Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 'manorexia'
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:35 pm 
orange goddess

a couple of days ago i was watching the morning news and there was a story about 'manorexia' as they call it. they were saying in america, it was once thought that 10% of anorexia sufferers were male but now the figure is more like 25%

ive spent the last hour trying to find the article but this was the closest I could find

http://www.smh.com.au/news/life--style- ... 31038.html

the monster is a star
Out steps a beauty
Now watch her walk away
Another grand illusion
if you wanna pay

Death of it all ~ Rob Zombie

(AKA AussiePixie)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:32 am 
galactic orange

It must be really hard for boys/men to find support when they have an ED. Most people think it´s a female problem. "Men don´t have EDs".

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:16 am 
orange is hot

Yeah, it is a lot harder for guys - i know three guys with eds, and i think that it's hard for them to even get people to take them seriously when they do say they have an ed.

i am so sick, though, of people putting 'orexia' on the end of all sorts of eating disorders. men/boys get anorexia and bulimia too and it's ok to call it that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:17 pm 
orange you glad?

belle wrote:
Yeah, it is a lot harder for guys - i know three guys with eds, and i think that it's hard for them to even get people to take them seriously when they do say they have an ed.

i am so sick, though, of people putting 'orexia' on the end of all sorts of eating disorders. men/boys get anorexia and bulimia too and it's ok to call it that.

I've known several men who have admitted to having or having had eating disorders as well and I agree that it can be harder for them. The stereotype is that men with eating disorders are gay or athletes and the ones I have known have been neither. Eating disorders happen. They aren't choosy who they choose to bully and torment.

I am also sick of media stick the "orexia" suffix onto words: "manorexia," "drunkorexia." It is really insulting. People develop eating disorders. It happens, I wish with all of me that it didn't, but it does. Using that suffix really only serves to minimize the problem.

That wasn't meant as an attack on anyone for using it, I think most people at WBB are in agreement about it, but it does kinda get under my skin.

"now i have this thing, which is new and i don't understand. i am not sad. i am just re-writing" --R.A.

Offline Profile