Last visit was: It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 pm 
orange wonder

I just clicked on Muse's link and it worked. I can't believe this. Is it a joke? It makes me so mad.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:12 pm 
orange wonder

f*** you Bacardi. I don't know where we're going, but I know where they are and that would be straight to hell.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:17 am 
i bite back hardcore

Bacardi contacted me and said that they have taken down the website. They added that they did not develop or sponsor it and suggested that McCann Digital used their brand without their permission. However, I was contacted by someone claiming to be with McCann Digital who said that Bacardi did initiate the campaign, that they specifically wanted the "Ugly Girlfriend" concept and MD tried to talk them out of it, and that the company has emails and correspondences to prove it. I'm inclined to believe the latter, since I already caught one inaccuracy in the statement Bacardi sent me. I'll keep you updated on what I find out.

www.the-F-word.org

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:50 pm 
^^ Yay that's brilliant! Do keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:05 am 
orange goddess

Sigh.

I want to believe Bacardi's response - it's so much nicer than any response I expected to receive from them. I was surprised that they even acknowledged that it was offensive, to be honest. I expected a "we appreciate your feedback and will look into it" kind of response. (Just goes to show how low my expectations are when it comes to corporations.)

Unfortunately, I'm sure you're right, Rachel. Please do keep us posted about what you find out. By the way, what was the other inaccuracy?

For those who are curious, here's the message I received from Bacardi:
Quote:
Dear Julia,

We wish to thank you for writing to us about the past promotional campaign for Bacardi Breezer.

As a Company and as individuals we are also angered and dismayed that such a campaign was ever created and we have taken immediate action to stop it as it violated our stringent global marketing principles that we firmly support.

By way of explanation, but by no means an excuse, Bacardi never sponsored nor developed this promotion. But we understand it is our brand and our reputation and you are our consumers. We are also embarrassed that we didn’t catch this breach sooner. We have been urgently looking into this matter to make sure this type of activity is never repeated.

What we do know is that a third-party developed and activated this brief campaign in one small market more than a year ago without our clearance. When we discovered this promotion, we instructed our distributor to shut it down as it did not comply with our global marketing standards. We are now urgently looking into the reasons why this program was recently reposted on the internet. In markets where Bacardi does not have a corporate presence, we are represented by third parties; in this case a distributor and its advertising agency, but they must adhere to our stringent marketing principles, which clearly this campaign did not.

When Bacardi found out about this recent reposting, we immediately notified the agency and distributor to shutdown the website.

Bacardi proudly celebrates diversity and we do not endorse the views of this site or the campaign, as it is offensive and completely inappropriate. We sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by this campaign and thank you, our consumers for bringing it to our attention.

Sincerely,

Bacardi Limited

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:55 pm 
orange wonder

I'm so glad they no longer have that ad. My boyfriend saw it too and he said it's not just sexist against women, but it stereotypes men as shallow a$$holes who can just use women as objects and nothing else.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:27 am 
orange you prolific

I'm glad I never saw this ad.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2