Last visit was: It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: American Dad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:17 am 
i love orange

I was watching Amican Dad on Adult Swim and it was talking and sort of pointing fun at Anorexics.

It was really weird, it made me think about what I was and still am seeing in the mirror... the fat person that really isn't there....

It was just wierd to me that I was able to think that hard over a stupid cartoon.

~Sera~

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:31 pm 
power lies within

I've seen them both. I think family guy makes fun of bulima in an ignorant way. The american dad episode at least acknowledged that the disease affects both the person and his/her family. It acknowledges that those of us with eating disorders do not see ourselves accuratly. However, it did kinda candy coat the recovery process. It wasn't even a process, it was like a split second of: I do have a problem. I am in no means defending either shows, but I thought the american dad show did have some valid points.

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:17 pm 
the original orange

In Family Guy, Meg Griffin frequently makes reference to her own bulimia. Other members of the family encourage her towards it while taunting her for her appearances. It's formulaic.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:27 pm 
exploring my potential!

^ yeah i know it pisses me off soooo bad :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:14 am 
exploring my potential!

but at the same time....It's family guy.
The shows main purpose is to take the piss in a light-hearted, if sometimes dark, way.
Peter is clearly an alcoholic; this is also handled lightly. So is divorce, death, child abuse...

Pretty much everything.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:30 pm 
microwave wrote:
but at the same time....It's family guy.
The shows main purpose is to take the piss in a light-hearted, if sometimes dark, way.
Peter is clearly an alcoholic; this is also handled lightly. So is divorce, death, child abuse...

Pretty much everything.

I personally hate family guy. It's not just unpolitically correct but just down right discriminant unless you're a white Caucasian male who is perfectly fit and able and has a regular desk job.
My brother loves it and so does my fiance... I often here them say things like 'But it's funny' when I say that something is so appallingly racist for example. Humour doesn't make it less offensive or okay.. in fact I think it's worse than just being blatantly discriminant as it's a cover for what's really going on.
I really wouldn't say it's light handed.. the issues are ridiculed and if anything encouraged.
<shrugs>
But yes it's a cartoon and it's really not their responsibility/job/duty to show a realistic or fair or educational or true portrayal of anything. I don't watch it because I despise it... and if I do (say everyone else is) then I don't say anything about it too much as I can't really complain as I know what the show is like and it's my fault for watching it really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:41 pm 
healthy is sexy

I haven't seen that American Dad episode in awhile... at least not since I developed an ED. I'd have to see it again to make a fair judgement.
We can't take everything too seriouslly though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:06 pm 
healthy is sexy

The point of those shows, I think, is to use a specific type of humour - the same kind Sarah Silverman uses, that South Park uses to an extent, as does The Simpsons sometimes: basically, be as politically incorrect, offensive, prejudiced, bigoted, and unrealistic as possible - not for the sake of trying to offend, belittle, oppress, etc, but to throw the people who actually think that way into sharp relief. Sarah Silverman (who I'm not a big fan of, by the way) regurgitates racism in her comedy *to make fun of racists*. It's not for everybody, because many (most?) people can't get past the initial offensive bit.

They can also be scarily realistic sometimes, though... there's a scene in Family Guy where Meg is hanging out with her "friends" at a fast food joint, and they're all sitting and ignoring her, she's standing up behind the table. When they leave she waits for them to go and then starts bingeing on their leftovers. This wasn't triggering for me (I'm not easily triggered) - although other non-EDed viewers probably won't see it like this, it really showed the feeling of a binge, how it can be so totally inappropriate and you can KNOW that and just be unable to stop it anyway.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:43 am 
feeling out the orange

I dunno... I find it funny. It's satirical, so you can't expect them NOT to poke fun at everything. And eating disorders are pretty much made fun of by everyone as it goes.

I thought the ending was hilarious, when Stan was like "oh no! What I'm doing is unhealthy!" [starts to eat] If only it was that easy! :roll:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:52 am 
exploring my potential!

i dont like American Dad. its just annoying.

but i LOVE family guy. why? because they take every and all aspects of life.. good bad and ugly.. and make it light. i think we all need that sometimes. yes it is offensive.. yes it is judemental..yes it is stupid. but that is why its great!

Family guy.. here's to you! *giggidy giggidy gooo*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:11 pm 
healthy is sexy

There was also an episode of Family Guy where James Woods is living with the Griffins & there's a scene where he's telling Meg about "Mr. Pukey" (her finger being used to purge).
And he sticks his finger down her throat & she throws up & then he says
"Hey, when did Reese Witherspoon get here?"
And Meg squeals with glee.

Offensive of course, but it's Family Guy, it's supposed to be that way.
And it makes a good point, he, the Hollywood insider, is showing her how the stars stay slim & how to be successful.
So you be the judge.

Offline Profile