Last visit was: It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "Good For You" Rant
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:46 am 
power lies within

Listen, lady, in no way does "making friends with your microwave" form a pillar of moving towards more "Good For You" cooking.
(the idea was that you don't have to spend time and, heaven forbid, oil, cooking up foods)
(this is a cookbook which I believe is associated with President's Choice, which is a popular store brand)

it really pisses me off when people couch these kinds of values in what is good for you. it's hard enough to unlearn. but then - these people are what normalised this kind of shit in the first place. hey don't worry, if you drink your carbonated sugar slurry in mini-cans that say "100 calories!" on them, you're golden! frozen foods that say "Weight watchers" on them are "healthier" than a home cooked meal!

even if we forget the business of consuming questionable radiation, power guzzling devices and the nutritionally devoid stuff we often pull from freezers, what exactly is better about rushing to nuke your veggies or meat/protein rather than taking time and respectfully preparing your food? how are we supposed to eat healthily and treat ourselves respectfully if we don't respect food or the process of eating it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:20 am 
exploring my potential!

I agree!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:51 am 
orange is a state of mind

i agree. I have learned since being married how to cook and i am actually really proud of myself. I feel a lot healthier when i take the time to actually COOK our meals than when i just throw something in the microwave. While i do still use it for somethings.. my microwave doesn't get near as much use out of it as it did when I was in college/back home.

yay for cooking! :clap:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 pm 
orange wonder

I completley wholeheartedly agree. We as people have been embedded with the lazy trait.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:18 pm 
orange is a state of mind

I agree, but hypocritically. I love my microwave. As a penniless student I fell in love with my microwave because however much I tried to cook, it always seemed to go wrong. Plus it was convenient for my eating habits at the time.

Now, I never prepare my veg or whatever in the microwave. In fact I barely use it. However, I am still occasionally partial to those salt laden helltraps that are microwaveable pasta dishes.

Shameful I know...

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:23 pm 
orange wonder

.:fairydust:. wrote:
I agree, but hypocritically. I love my microwave. As a penniless student I fell in love with my microwave because however much I tried to cook, it always seemed to go wrong. Plus it was convenient for my eating habits at the time.

Now, I never prepare my veg or whatever in the microwave. In fact I barely use it. However, I am still occasionally partial to those salt laden helltraps that are microwaveable pasta dishes.

Shameful I know...

Sadly I am with you on this one. I used to love microwavable food because my mother's eating habits leave much to be desired so she and the rest of my family eat nothing but red meat. I told her I wouldn't eat steak or hamburgers anymore so she said her only other option was just to buy like microwavable soups and whatnot, hey, they're cheap, right
? Sometimes I still like microwavable foods, but as much as I despise it, I am learning how to cook.

Whatever happened to the idea of eating everything in moderation? There is no perfect or horrible food. A little of everything won't make you unhealthy, but it's the second and third helpings that will.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:59 pm 
healthy is sexy

Meat cooked in a microwave is disgusting. And i thought that even before i was veg. I have also seen someone 'bake' muffins in a microwave!

Our microwave gets a work out, but usually to reheat homecooked meals... Mum puts all the leftover veg dishes in the freezer and i 'nuke' em when everyone else is eating meat meals. I like microwave soups for lunch at work, but thats because its cheaper and healthier than fast food.

My family can get lazy and order takeout (of the kebab/chinese/fish and chips/ subway/ indian/ pizza- not chain store variety not the maccas, dominos pizza, KFC variety) alot, but home cokked meals are always home cooked- even if its a quick stirfry!

Holiday Mode.
Laxative free since dec 30th 2008. (261 days)
Binge free for: 3
Purge free: 99.5% in 191 days
(updated:07-09-09)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:21 pm 
power lies within

Well, so here is where I come in. I grew up on microwave dinners, frozen things you pop in and nuke for a few or just pop in the oven for a few. Sure, maybe it wasn't the healthiest, but it is what I know. So yes, I continue to eat pre-packaged things, microwaveable meals, etc. Do I feel great about it? No. Have I been embarrassed about it? Yes, numerous times. I have had to tell people that I do not know how to do simple, everyday kitchen tasks.

And while parts of me would like to not be trapped in this, parts of me are only comfortable with this at large.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:46 am 
power lies within

Well, i would say you guys are right, because microwave foods are still food and i did not mean to fall into a tone of "good food" vs "bad food"...we all know the usefulness of an attitude without "bad" foods. it's also perfectly possible to find healthy microwaved meals, more healthy than lots of alternatives.
what i was reacting to was actually this woman implying that by microwaving foods rather than preparing them more slowly, you saved on having to use butter or oil preparing things on the stove or in the oven. and that THAT was what was "good for you". this was in the same paragraph as a tip for making bread more palatable without resorting to *gasp* buttering it.
i should have made that more clear...and also should confess i am hardly qualified to throw stones, as i consume garbage from microwaves on too many occasions. and well, that's another reason it hit a nerve, i think - i feel that fewer, not more microwavables in my life and the lives of lots of people, would be the road to health.

Last edited by wickedrache on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:54 pm 
i bite back hardcore

...what exactly is better about rushing to nuke your veggies or meat/protein rather than taking time and respectfully preparing your food?

Not to burst your bubble... but a health mag I just got in the mail today that says that veggies cooked in the microwave are actually healthier than on the stove or in the oven because the micro zaps it quicker and with less water, meaning that more vitamins and nutrients are retained. The article cites one study that showed that spinach retained only 77 percent of the B-vitamin folate when cooked on the stove and ALL its folate when cooked in a microwave.

www.the-F-word.org

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:18 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I don't like the texture of vegetables cooked in the microwave. If anyone is concerned about nutrient loss, then save the water you steam the veggies in for stock for use in other dishes. It's easy, and you can freeze it as well if you can't use it right away in a soup or sauce.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:39 pm 
healthy is sexy

I know! Low in calories, or fat, or carbs or whatever does NOT always mean good for you.
I don't nescesarily like Jillian Michaels, but I thought it was awesome when she grabbed a box of "100 Calorie Snack Packs" out of a woman's pantry who thought that those were a 'healthy thing' to eat & said "This isn't food!"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:28 am 
i love orange

if you really want to be healthy and have 'frozen foods' you could make and freeze homemade foods/meals,its easy enough and a whole lot cheaper.

"I'm selfish, impatient, & a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, & at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:05 am 
Ah but 3 minute microwave chocolate cake is amazing!

Hehe but yes I agree. Learning to cook has been a major part of my recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:52 pm 
the original orange

I like my veggies raw, and my meat grilled in a toaster oven.

Offline Profile