Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Fatties Cause Global Warming
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:16 pm 
the original orange

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 387203.ece

I'm seeing more and more articles indicating that the obesity epidemic somehow causes global warming (where's the evidence of that? From what I'm seeing they are blaming the pollution of food processing plants on obese people... and that's a bit of a stretch. Maybe we need better ways to produce/prepare food en masse. Maybe that's the real problem. And maybe processed foods high in refined sugar (high fructose corn syrup) are causing obesity and to blame people who are obese for what passes for "food" in this day and age... is just blaming the victim.

Has anyone else seen articles blaming obese people for global warming?

The planet has been cooling over the last year and a half. We are in a deep solar minimum with no sun spots [ www.spaceweather.com ] and solar minimums typically coincide with cooler temperatures on earth. Why is no one blaming the sun and it's changes for climate change on earth? :P

But noooooooooo... they have to blame fat people. :P :P

Anyone want to bet this line of argument is leading up to rationing and reduced food output that will affect ALL of us, large and small?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:10 pm 
orange scribe

I stream cnn and fox simultaneously while I am waxing teeth and while fox news was discussing the high school cheerleader that posed for playboy, cnn was talking about this very thing.
they were claiming that the food making process majorly contributed. And we are having to produce more food than ever before which is taking a toll on the environment... Well, to that point I feel a lot of it has to do with the use of pesticides. If we went back to an organic life...
the other point they made was that thin people are more likely to walk instead of driving. I disagree with that as well. I like a leisure walk, but always drive when I am trying to reach a destination. All the runners I hang with do the same thing.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:49 am 
orange goddess

FadingHippie wrote:
the other point they made was that thin people are more likely to walk instead of driving. I disagree with that as well. I like a leisure walk, but always drive when I am trying to reach a destination. All the runners I hang with do the same thing.

Oh, definitely. I think whether or not you walk places has more to do with where you live than anything else. In my town, it would be really impractical for me (or most people) to walk to the grocery store. It's five miles away on curvy roads with no sidewalks. That type of location doesn't really breed a walking culture, which shows when you look at how people treat our town center. It's completely walkable, but people only really do it if their main goal is to go for a stroll. It's five blocks long, literally, and just about everybody will drive from one parking lot to another. It's completely cultural. It's entirely unfair to claim that body size has an effect on how much people walk versus drive without looking at ANY other factors. Same goes for all of these things.

I can't even get into the processed food issue because all of it makes me so mad.

Ugh. Shame on whoever is writing these articles.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:11 am 
orange is a state of mind

That's daft...no matter what my weight, I like to go for walks. I live in the middle of nowhere so I have to walk a lot of places because I don't drive

Also, that link was to the Sun website- not something I'd trust 100% to be honest...but this one shows what a lot of people are actually thinking, no matter what the truth might be

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:22 pm 
YES I read this and LOL'd. This world is becoming a joke. Here we go again, passing the buck. Global warning what shall we do? I know, let's blame the fat kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:31 pm 
the original orange

Here's some other newspapers that have written variations on this story in the last year.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/s ... 09273.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster ... -we-b.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1 ... rming.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNe ... healthNews

I expect we'll see more of this clap trap.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:06 pm 
i bite back hardcore

This study is a joke. For one, they calculated fuel costs because they assumed that thin people walk or drive tiny cars and they assumed that because of their size, fat people drive SUVs or Hummer-like vehicles. This study is based on nothing but stereotypes and personal biases.

Part of the problem is that the (American) government is the largest subsidizer of foods like high fructose corn syrup. The national farm bill is set up to subsidize foods that make their way into less healthy processed foods at the expense of healthier fruits and vegetables. Big food manufacturers practically have politicians on their payrolls. Ever wonder why a processed Twinkie is cheaper than a peach? Now you know.

www.the-F-word.org

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:26 pm 
the original orange

Rachelr wrote:
Part of the problem is that the (American) government is the largest subsidizer of foods like high fructose corn syrup.

Surely you've read how the process of creating high fructose corn syrup seems to put mercury into foods, in tiny amounts?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01831.html

Do you think it's deliberate or bumbling?

Quote:
The national farm bill is set up to subsidize foods that make their way into less healthy processed foods at the expense of healthier fruits and vegetables.

Monocrop fields destroy the soil... creating the "dustbowl" effect (like in the dirty thirties).

Monsanto designed "killer seeds" that would produce food crops without seeds, attempting to create foods that would have to be purchased year after year. That's another rant and I'm sure you've heard it.

Quote:
Big food manufacturers practically have politicians on their payrolls.

Those with power will do what it takes for them to keep that power... and leverage control over the masses.

Quote:
Ever wonder why a processed Twinkie is cheaper than a peach? Now you know.

It's a conspiracy.

I know it seems so silly but it is.

And the whole blame-obese-people-for-everything is a part of the whole tax scheme they're building next. :P (out with carbon tax, in with obese tax? Maybe a blend of these two things? What tax will they hit the people with next??)

Offline Profile