Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Just jared
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:33 pm 
power lies within

Quote:
JustJared is a troll unworthy of Queen Latifah's attention
by Weetabix, Elastic Waist,

I know that Queen Latifah wouldn't even deign a glance at a mouthbreather like Just Jared, but take a look at this post. At first glance, it seems all girl power and size positive and rock on, but then the little things start to sink in, the choice of photographs, the commentary about the types of food Queen Latifah might have eaten and then the suggestion of "working it off"--it's all reverse bodysnarking aimed at revving up the comments and generating controversy. Um, JustJared? Called out and also, pathetic misogynistic and borderline racist crap.

Thankfully, the commenters are, for the most part, not taking the bait. In particular, I'm loving the comment from someone known only as "wakeup" who wrote:

"i think she's beautiful. scratch that, i know she's beautiful.

the difference between her and all the other women is not an embrace of hypocrisy. pierce brosnan's wife is not fat. britney's not fat. it's a reflection of the society in which we live. if people are criticising britney, it's because they want/expect her to weigh less. queen has always been healthy and proud of the size she's at, so people are more supportive. it's not like she's yo yo-ed or disgusted by how she looks. if the other women who are being criticized embraced that idea too, the criticism would slow down and the public would turn on their side. look at jennifer love hewitt. that's what she did.

it's all in how we view ourselves. if you feel fat and project that, people will see it. if you walk with confidence, the world is on your side."

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:40 pm 
I'm not sure I follow.. but if you walk with confidence people will assume there is nothing wrong.. that doesn't mean there isn't or that what you're doing is okay....
It took a hell of a long time for a lot of my friends and most importantly my mother to realise there was anything wrong with me or to even notice I wasn't eating or getting thin as I seemed so outwardly confident and achieving...
Maybe I'm going off on a tangent here.. but I didn't like the tone of that article.. it was a bit 'Don't winge and be fun because that's all anyone wants you to be'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:20 pm 
power lies within

I guess what I got from the article is if you are of healthy, but feel bad about yourself, people will pick up on that and think badly too. But- if you feel good about yourself, people will pick up on that and feel good about you too.

I think this is meant for people that dont put on masks. People that are themselves, cry when they are sad, smile and laugh when they are happy - not just pretend to. When you are truely happy and healthy, there is no mask. You are yourself.

Elenor- I can see why you could read that and get what you did from it though. When you put on your mask of "nothings wrong" on, I bet people did pick up on the subtlies of you being misrible, even if they couldn't put their finger on it. Perhaps it made their lives easier, perhaps it served some other purpose. Of couse, some people are just clueless. My parents knew something was wrong, but they never asked me or anything. I know personally I had a great mask. It wasn't untill years later when I asked them why they didn't do anything that I found this out.

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile