Last visit was: It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "Love my bones"
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:35 am 
galactic orange

Look at this shirt... reading this almost made me sick.

For more information see
http://lagunaz-moombaz.deviantart.com/a ... s-96333977

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:20 am 
Yes I saw that in topshop a while back. I was horrified as well. Tbh, although I like some of the clothes, topshop pisses me off in general because they clearly use children to model their clothes. It's ultimate 'thinspo'. You just have to walk into one of their shops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:54 pm 
stranger in an orange land

I hate that shirt when I saw it I was with my cousin and I was like 'woot... pro- ED!' (sarcastic obviously) my cousin even saw my point!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:22 pm 
the original orange

Here's an article on it:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 13931.html

It goes on about how mainstream media is actively trying to popularize eating disordered behavior through fashion, reality television, and so on.

It's an assault on the masses.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:22 am 
galactic orange

Quote:
MTV is under fire for promoting competitive dieting and fuelling the damaging size-zero catwalk culture, following the announcement that it is to launch a controversial new TV show in which girls must lose between 30 and 80lb in the hope of becoming a model. The channel is advertising the show Model Maker with a request for "girls willing to shed the pounds" in a three-month boot camp in a quest to become a "self-confident, high-profile fashion model".

I was shocked when I read this part of the article. Don´t these people ever think about what they do to the watchers of their shows?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:28 am 
galactic orange

"Girls are not born hating their body, so we have to teach them."
I forgot who said this about the media. But it´s true :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:44 am 
galactic orange

I saw this when out shopping and was ready to complain...though i didnt have the guts... i guess its not the girl in the shops fault

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:15 am 
Wolf wrote:
Quote:
MTV is under fire for promoting competitive dieting and fuelling the damaging size-zero catwalk culture, following the announcement that it is to launch a controversial new TV show in which girls must lose between 30 and 80lb in the hope of becoming a model. The channel is advertising the show Model Maker with a request for "girls willing to shed the pounds" in a three-month boot camp in a quest to become a "self-confident, high-profile fashion model".

I was shocked when I read this part of the article. Don´t these people ever think about what they do to the watchers of their shows?

Have a look here

I'M SO F*****G MAD!!!

I'm gonna email them and complain. Not that it will do anything but at least it will make me feel a little like I've done something.

Ok done. This is what I wrote:

To whom it may concern,

I could not believe my eyes when I read the advertisement for this new show. I could not believe that someone would be so heartless as to think of this concept and call it entertainment.

What you are doing is taking impressionable and insecure young girls and stripping them of their dignity and health. You are reinforcing the sad belief that you must be as thin as possible to be successful and beautiful. You are feeding a society where nobody is happy with the way they look, with the way they are.

Have you ever looked into a mirror and despised what you see looking back at you? Have you ever been so deperate to lose weight that you will do anything? That you are a failure because you don't look like the airbrushed and emaciated fashion model on the cover of a magazine? This is how an increasing number of women are feeling, all over the westernized world, and it is because of people like you. Taking desperate and deluded young girls and making them race towards such a terrible goal is pathetic. It's shallow and outright disgusting.

"15 lucky women"?? I don't think so. "Ideal size"?? No, definately not. I don't know anyone who's "ideal size" is that of a fashion model.

For 12 years I suffered from anorexia. I almost lost everything I had to that illness. It is a living hell which I would wish on nobody, and now I'm watching my little sister going through the same thing, being brainwashed by people like you into thinking that thin=ideal. I hear 10 year old girls complaining that they're 'fat'. Read stories of 5 year olds on diets. YOU are devil on their shoulders whispering in their ears, telling them that they are not good enough.

Stop sugar-coating your words. Why not just call this show 'The Race to Anorexia'?

I know that this email will not probably achieve anything. I know that one person's complaint will probably not change the world. But I'm tired of using my body as a statement, and from now on, I'm going to use my voice.

Alexandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:59 am 
orange is a state of mind

^Well I think you just used your voice damn well! :clap:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:21 pm 
the original orange

Wolf wrote:

I smell a conspiracy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:24 pm 
the original orange

Alexandra - bravo on your response. Where is their contact page for anyone else who wants to say a word?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:33 pm 
the original orange

More articles/blog entries on MTV's Modelmaker

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-mtvs- ... -great-tv/

http://tiffabee.wordpress.com/2008/09/2 ... disorders/

http://mamavision.com/2008/08/26/wannabe-dead/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:16 pm 
I just emailed them at mtvmodel@madwood.tv

Dunno if it will get through, I hope it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:52 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Also, do make a written complaint at any store where you see these shirts; tell them that you will never shop there again and that you will tell everyone you know, including at online sites (remind them how many people belong to online communities), to avoid shopping there if they do not change their policies. Remember to request that they respond to you by a certain date, or you will be escalating.

Sometimes it has an impact; I have had some things removed...sometimes it just feels good to feel like you have flipped the bastards the bird...

I'm starting to get interested in the power of facebook campaigns for social action goals - I don't know enough bout facebook, but I have read about it being used very successfully to mobilise large numbers of people quickly. Does anyone else know much about facebook and how it could be used this way?

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:38 pm 
orange is a state of mind

We have a big new Topshop in the new part of the shopping centre that's just been built here. I've never been in there, it only opened a few weeks ago and I haven't been with cash so to speak, but I bet they stock that shirt if it's current... I wonder how they'd react if I walked in on my crutches pre-IP and complained loudly about it on a saturday when they were full of shoppers? I'm not sure I'd have the nerve, but I'm actually damn curious as to the reaction I'd get. ATM you can see I have an ED I suppose so people would probably comment in some form? Or would they be too embarrassed? I wonder...You know if me and my sister were talking and she would go with me I'd just have to try and see. I think I'd be too nervous on my own though! What if I ended up recorded on someone's fancy mobile phone or something?? It's an interesting thought though!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next