Post subject: Lagerfeld: Anorexia Has Nothing to Do With Fashion
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:04 am 
orange goddess

http://www.javno.com/en/lifestyle/clanak.php?id=129462

:thing: :?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:09 am 
I've read this before. I hate this man. He can fuck of and die as far as I'm concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:45 am 
orange you glad?

I think he's totally insane. I've read so many interviews with him and I always end up giggliing about the absurdity of his words.

Frankly, I can't take anything he says seriously. I had to research him for a paper and all my research as lead me to believe that he is either putting on some sorta performance type thing to see how much and how long we'll buy it for, or he's simply crazy. Talented designer but crazy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:40 am 
Quote:
It is not necessary to discuss those of whom there are less than one percent. Anorexia has nothing to do with fashion, Lagerfeld said
Err...... so people are irrelevant if they take up less than 1%?? WTF??
I don't think that article should have been called 'Lagerfield- Anorexia has nothing to do with fashion'.. more like 'Lagerfield agrees that anorexia has a hell of a lot to do with fashion but simply doesn't care'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:06 am 
orange goddess

or simply Lagerfield'an asshole

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:27 am 
the original orange

I don't understand this whole "focus on obesity" message.

I don't know. I am trying to deconstruct what he means from this.

How are his statements supposed to indicate fashion is combating obesity, as opposed to encouraging anorexia?

Maybe there are subliminal efforts to push the masses towards compulsive dieting and starving because they figure more important to focus on starving down that 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 they perceive as "fat", than to worry about that 1 in 100 that is anorexic. I do not see a multitude of body sizes in the fashion world. I see some designers using plus size models to target a specific demographic, but more excessively thin models used to target overall demographics. It is as if anyone beyond a certain size simply does not exist.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:35 am 
muse wrote:
I don't understand this whole "focus on obesity" message.

I don't know. I am trying to deconstruct what he means from this.

How are his statements supposed to indicate fashion is combating obesity, as opposed to encouraging anorexia?

Maybe there are subliminal efforts to push the masses towards compulsive dieting and starving because they figure more important to focus on starving down that 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 they perceive as "fat", than to worry about that 1 in 100 that is anorexic. I do not see a multitude of body sizes in the fashion world. I see some designers using plus size models to target a specific demographic, but more excessively thin models used to target overall demographics. It is as if anyone beyond a certain size simply does not exist.

I've noticed that too.. it annoys me just as much when designers use unhealthily overweight models to target an audience and to prove some sort of point as it does when they use size zero models...
The sad thing is I don't think Lagerfield is trying to justify his use of size zero models. I don't even think he's trying to suggest he is somehow combatting obesity. I don't even think he is crazy. I think he is an incredibly intelligent very sane man who is well aware of what he is doing and what effect it is having and has thrown the phrase 'obesity' in to change the media angle..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:14 pm 
the original orange

Butterfly wrote:
The sad thing is I don't think Lagerfield is trying to justify his use of size zero models. I don't even think he's trying to suggest he is somehow combatting obesity. I don't even think he is crazy. I think he is an incredibly intelligent very sane man who is well aware of what he is doing and what effect it is having and has thrown the phrase 'obesity' in to change the media angle..

You think it's a diversionary tactic? You may be right.

They may be well aware of what they are doing, because when called on it he diverts attention to an opposing epidemic. Is it perhaps on some level an attempt to pit the obese against the anorexics and vice versa... make them somehow resent each other and resort to in-fighting (friendly fire) rather than identifying the true source of their woes?

"You cause anorexia with your fashion designs."

"Obesity is bad."

This really sounds to me like an explanation of a choice to subliminally push emaciation and normalize it so that everyone would be on a diet.

:soapbox:

The world's obese outnumber the world's hungry 1 billion to 800 million... Somewhat off-topic, 3 billion people on the planet live on 2 dollars a day. If prices inflate much it results in famines and food riots, which is happening throughout the third world right now. The fashion industry is far-divorced from the food situation, the state of individual health. If most of the world is at one extreme or the other - obesity or emaciation - there must be wide focus on health and balance for all... to ensure that everyone has enough to eat... and that people know how to make informed choices about what they are consuming... and how to get help to get there.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:30 pm 
orange like clockwork

This guy is ridiculous. The things I have read about him saying...

on Princess Diana:

"She was pretty and she was sweet, but she was stupid,"

And in a most recent interview with him:

"I hate all children."

"I have no ambition. I just want things in a certain way."

"The thing is, I’m never happy, that’s why I continue"

I just can't take someone who makes those statements seriously.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:25 am 
i love orange

These aer the type of people that I really hope crawl in a hole and die... he's an asshole.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:40 am 
orange is a state of mind

Why do you presume all overweight models are unhealthy?

Offline Profile