Last visit was: It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 pm 
i bite back hardcore

Quote:
Call me a feminist if you like, but this kind of thing really gets under my skin and irritates me.

What? Is it some kind of insult to be called a feminist? I'm proud to be a feminist.

www.the-F-word.org

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:09 pm 
orange you prolific

I hate that this article exists and is read by people. It's pure crap. But at the same time, I'm so glad that all of us have replied to this thread expressing our disgust for it. I'd definitely call myself a feminist and I'd definitely call this article TRASH.

http://youtube.com/arielleleebair [recovery videos]
http://twitter.com/arielleleebair

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:16 pm 
exploring my potential!

No, I'm not ashamed of my views and I don't think they're bad, but I don't like the word 'feminist' because of everything that is associated with it. Ultimately I believe that men, women and children are one and the same and equal. (I also extend this to animals because to me a life is a life but that's another discussion...)

Traditionally the word 'feminist' has been associated with women getting on their high horses and shouting that they are 'better' than men.

Nope. Equal. Perhaps I read too much into it... Perhaps it's just the definition that I have come to associate with the word 'feminist'. But that's a whole different discussion too!

What does it mean to be a feminist?

What images are associated with the word and the movement? Does anybody else feel hesitant to use the word because of negative associations?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:32 pm 
the original orange

I HATE the word feminist. Would prefer "humanist" or something that implies more equality between the sexes... not preference given to one over. But that's another rant.

I understand there are women who identify "feminism" to be an empowering word and they are able to identify positive things with the label, and good on them. It's not a word I like personally.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:34 am 
Yeah, the idea of feminism (real feminism) I understand and totally agree with, because really, it's just equal-ism. But the word its self has yukky connotations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:20 pm 
i bite back hardcore

Yeah - when I hear 'feminism' I usually tend to think of what's called a 'feminazi' (Yay Godwin's Law)

Y'know, the rabid type that want the spelling of the female sex changed to womyn, that sort of thing.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/1 ... hieru.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:55 pm 
great king of handstandshire

I've always thought feminists hate women and men equally, but themselves most of all...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:58 pm 
power lies within

I know women who identify themselves as feminists who are not scary, ball-busting, man-hating, women. And I hate that sometimes people think of that exact thing when they hear the word "feminist."

You can be empowered, proud, etc without being closed-minded to other things and other people...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:06 pm 
Yeah, 'feminism' needs new connotations. If you think about it, the current connotations go against the actual idea of feminism, being kind of discriminative. Lol perhaps I am over-thinking it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:27 pm 

I'd say a modern independent woman is about as useful as a philandering man who can't hold a job...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:10 pm 
power lies within

I don't know what the point of that comment is, Ian. "Modern" and "independant" and "woman" are all pretty good solid words to me. Mind you "philandering" can be a good time, and i know plenty of highly worthwhile men who wouldn't stand a chance of or be interested in "holding" your standard "job". So yeah, about as useful all around. Anyway, "useful"? I feel like we're at a cattle auction discussing bizarrely nebulous assets.

Feminism, when defined to be more like "human"ism like Sharon said - as it is by the wise and righteous and compassionate and beautiful male and female feminists i know - is right the fuck on. it's not about hating men or any of that shit, at all. So i don't mind being called a feminist, as long as i know the people applying it have the right association. i might not call myself one, though, for...well, the same reason i wouldn't say that i'm a "Communist" - because throughout history there's always someone calling themselves a Communist doing something heinous or stupid. so i don't want to bother risking a miscommunication because of the associations any given person might have...usually due to some kind of ignorance.

i enjoy that this tangent happened.
this article is so offensive...as Alex said, to men and women.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:01 am 
orange is a state of mind

I may well do anyway, but if I believed that ridiculous article, I'd be making the decision to die an old maid, hooray for staying single! It wouldn't half put me off the idea of a relationship.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:12 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I'm a feminist. Call me what you want: man-hater, bra burner, femi-nazi, comparable to a philandering man (I'm with you, Rache, what the heck does that mean?)

My reputation rests not on what you call me or I call myself, but on what I do.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:18 pm 

I don't care what you call yourself... I don't care about your rhetoric or all the things you think you're entitled to. At this point, all I care about is that everything is all fucked up.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/doczone ... index.html

No one wants to acknowledge that the reason it is fucked up isn't because we had good ideals and societal goals and failed to achieve them, but rather because the ideals and societal goals we had were wrong and are killing us.

Personally, I want to see a situation where power comes from people who trust, love and respect you and is lost the moment that trust, love and respect is gone.

Once that happens, all the men and women who want to be selfish can be selfish to their hearts content... and when they realize that they are all alone in the world by reason of their own choices and values, they can live out their days alone and unloved on the edges of society like animals.

As far as I'm concerned, the one word to call you is not man-hater or femi-nazi or anything along those lines. The word is "irresponsible".

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:27 pm 
power lies within

I think calling someone such negative things based on others' actions and not that specific person's isn't really realistic. I mean, I am not a fan of various specific people but by judging an entire group on such things, it makes it more of an issue where you have the problem, not them.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next