Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Petition Regarding Anorexia and Obesity in the UK
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:07 pm 
getting under the peel

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Anorexia-Obesity/

It's a UK government petition about the adverse effects all the campaigning about obesity is having on sufferers of anorexia.

"Media campaigns focusing on the problems of obesity in children and young adults are having an adverse effect on sufferers from eating disorders such as Anorexia Nervosa. Together with the endless supply of food and cooking programmes on the TV, young sufferers of Anorexia are getting messages about obesity which are reinforcing the negative thoughts about body image which they are already experiencing. This petition asks the government to ensure there is a more balanced view presented and to raise awareness of the symptoms and dangers of Anorexia and other similar eating disorders, as well as the dangers of obesity, in its bid to improve the health of the nation."

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:35 pm 
galactic orange

I´ve never thought about that... but it makes sense. We are told that "being fat" is unhealthy, dangerous and bad. "Being fat" means a lack of self control and "no one will like you when you look like that".
So people with an ED feel that being thin must be so much better...
But I think it will be difficult to change this- it´s important to show the risks of obesity, but we should never forget that underweight is not healthy at all, too.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:35 pm 
orange is a state of mind

I admit that whilst I found it a triggering program, I do think programs showing the unhealthy aspects of BOTH sizes like that series "Supersize versus Superskinny" (or something like that?) are much more along the lines of things that should be shown rather on always focussing on one extreme. That one was about showing how people significantly over OR under eating either over OR UNDER the normal BMI range could be really unhealthy. I'm not sure they did it in the best way they could have, I found it kinda triggering, but the intention/outlook of the programme was good.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:23 pm 
galactic orange

i find all this 'heathy food' labels realy hard... trying not to count calories and fat etc and it there plastered hugely across the front with big red marks for anythign with fat in. I see why its like that...but its hard

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:30 am 
orange is a state of mind

-Kel- wrote:
i find all this 'heathy food' labels realy hard... trying not to count calories and fat etc and it there plastered hugely across the front with big red marks for anythign with fat in. I see why its like that...but its hard

It's when they have those red labels on healthy foods like seed mixes or something, making people think ALL fat is bad when it's not! They need to make a distinction between an overall healthy food and a non more than just the nutritional makeup. Are they gonna red label avocadoes too? Or olive oil? They're not really getting the right healthy eating message across.

Offline Profile