Last visit was: It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:35 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Four arguments for the elimination of television
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:35 pm 
the original orange
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:52 pm
Posts: 7323
Location: Cozumel, Mexico
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-C ... -Mind.aspx

If you take the time to read this rather lengthy article, you will have an understanding of how the flicker rate is used to bombard the conscious mind so much it goes into a passive mode and just receives information rather than thinking about it critically.

Studies have found that watching television will reduce the metabolic rather far more than just being sedate. (but that's another discussion...)

Would love to discuss anything from the concept of advertising-as-propaganda, the differing flicker rates between US televisions and UK televisions, or any observations you've made about television use... anything in the article above you find interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTN3s2iVKKI


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:38 pm 
healthy is sexy

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 11:40 pm
Posts: 333
Location: Florida
Is that copyright date correct--1977? People have known these things for THAT long, and yet nothing's been done? (Maybe I shouldn't be surprised?)

I must admit that I only skimmed the article. But it all does make sense. People zombie out in from of the television these days.

I haven't watched television (like, commercial TV) in months. And I've noticed a difference in the way my mind works. I'm more sensitive to things, more reactive, and less accepting... no, less passive.

Sorry, I haven't the mind to discuss anything in depth right now, I just wanted to comment because this is very, very interesting. It's something everyone should know. Thanks for making this post.

I'm going to tell my mother to have a look at that article, she's an old hippie and hates TV. I think she'll appreciate it.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:59 pm 
I can't sit and watch telly and do nothing. I have to be doing something else at the same time, even if it's just playing solitaire.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:13 pm 
orange is a state of mind
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:57 pm
Posts: 2248
Location: Arlington, MA
Wow. Fascinating stuff.

I've watched TV once in the six months I've been at Riggs, on election night. That was important to me, but as for the rest, I don't feel like I'm missing out.

_________________
"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you."
--Marianne Williamson

"Failure is a temporary detour and should never become a permanent address."
--Dr. Myles Munroe


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:54 pm 
the original orange
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:52 pm
Posts: 7323
Location: Cozumel, Mexico
Molly wrote:
Is that copyright date correct--1977? People have known these things for THAT long, and yet nothing's been done? (Maybe I shouldn't be surprised?)


Please please PLEASE see the 1979 movie "Network", and you will be absolutely SHOCKED at the similarities in the global and corporate politics between now and then. It is an excellent movie about everything wrong with television. Invoked a paradigm shift within me.

Quote:
I must admit that I only skimmed the article. But it all does make sense. People zombie out in from of the television these days.


This article is amazing... I've been slowly reading through it the last couple days. It gets very zen towards the end.

Quote:
I haven't watched television (like, commercial TV) in months. And I've noticed a difference in the way my mind works. I'm more sensitive to things, more reactive, and less accepting... no, less passive.


It starts to grate on you! Like a cheese grater on your mind.

Quote:
Sorry, I haven't the mind to discuss anything in depth right now, I just wanted to comment because this is very, very interesting. It's something everyone should know. Thanks for making this post.


I am glad you appreciate it!!

Quote:
I'm going to tell my mother to have a look at that article, she's an old hippie and hates TV. I think she'll appreciate it.


Yes I think she would. Might even be a conversation-starter.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki