Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Oh my god, 'The Doctors" and The Biggest Loser
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:45 pm 
healthy is sexy

I was just appauled by the way they were all talking about weight in the beginning of the show "The Doctors." Today they had Jillian Michaels on as a guest host. And the way they were talking about weight was the same way they talk about weight on pro-ana sites!!! I'm not kidding!
They were saying how it's good to when you're trying to lose weight to find a picture of yourself when you were 'thin' or after you've lost weight to get a old pic of yourself when you were 'overweight' to motivate you not to overeat. !!!!!!!
Jillian Michaels said that she uses a picture of her old self with cellulite on her bum to remind her 'not to eat that donut.' :shock:
And also how we should all be counting calories.
They're talking about thinispiration!!!!! And reverse thinspo!!!!!
And promoting appetite suppressents!

And also I wanted to talk about The Biggest Loser, a show I used to like, until I read "The Obesity Myth" and did a 180.
Okay, so on this show, they promote compulsive over exercise, diets of 1400 cals a day (which many nutritionists consider a semi-starvation diet) & extreme shame & guilt when you don't lose weight, don't work out enough & etc. So who thought of this show? I know the 1st season winner fasted for days on end to lose enough weight to win. And the only season winner I still see around is Abby, who I've heard still works out 4 hours a day to maintain her dangerous weight loss.

God, after reading "The Obesity Myth" The Biggest Loser horrifies me!!!!
I've been watching BL this season and will watch it until the end because well, I do like the people on it and sympathise with many of their their problems with food. I remember this season, the trainer Bob was telling the 18 year-old Mikey that the reason why he wasn't losing enough weight (4lbs a week is not enough!?) was because he wasn't eating enough & he needed his metabolism to be humming along in order to lose the friggin 8lbs per week.
So wow, I wonder how many of the contestants restrict, fast & etc. to lose enough weight? Can you imagine the pressure? You're going to be on national TV, everyone will think you're lazy if you only lose 3lbs every week. God only knows what really goes on on the ranch.
Oh wait, and then last season, at one point Michelle (who ended up winning) used the famous pro-ana quote "nothing tastes as good as thin feels." :shock:
Scary.

It's really sad to me, because I really do like all the contestants on the show. They admit they have problems with comfort eating, and god do I ever know how that feels. But the crap this show shoves down their throat, on how to get 'better' is only going to make their problems worse.
And all their rapid weight loss is almost surely to be regained once they go home, which will make them feel awful. I think this show needs to be cancelled.

Sorry, for the rant, I intended this to only be about The Doctors epi today, but I had to get that off my chest. ;-)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 pm 
healthy is sexy

Does no one care about this but me?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:16 pm 
power lies within

No I am sure you are not the only person who cares about it at all. I actually missed this until you just commented on it. I don't watch The Biggest Loser. I despise the show. I have decided to never watch it again after catching a few minutes of it before and hearing one of the trainers say, "you aren't done working out unless you puke."

It is a very unhealthy show, an unhealthy way to jerk these people into losing weight. Unfortunately unless they make a lifestyle change they will probably end up yo-yo dieting most of their life.

It is all a very sad thing.

God I hate that show.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:08 pm 
exploring my potential!

I don't watch TV for this very reason.

It all makes me sad and angry.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:43 pm 
orange goddess

I get sad/angry if I even see commercials for this show. I HATE it when people bring it up casually or refer to behaviors on the show as though they're normal. Argh!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:03 am 
healthy is sexy

This is why it drives me absolutely up the wall when people demonize pro-ana. Yes, it's a terrible thing, but the people involved in it are suffering, otherwise they wouldn't do it. One of the symptoms of an eating disorder is wanting to stay eating disordered, and when almost exactly the same attitudes and beliefs that pro-anas have are mirrored all over society, perhaps even originated there, can you really blame vulnerable sick people for creating the pro-ana phenomenon?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:19 am 
stranger in an orange land

Jillian did not mean to speak about the subjects that way, She herself is very insecure in her body and has not been taught the healthy way of thinking about it. Though she tells contestants they are deserving, she does not feel she deserves happiness.

