Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:36 pm 
i love orange

I completely agree, i fee like society is completely brainwashed into thinking that calories/carbs= fat. SOO many people i know have so many unhealthy ideas about what it means to be healthy, and it really makes me sad. Calories/carbs are GOOD for you. It's only when you have an excessive amount when it becomes a problem. I think that people should focus less on restricting food to lose weight, and more on eating healthy food to fuel their body, and if they did that then weight wouldn't be an issue.

I'm not going to give anybody free rent in my head

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:11 pm 
the original orange

:soapbox:

Commercials. Advertising. Selling. It's about making people feel insecure enough that they feel compelled to buy the product. It's not about whether or not a calorie is energy or fat so much as how the commercial renders the viewer to feel inside. This manipulation is the heart of advertising... because advertisers need to compel you to keep spending money. On their stuff! Keep consuming what you are told you need to consume. Do as you are told. And then the tapes keep playing in your head about meaningless untruths like calories are fat and it's all gonna go to your thighs and some inane product song jingle you can't get out of your head, either.

If you leave television behind... eventually, a long time later... it stops happening like that so much. You don't feel as pushed and pulled. You can't even stand to pay attention to it anymore. There's too much else going on outside the TV set. And then... one day... you'll run into someone who still watches TV... and they'll start singing some stupid-sounding product jingle that you can't place at all because you've never heard it, and you can't tell them how silly they look repeating it.

The more people look to what's real and away from the picture box, the more people live for themselves... and aren't just buying because they were instructed to do so. People can develop a sense of self-worth that was otherwise attacked by emotionally manipulating commercials.

I really think there is something to this and that it's worth taking steps to protect yourself from being exposed to constant advertising. You may say you tune it out and it doesn't affect you or bother you but the mind absorbs a lot more in alpha state than you might realize.

TV alters brainwaves
http://www.corporations.org/media/tv.html

Effects of TV on the brain
http://www.eruptingmind.com/effects-of-tv-on-brain/

Television: The perfect drug
http://records.viu.ca/~soules/media112/ ... /index.htm

Who controls the media?
http://www.netscientia.com/media.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:57 pm 
power lies within

Yeah, it's changing your lifestyle, and finding the reason why you are overweight or underweight. If you are binging at night because you are lonely, a reduced calorie diet won't help you lose weight! It will just perpetuate the cycle.

I absolutely cringe when someone tells me they are "going on a diet".

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:10 am 
orange is a state of mind

I HATE this commerical.

It has always bugged me because it uses comedy to entice its audience and innocently normalise its unhealthy and distorted messages. It perpetuates a myth that many eating disorder sufferers buy into, that certain foods can 'magically' make you gain weight, and that foods should be categorised as morally 'good' or 'bad'.

It makes me sad that, in the case-study below, Nestle has intentionally targeted the demographic of 'body image seekers', preying on these who are most vulnerable to their irresponsible messages. Furthermore, it makes me even sadder that this ad was successful.

Marketing case-study:
http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/Case_Studies/Nestle_Diet_Case_Study.pdf

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:47 am 
stranger in an orange land

What are some helpful workout and dieting tips? Are there any exercises that burn a lot of calories? Foods I should stay away from besides sweets and sugars? Anything is helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by geoyaba on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:00 am 
orange is a state of mind

geoyaba wrote:
What are some helpful workout and dieting tips? Are there any exercises that burn a lot of calories? Foods I should stay away from besides sweets and sugars? Anything is helpful. Thank you.

:wbb: Hi

We Bite Back is an eating disorder recovery website. Because we are all here to recover from eating disorders, tips about burning calories and weight loss is generally not discussed. Rather, we focus on accepting your body as it is and working towards a healthy diet that doesn't exclude any major food groups and moderate exercise.

Feel free to make an intro post and get to know us all better :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 am 
peacefullyKeira wrote:
geoyaba wrote:

:wbb: Hi

We Bite Back is an eating disorder recovery website. Because we are all here to recover from eating disorders, tips about burning calories and weight loss is generally not discussed. Rather, we focus on accepting your body as it is and working towards a healthy diet that doesn't exclude any major food groups and moderate exercise.

Feel free to make an intro post and get to know us all better :)

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:30 am 
kismetjeska

Just saying I thought that reply was phrased brilliantly. :)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2