Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: UK Women's Magazines
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:11 pm 
galactic orange

Okay, this is bugging me...

Many times I have noticed the abundance of cosmetic surgery advertisements in the back of women's mags from the UK. Canadian magazines don't have anywhere near that level, and from what I've seen, even corporate- and image-obsessed American publications aren't that bad.

Here are some recent slogans used in said ads:

"One year on I'm more confident than ever!"

"A more affordable new you!"

"Be gorgeous, be smart with Linia. Enhancing the real you..."

"Improving looks, changing lives..."

"Radiate confidence with cosmetic surgery."

"Feel Inspired!"

I'm sorry, but what the fuck is having my boobs enlarged going to inspire me to do? Dress like a whore? Furthermore, how does it make me "smart", improve my confidence, or change my life? Yeah, sure, looking good makes a person feel confident, but can't that confidence be achieved through proper diet, regular healthy exercise, sound mental health, a good social support network...? I could alter my life by improving all those aspects, without ever coming into contact with a surgeon's knife. Unless I was disfigured in a horrible accident, or I was born with some type of extreme physical deformity...

But WHY are they pushing this so much?! Why do UK advertising standards allow this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:10 pm 
orange wonder

I hate magazines. It's such a trigger to see all that crap on who gained/lost, or how lose in x amount of time, and tuck that tummy and all that shit. No matter we are all trapped in our ED's. Food/weight is EVERYWHERE.

Although I gotta say, my boobs are certainly a thing on my body i like. Except when I want to go running and it just isn't possible. 36D is hard to hold up.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:41 pm 
Because we live in a shitty country, where everything is about image and money, and no one cares what damage they do to people's self esteem as long as they are making a big fat profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:13 pm 
orange you glad?

Alexandra wrote:
Because we live in a shitty country, where everything is about image and money, and no one cares what damage they do to people's self esteem as long as they are making a big fat profit.

Well said..couldn't have put it better myself..and its definately got worse in the past few years. Im emigrating as soon as I can...anyone got any ideas on where is a better place to go?

But UK magazines are awful..I dont read them, as marybeth said, they are such a trigger. Everything is about image, or weight, or diet or worse still rumours about celebreties EDS..not only is it all drivel, they are just one big trigger.

On the general f*cked upness of our image concious, quick fix society..I started a new job at David Llyod this week..and in the ladies changing rooms the only adverts are for cosmetic surgery. Is it just me or is that just somehow wrong? Surely the gym should be encouraging a healthy lifestyle, including healthy exercise to keep you at your bodies right shape....the last thing you want when your stood in front of the mirror, sweaty in your lycra is to be confronted with is a "perfect" women smiling in an advert telling you how liposuction and breast augmentation are the easier, better, more effective way to get the results you want.

I hate it all...I really do.

"My rollercoaster's got the biggest ups and downs, as long as it keeps going round its unbelievable!" Kimya Dawson

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:54 pm 
i love orange

slightly off topic but in a town centre shopping place where i live there was a HUGE poster for the harley medical group (plastic surgery) on the side of a sushi restaurant. i stopped and said to my boyf, isnt that a bit unusual??? i thought was was terrible. i mean what???

We'll make it last forever.

PARAMORE

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:47 am 
galactic orange

Quote:
slightly off topic but in a town centre shopping place where i live there was a HUGE poster for the harley medical group (plastic surgery) on the side of a sushi restaurant. i stopped and said to my boyf, isnt that a bit unusual??? i thought was was terrible. i mean what???

hahaha, i've seen those. there's one right outside a pizza express near me, and it makes me laugh every time i walk past it because i'm always stuffed to the brim with yummy food when i do. it actually doesn't affect me at all because i look at it and just find it terribly sad. i'm much happier being natural and myself than i ever would be being plastic. but i suppose it IS terrible in that it's there to appeal to vulnerable people.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:44 am 
orange like clockwork

I hate gossipy magazines. I am a Media student, so totally avoiding them would probably prove impossible for me. I completely avoid buying them but they are the typical reading fodder in the tearoom of my Mum's work, and when I wait for her to finish up and meet her there I sometimes flip through. I mean, where else can you read about people being buried in their wheelie bins and love affairs with toilets and all that important tripe?!

