

My ED only wants me to order a small soy cappucino. But instead I will order one in a mug.

My ED is telling me to restrict as soon as I get back home tonight. But instead I will at least have something for dinner instead of nothing.

p.s. Kizzi, as per usual, your post is AMAZING. What an AWESOME idea for a thread. This is going to help me so So SO much!!

:heart:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:24 pm 
power lies within

Kizzi you rock! I was actually thinking of starting a post like this yesterday, but you beat me to it!

The ED wants me to skip my supliment today, but I'm going to eat it because I know I need it.

The ED is also trying to tell me I'm not as sick as I am (meaning I don't have to do the re-feeding thing), but I have proof from a doctor telling me otherwise.

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:06 am 

Thanks, lovelies :heart:

My eating disorder wants me to drag out the scales and weigh myself, but instead, I'm going to download some sheet music :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:42 am 
exploring my potential!

My e.d wants me to keep picking at bread which will make me feel bad and restrict heavily tomorrow.
So, I'm just going to leave the bread the fuck alone. In stead I'm going to have a drink.

(this sounds like I'm replacing food with a drink, but I have eaten sensibly today apart from the bread which is almost a binge because I'm doing it mindlessly)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:46 am 
exploring my potential!

^writing it on here is really effective! The want of bread is completely gone!

:clap: awesome thread.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 am 
exploring my potential!

My ED wants me to keep exercising even though I have done more than enough for the day, but instead, I am going to have a cup of chamomile tea to calm down, finish off what I have to get done tonight and then go to bed.

Thanks for this thread, Kizzi! It is wonderful! :smile:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:29 pm 

My ED wants me to exercise even though I was sick last night and i'm not feeling well this morning either. Instead, i'm going to have a nice shower and relax until work AND eat my snack. Today is a new day.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:32 pm 
orange goddess

My ED wanted me to have a smaller breakfast today after my big meal out last night. But instead, I went ahead and made my normal breakfast and ate it all!

http://haveasliceofkatypie.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 pm 
power lies within

My ED wants me to restrict the rest of my meals today, watch my salt intake and see if the "almighty scale" will be better tomarrow. But, I've made this wonderful seafood stew and I'm going to eat it AND skip the scale tomarrow.

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next