Last visit was: It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:24 pm 
orange is hot

Wow..
How uncomfortable did this make everyone feel?
You can still have physical problems if you turn vegetarian.
My first couple of months was difficult.
I became weaker and what not.
You don't exactly lose a whole lot of weight and it's hard to amount up to the protein the meat has.
I don't know if it is just me or others too, but that ad was pretty dumb.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:40 am 
feeling out the orange

I want to point one issue here, someone mentioned above: there is a big difference between going vegetarian for a good reason (health, animals, exploration of new possibilities) and as an excuse to starve. Vegetarian diet is considered the one of the most healthy diets, but only if it contains all elements required by our bodies. Some people put going vegetarian as a warning sign of anorexia. But it's not as simple as it sounds. In this case motives are more important than a diet itself (I think).

This ad by PETA - connecting thinness with vegetarian diet - if it makes anyone to choose going vegetarian, it would be a choice make by a wrong reason.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:17 am 
orange goddess

I gave up vegetarianism several months ago... after 5 bloody years! :o and I feel much content.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:29 pm 
healthy is sexy

I manipulated vegetarianism\veganism to not eat at times, which I'm ashamed of because I really DO believe in animal rights & I have way before the eating disorder. And yeah PETA makes me mad alot, I mean, on their message boards they shun you away if you're not a vegan.
They want to make you feel guilty & bad about yourself to make you "go veg." No one guilted & shunned me into vegetarianism, I learned by curiosity, example & education.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:22 pm 
orange is hot

gucwin wrote:
I want to point one issue here, someone mentioned above: there is a big difference between going vegetarian for a good reason (health, animals, exploration of new possibilities) and as an excuse to starve. Vegetarian diet is considered the one of the most healthy diets, but only if it contains all elements required by our bodies. Some people put going vegetarian as a warning sign of anorexia. But it's not as simple as it sounds. In this case motives are more important than a diet itself (I think).

This ad by PETA - connecting thinness with vegetarian diet - if it makes anyone to choose going vegetarian, it would be a choice make by a wrong reason.

Um no. You have it completely wrong. I didn't become vegetarian because it was an "excuse to starve". I'm saying, some people's bodies can't handle the lack of protein at first. Until the necessary protein products are bought and such.. it's hard.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:25 pm 
power lies within

^ I actually don't think she was referring to your post, but I could be wrong...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:20 pm 
feeling out the orange

klarissa, Kaz is right, I wasn't reffering to you. My post was a comment to Lizibitz's post. I'm sorry for confusion.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:28 pm 
orange is hot

wtf

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:04 pm 
i bite back hardcore

Aussi Lover said:
Quote:
On the one hand you've the people who want the 'blubber people' to lose weight for their own good, i.e. health etc.

I should also point out here that weight-loss, even in people who are morbidly obese, doesn't always equal increased health. And besides, how does shaming, stereotyping and ridiculing people do them any "good"? This last comment isn't directed at you, per se, but in general. Peta announced recently that:

Quote:
The original billboard is being replaced with one that says “GONE. Just Like All the Pounds Lost by People Who Go Vegetarian. GoVeg.com.” We agree that a world where self-esteem is unrelated to body size would be a wonderful place, but we also know that most people feel depressed and embarrassed about their weight and often need some tough love.

So basically, according to Peta’s circular “logic,” a world in which people feel good about themselves and their bodies is awesome, but until then we’re going to shame and ridicule them — for their own good, of course!!

Peta is a joke, plain and simple. This campaign is only the latest in the new direction their insane marketing tactics is taking by hoping to win converts with the promise of weight loss. It's the same reason why the Skinny Bitch books are so popular. I absolutely believe that a balanced vegetarian diet is the healthier choice, but it won't necessarily make people thinner. What will happen when Peta wins aspiring weight-losers who then don't lose the weight? Will they remain on their vegetarian "diet"? There are many, many valid and convincing reasons to go vegetarian -- for the planet, for animals, for religious beliefs, for health -- yet Peta chooses to focus its campaigns on people still vested in the dieting mentality and young, horny guys. Keep in mind, the billboard didn't feature a picture of a fat man; it featured a picture of a fat woman. Peta has a long history of treating women like a piece of meat to try and get men to stop eating meat. I'm an ethical vegetarian, but the exploitation of women is just something I can't support. In my opinion, the ends do not justify the means.

