Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: i hate tv, magazines, all of it!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:05 am 
orange wonder

I'm trying not to purge and restrict, but it's so difficult when ALL i see are magazines for weight loss and commercials for dieting. It's disgusting! The people that are targeted are people that are barely overweight, if at all! It makes me so frustrated seeing this, living in a society that cares so much about image. I feel personally attacked just watching or reading about anything having to do with weight loss. I get so anxious hearing about dieting, because for people it is just a diet, but not for me. A diet results in starvation and a physical fear of food and I can't take it. I hate when my friends go on diets or say "This is so fattening," and i feel like i can't escape it. I feel like I can't escape the horrible banter about food/weight all of it. I get so anxious. My friend who knows all about my ED watches me cringe when a commercial comes on about weight loss, and I just feel so awkward.

What do you guys think?
Sorry, had to rant no matter how stupid it is
How did you arrange for all of this to NOT bother you so much?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:20 am 
power lies within

you have to stop apologising missy! i am RIGHT with you. it's been driving me up the wall lately especially. and i don't want to start a whole thing about it, but good lord - three different magazines, three different stories glossing the gaunt frame of angelina jolie -
1) "How Angie Keeps Looking Thin - her secret: "Wear a great dress!"
2) "Angelina's Secret Tummy Tuck!"
3) "Angelina FORCED INTO THERAPY!! She's super skinny but thinks she's fat! [emphasis and punctuation theirs.]

honest to god. this is the world we're living in people!

fuck this shit, eh?! ah well there's always stuff like Bitch magazine if you know where to look!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:20 am 
healthy is sexy

Ahh! And I know it's for a good cause but I saw an ad on TV the other day for the diabetes foundation asking everyone to lose 5kgs this spring! I was so angry. Do some people think the whole world is full of fatties?? And I am sure if the celebrities did have issues about their weight I they should stop getting hounded by the media and get some treatment!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:02 am 
orange you glad?

Don't get me started on popular media.

Kill your tv!!!!!!!

I effectively haven't watched cable in about close to a year (I make exceptions for Nip/Tuck.....I got my priorities in order) and only ever see those magazines when I'm in line at stores and even that amount of time is too much--those magazines are fucking creepy, as well as television programming and commercials. I mean, in this "culture" how can anyone be expected to escape poor body image. It's no wonder eating disorders are as prevalent as they are.

"now i have this thing, which is new and i don't understand. i am not sad. i am just re-writing" --R.A.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:54 pm 
orange you prolific

Don't watch America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, don't read Glamour or Elle or etc., none of that crap. It's like poison for your eyes :(

I wouldn't blame the media itself, but it doesn't help.

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. ~Oscar Wilde

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:24 am 
orange is hot

I know what you guys mean,
Does society these days really need all that pressure to be thin, they wonder why eating disorder numbers have jumped.
I don't see why they don't wake up to the world and see what they are doing to poor teenagers like me, I think these days it's getting so out of hand, I mean young children should not have to worry about what they eat. I remember my little cousin a few years back, she was like 6 I think and she wouldn't even eat a spoonful of her own birthday cake because she wnated to look like a barbie/bratz doll. Why can't they just make dolls ect a "healthy size" you know make them more realistic.

With this whole obesity epidemic that's going on in Australia I have a feeling that ED's are just going to keep rising. I mean regular weigh in's at schools, going through kid's lunch boxes and teaching them that they should not eat foods such as ice- cream and chocolate and to stick to low fat foods is really going to help isn't it, all of these elements work together with those T.V ad's and those magazines to create a giant bomb that's just sitting ready to go off, ready to take over the way we all think to make sure that we fit in.

If you ask me it's all a load of rubbish.
I really rambled on there didn't I
Sorry.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:14 am 
healthy is sexy

Weigh-ins at school put me in this hell.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:19 am 
power lies within

oxosuzieoxo wrote:
I know what you guys mean,
Does society these days really need all that pressure to be thin, they wonder why eating disorder numbers have jumped.
I don't see why they don't wake up to the world and see what they are doing to poor teenagers like me, I think these days it's getting so out of hand, I mean young children should not have to worry about what they eat. I remember my little cousin a few years back, she was like 6 I think and she wouldn't even eat a spoonful of her own birthday cake because she wnated to look like a barbie/bratz doll. Why can't they just make dolls ect a "healthy size" you know make them more realistic.

With this whole obesity epidemic that's going on in Australia I have a feeling that ED's are just going to keep rising. I mean regular weigh in's at schools, going through kid's lunch boxes and teaching them that they should not eat foods such as ice- cream and chocolate and to stick to low fat foods is really going to help isn't it, all of these elements work together with those T.V ad's and those magazines to create a giant bomb that's just sitting ready to go off, ready to take over the way we all think to make sure that we fit in.

If you ask me it's all a load of rubbish.
I really rambled on there didn't I
Sorry.

this is inSANE! i can't believe the bit about the six year old... but then again, I can believe it. i canvassed for work outside a La Senza Girl for chrissake.
I can't believe they go through lunches though! and try to eliminate fat! oh my GOSH.
and weigh-ins?!
i'm glad you two girls have a head on your shoulders about it.
Australia what are you doooooooing?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:44 pm 
orange is hot

WHAT!! They weigh in school kids? They haven't even stopped growing yet, why the **** would you weigh in a kid that still needs to grow? They are teaching kids to be ashamed of what they eat and what they weigh, instead of teaching them to like themselves. That's what should be taught instead - self esteem.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:53 pm 
orange wonder

weighing kids at school?!
thats despiceable..and terrifying

sorry to you ladies in Aussie :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:16 pm 
child of the universe

ahhh media... I have spent the past 3 years studying this phenomena...and it just perplexes me all the more. Our culture is sick...I mean really, sick...it needs to be healed. How do we heal it?

It makes me so sad.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:41 am 
orange is hot

that weighing kids in schools thing is hopefully being demolished because I heard people are complaining, they had a petition in the local news paper and they had a poll and people voted against it but there were still some people that voted they should have them because it will reduce the amount of fat kids. That's exactly what they said "FAT KIDS" Do these people have no hearts? I don't think they realise just how much damage they are doing to us kids.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:07 am 
orange is hot

If the practice of weighing kids at school is still around when I have kids, I'll be firmly saying that my kids will not be getting weighed - hopefully that will open up some of the parent's eyes to what effect it has on their kids, and they'll do the same.

That is, of course, if I actually send my kids to school. I'd much rather teach them at home.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:32 am 
orange like clockwork

yeah, i thought about that, too, teaching my future kids at home.
because where can you go without getting completely poisoned ideas of life these days? i want them to become more confident before i send them out there.

a huge bother to me are those magazine ads that sport not even remotely overweight women with a huge weight-loss caption beneath. don't they get that diets are for people who are likely to die of obesity if they don't undergo those drastic changes?
it's disgusting.

Offline Profile