I love her so much and it's really sad.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:52 pm 
orange is a state of mind

I read Jillian Michael's Book (on weight loss) and a few of her tips were ones that I have heard of from pro sites.

I have a really big issue with the Biggest Loser. I'm staying at my Mum's house for the Easter holidays and they watch it. I usually have to leave the room when it's on becuase I tend to question my own weight, especially on the "weigh in" days.
And also while at my lowest point I did actually apply to be on the show.

A lot of the Australian Biggest Loser contestants are now selling the meal replacement VLC Diets or "weight loss" products. And a few of them look like they are in a healthy weight range so it baffles me that they still need to be using a "weight loss" regime. :( It sends out a very extreme view on weight loss, diet and exercise.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:03 pm 
the original orange

More crap on Biggest Loser... this time normalized nasty comments about obese people by the trainer, who calls them "half dead and not normal".

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/enterta ... not-normal

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:40 pm 
orange is a state of mind

This will probably turn rant like but...

I am so so glad here in Australia the BL final is tonight and I don't have to hear about it for another 12 months. I am sick of hearing from last yrs finalist (on the BL VLCD ads) that in order to maintain the weight she has lost she has to replace 2 meals with the shakes/bars/diets. That really isn't a healthy lifestyle, in my opinion.

I mean I recognise the benefit of VLCD for those who are morbidly obese and are being medically supervised but the one that is used by doctors here in Aus is graduated (my Aunt and Gran were medically compromised due to obesity and placed on the program) and the maintenence is no replacements and the "patient" gradually learns healthy eating and portion size... Well that's how my Aunt/Gran explained it to me.

I don't know that having a synthetic meal twice a day is the best way to long term health... Its just perpetuating a distorted view on food and healthy eating. But then they have to keep making $$ off 'clients' after they have lost the weight somehow.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:50 pm 
orange wonder

All righty, my mother bought me Jillian Michael's workout videos a few months after I relapsed hoping it would fuel my workouts and she even used to tell me how I looked just like her (nice going Mom). Sometimes I still use them, but I just put the TV on mute and play my favorite music in the background instead so I don't have to hear her bitchy voice.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:31 pm 
orange goddess

I love Jillian. But some of the things she says makes me wanna slap her. In one of her workout videos she says, "we need to keep the heartrate up to burn fat. If we're not burning fat, well, what's the point, right?" I love her, yes I do. But you don't exercise just to "burn fat"!!

I also read recently that one of the winners of the BL has regained all of his weight back and is getting his own show to film him losing the weight again. OOOH dear, society these days.

http://haveasliceofkatypie.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:56 pm 
power lies within

Is that the same lady from "Supersize Vs. Superskinny" and "You Are What You Eat"?

I'm a huge fan of "You Are What You Eat"!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:00 pm 
orange wonder

delenda wrote:
Is that the same lady from "Supersize Vs. Superskinny" and "You Are What You Eat"?

I'm a huge fan of "You Are What You Eat"!

No, that's Gillian McKeith. I actually do like that show as well compared to Biggest Loser because it focuses a little more on lifestyle change as opposed to the number on the scale alone. Here, health becomes a much bigger factor than weight.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:19 pm 
orange scribe

I always feel so much more chill about this stuff.

there are some people that need to lose weight to be healthy... just like there are some that need to gain to be healthy.

what's wrong with using a pic of yourself at a healthy weight (in this case of being overweight as is the context - thinner) to motivate to lose weight?

if I were to use a pic of myself at a healthy weight to gain would you react the same way?

as for gillian and cellulite... donuts aren't healthy for you.

she didn't say not to eat, but just not to eat that donut...

and she makes her livingoff of being healthy.

the biggest loser at least tries to tackle some of the emotional reasons why people gain weight... why they did.

it doesn't just focus on the weight part.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next