Last visit was: It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: A Problem Missed?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:04 am 
power lies within

So I was watching The N's Student Body. This is a show about 2 groups of students from 2 different high schools who were overweight (actually...they might have technically been obese) and they are taught about nutrition, exercise, etc. The students try to lose weight and the high school group that loses the most, gets money for their school, while the one student that has the biggest change in their lifestyle and weight gets $45,000. Anyway, there was a kid on there, Bronston or something, who started exercising 2-3 times a day. This wasn't like walking as exercise either. He would be running, weightlifting, etc. At one point one of the people from the show asked if he was eating enough since he was losing such a large amount of weight. He said that he was meeting his menu goals 95% on average. I am just wondering if the people who helped build his menu and such banked on him exercising that much. I mean, the other contestants started calling him "The Beast" from his reputation of being a work-out fiend if you will. I don't know, they worried about food intake with him, but they didn't seem to mention over-exercising...

I am not at all sure if this is the place topost this, I just wasn't sure where else...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:59 am 
orange wonder

i havn't seen this programme- but it sounds scary and i suppose we must ask ourselves does someone always have an ED- are u born with it- and then it is when external things happen things get out of control- or they students are obese or overweight- does the student already have an ED- and just changed one addiction to another?
but for the student- it will not help them- it's society pushing the 'norm' on us again...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:04 pm 
power lies within

i moved it to "Keep Your Eyes Peeled" :) (which is public)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:41 pm 
power lies within

Oh ok! Thanks Rache! :)

Yes Breda, while the show was attempting to help bring obese kids to a healthy lifestyle, it does tend to make a larger impact than I think was planned...not necessarily a good one either.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:43 pm 
the original orange

There's a sudden increase in reality television shows that outright encourage eating disorders, over exercise, crash dieting, and more... competitively. I am not sure of the reason for the sudden surge in this sort of programming... but I see it as an attack on the viewing masses.

Offline Profile