I learn not to focus on the diet plans any more, in any magazine. I've learnt now most of them are dangerous and starvation diets and not a healthy way to lose weight. That or they're common sense: a reasonable and balanced plan, but, jesus, it's really obvious if you're telling someone the equivilent of "EXERCISE A BIT MORE AND EAT SENSIBLY!" Can I say DUH?

I've actually begun writing to any magazine I discover promoting a starvation diet. As of yet they've never written back but I think it's a good way to start pressing for them to change.

Unfortunately, on the plastic surgery ad thing, they are slowly leaking further than the back pages of a gossip mag and onto billboards and even the TV ads. That one with all the people walking on air around others all high and mighty? UGH.

If someone wants plastic surgery or cosmetic surgery, fine. It's like with a tat or a piercing or otherwise - it is their body, at the end of the day. But to imply you'll be a BETTER person for having something done? That's what gets me, yeah.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:32 pm 
orange you prolific

Thanks for sharing this.
I must admit most of the ads at the back on Australian magazines are dating hotlines and ads for sex toys.
There tend to be quite a few ads on liposuction in magazines though.
That REALLY annoys me.
Like those ones with before and after pictures.
UGH!
Seriously, magazines should stick to what they're good at- the stories.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:41 am 
stranger in an orange land

Does plastic surgery or facial reconstruction get rid of the underlying problems of acne breakouts? I know people can get plastic surgery and facial reconstruction to change the appearance of their whole face, but does that solve the underlying problem for people with acne problems or other kinds of breakouts? I would figure that problem surfaces underneath the skin, so maybe it wouldn't prevent them from having the same problems, or does the surgery pretty much cut out all those layers of skin and puts on a fake one so there isn't any layer underneath to cause problems again?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 pm 
getting under the peel

Agh, I know what you are saying. I try my best to avoid even glancing at things like that. Makes me trigger.
I worked at a checklane in a grocery store for a long time, and I got bombarded with those awful magazines all the time.
I seriously don't get why anyone would every buy one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:50 pm 
orange you prolific

US magazines aren't any better. Although I do enjoy non-weight/looks/etc magazines....science magazines and the like...but those are almost never the ones you see shopping.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:20 pm 
orange wonder

komich wrote:
US magazines aren't any better. Although I do enjoy non-weight/looks/etc magazines....science magazines and the like...but those are almost never the ones you see shopping.
I know, right? Most of the time, if you want a hobby magazine, you have to go to Barnes and Noble or just order a subscription online.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:12 am 
orange you prolific

I've seen a fair few hobby magazines around recently actually... like knitting and crochet :D seen a few different card making ones too! I've been tempted..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:37 pm 
healthy is sexy

I'd agree the U.S. magazines are no better. All the women's mags have ads for diet pills, diet & training plans on-line, liposuction, lap-band surgery, etc., etc. And just try to find one women's magazine without an article on losing weight. Can't do it. Even the so-called healthy magazines will embrace plenty of ads for "miracle" weight loss pills with plenty of before and after pictures. One magazine I saw had a woman, I kid you not, whose height was listed as 5'4" (I remember because it's my height exactly) and her "before" fat burning picture was around 130 lb. (a healthy weight for this height) and she was obviously poofing out her stomach trying to make herself look fat and her "after" photo with all her lean muscle etc. read - "99 lb.! Amazing results!" She looked awful and very dehydrated (like she'd hit the diuretics hard before the photo shoot) but that ad ran for the longest time in one of the magazines I subscribed to (maybe Oxygen, I never re-newed the subscription, I was too disgusted by that advertisement).

I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost

Offline Profile