Last visit was: It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 am 
orange is hot

Not sure how relevant this is....but I was watching this show tonight with a friend who is trying to loose weight due to being at an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. It really makes me mad how unrealistic this show is--my friend is frustrated b/c she isn't loosing 10/15/20 pounds in a week. I'm like, they are working out all day and have everything completely controlled. Watching the show often causes her to overeat. I wish shows like this followed people at home more and showed how they managed to keep a job/school and have a healthy lifestyle.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:08 pm 
orange wonder

createchange wrote:
Not sure how relevant this is....but I was watching this show tonight with a friend who is trying to loose weight due to being at an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. It really makes me mad how unrealistic this show is--my friend is frustrated b/c she isn't loosing 10/15/20 pounds in a week. I'm like, they are working out all day and have everything completely controlled. Watching the show often causes her to overeat. I wish shows like this followed people at home more and showed how they managed to keep a job/school and have a healthy lifestyle.

We can only wish for something like that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:37 am 
i love orange

I am SO GLAD to hear I'm not the only one thats disgusted in the biggest loser. My mum and little brother watch it and I have to walk out the room. Personally, I really, really think that a 12 year old should NOT be watching a show like that. Hell, I think it should never have been allowed to air in the first place.

I understand that these people need to lose weight to be healthy, and the amount of weight they are carry can cause serious health problems. I understand, for some people, the reality of the situation is lose weight or die.

HOWEVER! The way The Biggest Loser goes about weight loss is immoral, unhealthy (10kg in a week???) and just plain wrong. Weight loss done in this fashion can't be maintained, the body would "rebound" once the participants go back to a normal lifestyle.

Quote:
I am sick of hearing from last yrs finalist (on the BL VLCD ads) that in order to maintain the weight she has lost she has to replace 2 meals with the shakes/bars/diets. That really isn't a healthy lifestyle, in my opinion

I couldnt agree more. VLCD should be for extreme cases, not a way to keep thin

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:36 pm 
feeling out the orange

While in a serious relapse a few months back I went on a BL binge. I read everything, trying all the exercise, etc (prior to that I'd always avoided it). It is immensely triggering to me, apparently. I find that it is the epitome of pop culture pro-ana. But so much of our celebrity-worshiping, post-Jane-Fonda culture is, right? I can only imagine that this show does well because it takes the whole weight-loss thing to another level. Or, to put it another way I can only imagine that pro-ana is popular/in the news because it takes the whole weight-loss thing to another level.

My mind can't figure out how to explain that they're so intertwined. But I feel it to be true.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:30 am 
healthy is sexy

This show makes me sick, I don't want much TV for this very reason. I find it too triggering and it disgusts me that it is considered socially acceptable. The psychology behind these disorders should be the focus not the freakin' boot camp crap. It just breeds fear and fear breeds EDs.

http://junkgarden.wordpress.com/

I've got better things to think about and to spend my time on.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:14 am 
exploring my potential!

Sorry to necro-post, but I saw no point in creating a new thread for a topic that's already here.

I was watching tv the other afternoon while having a break from study and saw the preview ads for the new Australian season of the Biggest Loser focusing on families.

I saw footage of an entire family sitting down to soup tureens full of ice cream, chocolate, and toppings and it just made me feel ill. I found the idea of these people eating that amount of food after a meal to be triggering at best.

Personal triggers aside, it really concerns me that these families going into the biggest loser will be over exercised, put on calorie restricted diets and when they go home, they'll go back to their previous eating habits. Education is important, being healthy is important. But having a bunch of people lose a chunk of weight and having very little education and support to gradually change their lifestyles means that they'll end up feeling worse about themselves and probably put all of the weight (and more) back on.

Shows like the Biggest Loser are really irresponsible in the way that they strongly encourage competition where weight maintenance is seen as a failure. I really wish they wouldn't have shows like that on television.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:46 pm 
orange goddess

I agree they shouldn't have shows like biggest loser on tv.

My mom got some Biggest loser tapes for Christmas. I read her an online interview with Kai the semi finalist from season 3 and even after hearing all they did to their participants my mother still insisted that the show's gotten better and they don't do that to the people. She doesn't get it. she thinks it so great what their doing. I think they only show public what they want to. I bet there's a whole lot of cruelity going on behind the scenes.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2