Last visit was: It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Britain's Next Topmodel
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 pm 
orange addict

I read yesterday that BNTM features an openly anorexic contestand in their show who was hospitalized because of anorexia only a few months before the show started. She is (obviously) underweight and when she told the judges she thinks she looks to thin on photos they said she looks just fine. What do you think about it? Is it okay to tell people that an anorexic body is beautiful? Even when they now she is that thin because of her ED? Is it responsible to let her experience the pressure of such a weight focused industry?

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/lifestyle-fashion/stylenews/Britains+Next+Top+Model-8160.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article2360155.ece

I think they are highly irresponsible!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:00 pm 
orange addict

the sick part of my brain wishes i lived in the uk so that i could watch this show. the well part is glad that i don't live there. the girl has a bmi of around 14.5 and they think it's responsible to put her on a tv show? in most places she'd still be in hospital! i wonder how much makeup they had to put on her to give her any colour at all? i don't see how this can possibly be seen as sending a "positive message" to the young people who watch this show. the model says she wants to show that some people don't want to be thin, yet she's on a national tv showing young girls that if you're as skinny as she is that you can be on next top model.

aargh! sorry about my rant but this kind of thing really upsets me! :soapbox:

Hi, I'm Jodie.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:30 pm 
orange goddess

they seem to be looking after her, but perhaps not in the right environment.

meh, anything for ratings.

the monster is a star
Out steps a beauty
Now watch her walk away
Another grand illusion
if you wanna pay

Death of it all ~ Rob Zombie

(AKA AussiePixie)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:37 pm 
healthy is sexy

I think the only difference between this contestant and the ones on Americas next top model is that she openly admits it and has sought treatment. Many of the American contestants are OBVIOUSLY sick, but it gets danced around and not confronted.

Much preferring Australia's Next top model with healthier girls. Infact the ONLY one with visible ribs was told to gain weight. Current series- models such as Lola and Tahnee show us how beautiful healthy can be.

Holiday Mode.
Laxative free since dec 30th 2008. (261 days)
Binge free for: 3
Purge free: 99.5% in 191 days
(updated:07-09-09)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:22 am 
i bite back hardcore

^^ I'm with Ephemeral. I think this is rife among contestants and she just has the courage to admit to it. However, I think anyone who is truly serious about recovery would not try to pursue a career in the modeling world. I wrote more on Jade McSorley here. Here's a snippet of what I wrote:

Quote:
...the casting of a model who is actively struggling with anorexia on a national television show viewed by thousands of aspiring girls and women raises serious concerns about how McSorley’s disorder will be presented and the ways it will be received by audiences. Will BNTM show the agony in whether to eat a salad? Will it catch McSorley doing endless rounds of leg lifts and crunches in the middle of the night? If her disorder is of the purging kind, will camera crews zoom in on McSorley hunched over the toilet, wiping vomit from her mouth? Will it show her collapsing, weak and white-knuckled, after a long grueling day on set? Considering that McSorley’s body isn’t so very different from other show contestants — just try picking her out of the lineup — will viewers see her bony arms, knobby knees, prominent ribcage and gaunt frame as ghastly… or glamorous?

McSorley and show producers rationalize her casting by insisting that viewers will see McSorley being lectured on the need to put on weight – as if all it takes to “cure” anorexia is the chance of winning a modeling contract in the same industry that celebrates and promotes an anorexic ideal. They say that during filming, McSorley was even denied for some jobs because of her low body weight. This may be the case for this competition, but in the real world, McSorley’s look is in high demand. Keep in mind: The British Fashion Council has, to date, refused to ban models with BMIs under 18 despite government insistence to do so. While it did issue an appeal for designers to use “healthy” models, the BFC argues that barring too-thin models “is neither desirable nor enforceable.” Casting McSorley in this competition is like show producers throwing a wounded woman to the lions before blood-thirsty Roman crowds.

www.the-F-word.org

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:32 am 
orange goddess

ephemeral wrote:
I think the only difference between this contestant and the ones on Americas next top model is that she openly admits it and has sought treatment.

This is true and in some ways I appreciate that, but at the same time the American one can pretend that the girls all look like that naturally. This one, on the other hand, plants the seed that she dieted to get there and hmm, maybe you can, too (and of course, you won't go as far as she did or actually get "sick" -- just thin).

notquitereal wrote:
i wonder how much makeup they had to put on her to give her any colour at all?

I agree. Look at the photos in that Sun article (or better yet, don't). She looks adorable. Anorexia is not adorable. That's not how it works. It's slow death. How can it help anyone to talk about her anorexia if they're showing beautiful photos and footage of her without also showing what she's going through or what kind of toll this is taking on her body?

Also - I dare myself to NOT watch this. I admit that I'm tempted, but this is a public commitment to stay true to my recovery. (For anyone else who is also tempted, writing down your intention really helps.)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:26 am 
orange you prolific

Sorry if I come across as being judgemental but this makes me so fucking angry. The things they do for ratings. It's giving off the wrong message to young people with a dream of modeling. You don't have to be skinny to be a model. Doesn't anyone remember Marilyn Munroe? Hello... when we discuss fashion icons she is most commonly the first to be mentioned. Let me also point out that Marilyn was a size 14-16.

Offline Profile