www.the-F-word.org

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:24 pm 
orange is a state of mind

I became a vegetarian for the "right" reasons, but it was not hard to use it as an additional excuse not to eat. For a while my parents blamed my weight loss and accompanying health problems on being a vegetarian and made me stop. It still bothers me to eat meat, and I usually only do in social settings where I know it is expected.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 pm 
getting under the peel

I love Peta's message, but I hate the way they deliver it. You can't expect people to give up unhealthy behaviors (be they eating meat, smoking - I'm having a cigarette as I type this - or an eating disorder, to name a few) by criticizing or ridiculing them. It is only through love, patience, and understanding, that you can hope to effect change. Plus people have to *want* to change.
Peta would win a lot more convers if they changed their strategies. They to tend to come off as harsh, hysterical, and WAY over the top.
(Sidenote: I've been a vegetarian to varying degrees for 19 years and have never looked back.)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:27 pm 
orange scribe

i became a vegetarian some years ago because of animal rights. i was already in recovery and have not ever lost weight since becomming vege. im now a healthy weight and well into recovery and still vege

Recovery Boat
My Photos

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:51 am 
orange goddess

ugh. rancid hypocrites.

I used to be a vegetarian too, but I realized as non-ed as it was, it did anything but help me in recovery.

So now I enjoy my chicken, thank-you-very-much. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:14 pm 
orange wonder

notdeadyet wrote:
I love Peta's message, but I hate the way they deliver it. You can't expect people to give up unhealthy behaviors (be they eating meat, smoking - I'm having a cigarette as I type this - or an eating disorder, to name a few) by criticizing or ridiculing them. It is only through love, patience, and understanding, that you can hope to effect change. Plus people have to *want* to change.
Peta would win a lot more convers if they changed their strategies. They to tend to come off as harsh, hysterical, and WAY over the top.
(Sidenote: I've been a vegetarian to varying degrees for 19 years and have never looked back.)

Good point, Alyssa. PETA makes good points, but their delivery usually leaves much to be desired. I hate how many horror stories I hear of children who become vegetarian after PETA walks into their school and shows graphic videos of animals being slaughtered in a cheap attempt to make people feel guilty about eating meat. You don't do that to someone whose only eight years old. That's just crap.

On the other hand, I myself have slowly become a pesce-vegetarian (vegetarians who eat fish, and some people don't think we deserve to call ourselves vegetarians anyway!) over the last ten years. My mother raised me on red meat and I learned to grow tired of it. I have never liked the taste of a steak that's been burned to a crisp on the grill and I never will. By the time I was ten, I eliminated beef from my diet. Pork became a little harder to eliminate because I liked sausage and that was the only pork product I enjoyed. However, my father is deathly allergic to prok products so when I go to his house, we never eat them. Eventually I gave them up altogether. Then I learned to really dislike chicken after a nasty experience I had with my sister's chicken dinner a year ago (it's a long story)

My point? It was purely my choice to become vegetarian along with a few random circumstances. I did it mostly because I hate the taste of most meats! If I do consume any sort of meat, it's usually chicken or beef stock and of course seafood. Being raised in California, I can't get enough of good, quality seafood. Did I lose weight from this diet? No, so it didn't fuel my ED in any way, but I can understand why it might for some.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:24 am 
i love orange

personally a lot of the things about vegetarians and vegan weighing less irk me b/c when i first went vegetarian i started thinking i was the chubbiest vegeatarian i knew except memo one-my healthy body is going to be different that someone else's and this just made me feel like crap b/c it felt like and still feels like people expect me to be smaller than a meat eater or i eat mostly veggies when i eat more but i still have a balanced healthy diet for the most part. i say screw it and just be healthy for YOURSELF.

"I'm selfish, impatient, & a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, & at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next