Last visit was: It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "9 little things all women should keep secret"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:08 am 
exploring my potential!

OK, this article royally pissed me off. I signed into my msn this morning, (OK, not this morning, I only got up at midday but in my defence I was up until 3 as usual!) and what am I greeted by?

I tell you... An article (written by women) telling women how to behave so that they can catch a man.

Some assumptions: Women are dumb and don't have general knowledge, we're all on diets, we all spend ages getting made up to go out, we can't manage our finances, WE NEED A MAN TO GET BY.

No. No we don't. Call me a feminist if you like, but this kind of thing really gets under my skin and irritates me. It's the jokey "we're all in it together, aren't we silly little girls, we must keep this from the men and have a titter about it in the office together" that does it for me I think. It's a throw back to 50 odd years ago when all a woman was after was a man so that she could be the perfect little housewife.

There is a balance. There is equality. Equality would be a much better message to be putting out there. Think of the amount of young teenagers who have hotmail accounts who will click over to the article and believe that is all they have to aspire to. Let's hope they have some healthy, strong minded role models in their lives to counter it.

http://dating.uk.msn.com/matchscene/art ... ocid=today

“What the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t grieve over”. So goes the old proverb. And we agree. There’s absolutely no harm in keeping a FEW things back from your loved one. He doesn’t need, or want, to know chapter and verse about your bowels, fungal infections or spectacular faux pas. We want him to think of you as being fragrant, flawless and a fabulous catch! Let’s draw a veil over our insignificant shortcomings, shall we? Here are the worst offenders you want to keep to yourself.

1. You don’t exercise.
Keep it a secret that you maintain your sylph-like figure by cutting down to nothing but carrots before a big date (this is a non-too subtle dig at Penny who occasionally has what she calls her ‘carrot’ days when this is virtually all that passes her lips!). Guys like to think that we are healthy, can run for a bus without fainting and enjoy the odd bracing walk. Nobody likes a couch potato.

2. You are useless with money.
Even if your debts are mounting and the bailiffs are at your door, don’t let on. A man will envisage big problems i.e. he’ll have to bail you out/finance your lavish lifestyle. Try to give the illusion you can manage your own income and outgoings. Start to economise sharpish and buy an alphabetical folder for bills so you can at least see what you have to pay out!

3. You diet constantly.
Telling men all about the fluctuations in your weight smacks of a lack of self-confidence, which is not an endearing quality. It is also deeply boring. Men are irrevocably disinterested in calories. It’s the equivalent of them giving you a blow-by-blow account of the FA cup final. And, they might be frightened that you will start them on a dull lettuce leaf diet too.

4. Your previous relationships.
A boyfriend is not to be confused with a father confessor! No man alive wants to hear you stifling a sob and sniffing ‘I came here with Kevin’. Draw a discrete veil over most of your past loves; knock a zero off the total, that kind of thing. They know you are not as pure as the driven snow (we’re guessing) but they don’t want their face rubbed in it.

5. Your chocoholism.
One bar a day is endearing (Oh bless - she’s got to have her chocolate fix…). On the other hand, seven king-size bars per day, one after the other sitting at your desk is NOT (another even less subtle dig at Penny who has a penchant for hoovering up those mini bags of sweets you often find in kids’ party bags). You’ll come over as excessive, out-of-control - and not in a good way.

6. Your ditziest remarks.
Guys like a girl with a brain. Don’t ask “Is East Berlin near West Berlin?” as I (Sarah, one half of this writing duo) once did. Or say, “So is Japan in Europe?” as I also did (Come on! It’s all the same land mass). Show interest if the conversation gets beyond you - Sub Prime Mortgage Crisis anyone? Ask interested questions and the guys will LOVE explaining it all. Their chests will swell with pride - they are so well-read and clever. Let them, don’t spoil it.

7. Your beauty routine.
What beauty routine? You just splash on a bit of soap and water, a light application of moisturiser, some mascara and you’re done! Never mind the heel-grater, the pumice stones, the cuticle softening cream, the anti-fungal nail varnish, the waxings, the shaving, the endless exfoliating, moisturising, plucking. They don’t need to know this - until MUCH later. You are a natural beauty. Do all of this preparation work in your own time. Otherwise he will be driven crazy waiting for you to get out of the bathroom.

8. Your vital statistics.
He WILL tell his friends, especially cup size. Plus, we all seem to have an image of the standard ideal woman as coming in size 36-24-36. That was in the 1950s! Everyone was petite then or held in by corsets! Just say you don’t know. But if he wants to tell YOU about any of his vital statistics, let him go ahead….(yikes!)

9. Your crush on his friend.
Men have their insecurities too. Just because we are dating someone does not mean that we can’t appreciate another man’s hunky good looks, wit and charm. It is one thing for his mates to think you are great. But, men do not like you to extol their friends’ virtues too enthusiastically. You wouldn’t like it either if he started to do this about your friends would you? Keep your thoughts to yourself. “The Dish” by Penny Isaacs and Sarah Lockett is published by Troubador (£9.95) on February 14th ISBN: 9781848761018

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:30 am 
power lies within

oh GOD how awful!!!!!!!!!!

poor fuckin' Penny!

i agree with you. ugh! come together, women, and not like this!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 am 
exploring my potential!

I really hate the part implying that all women are useless with money. :evil:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:09 pm 
FTYIY%^$EE^%%EDUKYF!!!!!!!!!!1 :evil:

This is EXACTLY the sort of crap I was talking to Shell about the other day. Sometimes I wonder if we really are any further along as a gender than we were in the 50's.... and it's usually not because of men! It's because of stupid women giving the rest of us a bad name.

Made me think of this hilarious sketch though.

God bless Harry Enfield :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:52 pm 
healthy is sexy

Penny... EDNOS much? :?

How ridiculous.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:07 pm 
exploring my potential!

sounds like an article from Cosmo magazine or some other bs literature.
________
Spice weed

Last edited by laura on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:43 pm 
i bite back hardcore

Kill it with fire><

"Men will tell their friends your vital statistics."

What the Hell, I wouldn't ever tell any of my friends my girlfriend's measurements because it's none of their damned business.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/1 ... hieru.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 pm 
^^ I think this article is just as offensive to men as it is to women.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:41 pm 
exploring my potential!

^^very true. Presenting men as shallow and superficial.
________
Jeep Liberty History

Last edited by laura on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm 
orange you prolific

OMIGOSH!
That is so fucked up!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:31 pm 
orange wonder

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

who would write that?
one really insecure and dependent, self loathing woman

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:22 pm 
galactic orange

Point 1 is so stupid... I can run for a bus without fainting, I am healthy, I do not live from carrots, and yet I am not fat.
And by the way, my boyfriend seems to like couch potatoes, otherwise he couldn´t like himself :roll:

And I can deal with money quite well, I haven´t got much to spend, but I (almost) always have some money left at the end of the month.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:01 am 
:soapbox:

I really hate women like this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:39 am 
exploring my potential!

I don't hate them. I pity them. They still believe this crap! They still believe that this is their role in life.

Glad to see I'm not the only one to get annoyed by this though! Thankyou for reassuring me that the world hasn't gone completely insane!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:31 pm 
Although I do pity that they believe this stuff it makes me angry that they preach it as the norm, as if everyone should behave like this.

<shrugs> perhaps hate is a little extreme of me though :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next