Last visit was: It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: PETA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:52 am 
feeling out the orange

I'm not sure if such a topic fits here, but I decided to share it anyway.

It's about PETA ad saying 'save the whales, lose the blubber: go vegetarian' illustrated with rounded shape lady. The official PETA blog encourages people to be vegetarians using argument that none-meat eaters are leaner.

This is a kind of negative ad which outrage me. Even if the cause is right, do they really have to use such ways to present it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:12 am 
orange you prolific

I personally don't think it is a responsible way to promote the idea but in saying that unfortunately images are a big part of advertising.

Surely there are other ways than 'rounded shape lady'.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:23 am 
the original orange

I met a lot of people in pro-ana communities years ago who used a vegetarian diet as an excuse to just plain not eat. (ie. in group situations, it became a convenient reason to not eat what everyone else was having.)

Here's the billboard:
http://www.manolith.com/2009/08/19/peta ... -campaign/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:33 pm 
i love orange

^^

But there is a big difference between someone pretending to be vegetarian to get out of eating certain things and a vegetarian who also suffers from an ED. There's plenty of food to eat on a vegetarian diet. I think the case that vegetarians have more ED's than non-vegetarians has been very overstated and in part confused by people who go vegetarian to aid their disorder.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:55 pm 
getting under the peel

I was actually thinking about this the other day -- it seems like I've come across a lot of people with EDs who also happen to be vegetarian or vegan.

I'm not so sure that this can simply be attributed to people switching to this just to use it as an excuse to restrict..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:25 pm 
the original orange

I was vegetarian for two years once... and I wasn't eating enough for it to work for me. I would have had to eat a LOT more volume to maintain on a vegetarian diet... than I could on a meat-inclusive diet. But that's another story.

I have met vegetarians who DO eat massive amounts of veggies and maintain and are healthy and balanced and all that jazz. They like the diet BECAUSE they can at more volume. They enjoy eating plenty.

But having said that... I know a lot more vegetarians who don't eat enough and are too thin and they just get defensive if it's brought up that they need to eat more or better... as if the criticism implies they should switch back to meat... when it doesn't necessarily mean that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:32 pm 
i love orange

I'm envious of all these vegetarians who find it hard to eat enough. I have never had that problem! :-)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:43 pm 
exploring my potential!

I used being vegan as an excuse to eat less. It made it easier to get out of eating, and then I'd have total control over what I ate because I'd be eating something different to everyone else. Example: at a friend's birthday I couldn't have any cake because it wasn't vegan, so I ate an apple.

I do think that being veggie can be very healthy if done properly, though. As long as you get enough of everything.

That PETA ad makes them look like a bunch of wankers, by the way. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:33 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I know that going vegetarian would merely be another excuse for me to further reduce my intake of "allowable" foods. Maybe at some point in the future I could consider this, but at this point it would be as risky as me deciding to eat only all natural, locally grown foods. I know there are people with EDs who are also philosophical vegetarians, and good on them. I, and I think a number of us, just would not always be safe making similar choices.

And yes, the PETA ad is a wanker and they ought to be ashamed of themselves.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 pm 
i love orange

kryf wrote:

That PETA ad makes them look like a bunch of wankers, by the way. :)

Well put...and this isn't the first time i've heard of them going to ridiculous measures to push people into becoming vegetarian...sea kittens, anyone?

But as far as the tone of this advert, I suppose I can see both sides. On the one hand you've the people who want the 'blubber people' to lose weight for their own good, i.e. health etc.
But, I feel the rhetoric and the tone of the advert combined with the photo is just a bit too much. It makes me feel uncomfortable, and is dangerous for women who are at dangerously low weights but still see themselves like the woman on the advert.

:heart: Cassie

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:12 pm 
orange wonder

Oh wow, that really aggravates me. I used to like PETA, but now this?

I am a proud vegetarian for nearly 5 years and for the RIGHT reasons. I think I chose vegetarianism actually a few months prior to when my eating disorder really began, but I can say in all honesty that I DID NOT become a vegetarian because it would be less food to eat. I saw the 'meet your meat' video and I absolutley could never eat meat again. I had stopped eating most meats prior to actually seeing that video, merely because I did not like them, but when I saw that, man, no way. And to prove the fact that I am most certainly 100% vegetarian for the right reasons, this vacation I had the tiniest peice of shrimp. Felt disgusting and guilty and awful. It's all for the animals, no doubt. So proud of this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:50 pm 
getting under the peel

marybeth wrote:
Oh wow, that really aggravates me. I used to like PETA, but now this?

I am a proud vegetarian for nearly 5 years and for the RIGHT reasons. I think I chose vegetarianism actually a few months prior to when my eating disorder really began, but I can say in all honesty that I DID NOT become a vegetarian because it would be less food to eat. I saw the 'meet your meat' video and I absolutley could never eat meat again. I had stopped eating most meats prior to actually seeing that video, merely because I did not like them, but when I saw that, man, no way. And to prove the fact that I am most certainly 100% vegetarian for the right reasons, this vacation I had the tiniest peice of shrimp. Felt disgusting and guilty and awful. It's all for the animals, no doubt. So proud of this.

Mary Beth, this is literally my story. And I too can proudly say that my choice to go vegetarian was not ED motivated.

All for the animals :heart: :heart: :heart:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:45 pm 
orange addict

aussi_lover wrote:

But as far as the tone of this advert, I suppose I can see both sides. On the one hand you've the people who want the 'blubber people' to lose weight for their own good, i.e. health etc.
But, I feel the rhetoric and the tone of the advert combined with the photo is just a bit too much. It makes me feel uncomfortable, and is dangerous for women who are at dangerously low weights but still see themselves like the woman on the advert.

I don't think PETA wants "blubber people" to lose weight for health reasons, or at least- that's not the tone of the ad...in my opinion.

I agree the that rhetoric and tone of the ad combined with the photo is a bit too much...actually, I'd say a much too much.

The one thing I take issue with that you said, Cass, is that the ad is dangerous to women who are at dangerously low weights. It's not only dangerous to people who are underweight, but it's dangerous for people with EDs in general. People who are of "regular" weight (whatever "regular" means) with EDs are still in danger of health issues. And not to mention people without EDs; this ad is dangerous to their psyche. This is the type of ad that causes the increase of EDs in pop culture.

-Becca

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:02 pm 
power lies within

This isn't the first time that PETA has done something that I think is distasteful. On their PETA kids site, they have a video of reasons to go vegetarian...the video made me less than happy. Amongst one of the main reasons to go vegetarian was that you won't be fat. *sigh*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:12 pm 
i love orange

Becca... wrote:
aussi_lover wrote:

I don't think PETA wants "blubber people" to lose weight for health reasons, or at least- that's not the tone of the ad...in my opinion.

I agree the that rhetoric and tone of the ad combined with the photo is a bit too much...actually, I'd say a much too much.

The one thing I take issue with that you said, Cass, is that the ad is dangerous to women who are at dangerously low weights. It's not only dangerous to people who are underweight, but it's dangerous for people with EDs in general. People who are of "regular" weight (whatever "regular" means) with EDs are still in danger of health issues. And not to mention people without EDs; this ad is dangerous to their psyche. This is the type of ad that causes the increase of EDs in pop culture.

-Becca

I totally agree, Becca...thank you for calling me out on that. I simply forgot to mention it. I'm at what would be considered a 'regular' weight, and i've already had health issues with my heart from my ED, so I completely understand what you are saying. ED does not equal being underweight.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next