Last visit was: It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Oh.Dear.God
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:50 pm 
Did anyone else see the 'Painted Babies: Growing Up' show on bbc4? I remember the first one in 1995.... It's about child beauty pageants in America. It's absolutely horrendous. Children just shouldn't be exposed to things like this! 5 year olds wearing makeup and fishnet tights and singing love songs..... NO NO NO!!!

If anyone is interested in seeing what I mean...you can donwload it over the next 6 days here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00bv34b.shtml?filter=txdate%3A29-05&filter=txslot%3Aevening&start=1&scope=iplayerlast7days&version_pid=b00bv2yd

Or look here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=painted+babies&search_type=

and take your pick from a whole load of YouTube clips. They're all appauling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:04 pm 
power lies within

AUugh. *charlie brown dismay*

i'm not going to watch that, it'll just upset me. it reminds me of this reality show that's playing lately, "I know my kid's a star!" - for the LOVE of god, as if we need to encourage this shit kind of vicarious ED-breeding DYSFUNCTIONAL parenting!

the judges actually criticise the kids (their acting, their FACES, their SMILES, their FRECKLES) while the PARENTS stand in front of them. not the kids. just so that everybody's psyche and sense of self gets good and fucked up.
one girl's mother was told that the child was "the 'best friend', you know? and we're not looking for the 'best friend'. we're looking for a STAR."

*elimination*

it makes me feel violent. against a person who isn't me. it's not a sensation i enjoy.
...i want these willfully ignorant moneymaking capitalist self-gratifying machine-greasing criminals drawn and quartered. while unique and wonderful children throw rocks at them.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:41 pm 
Damn it....
When are people going to get it...
CHILDREN ARE NOT DOLLS TO LIVE OUT YOUR FAILED DREAMS.

:evil:

That puts a whole new perspective on it all. When I saw young children dancing and being 'cute' I always assumed it was natural and they enjoyed doing it.. but it's obvious it's all coached and taught...

Those videos... those parents... 'Sometimes it feel cruel. I feel like she should just be allowed to be a child and the pageants don't allow that but we got addicted to the money and the cars'.... that was said without remorse or guilt by one father..
People who live off their children in this way are really sick and twisted.
The pageants themselves.. if you are giving a car away as a prize in a pageant for 0-5 year olds it's very obvious who it's aimed at...

I'm lost for words..

The sexulization of young girls is not cute. It is not sweet. It's sick.
There's a show called 'Britian's got Talent' on at the moment which I really enjoy, but last week there was this dance troupe on who were all under 8 I think... and they were wearing these floaty dresses that were so short that when they jumped up you could very clearly and obviously see their white knickers.. They didn't even have shorts on.
I think that is so incredibly creepy and wrong.

<shakes head>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:22 pm 
power lies within

agreed about the disturbingness of that, Eleanor!

that said, as someone who was the kid in the frilly dress (though at a harp in my case) it's not all show. children do, often, have a freedom and love in dancing and singing and making music. it is very real. it's not all contrived.
it's just sick that it gets contorted,
particularly in child stars of screen or even singing.
frankly the current trend of 'tween' sensations is pretty disturbing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:35 pm 
galactic orange

I was in a couple of pageants when I was younger, but thankfully my mom wasn't one of those pageant moms that caked on the makeup and made me do all of that kind of stuff...she actually asked me if I wanted to do the pageants and the optional competitions, and she took no for an answer. I definitely saw that kind of stuff going on, but my mom would always say stuff like "she looks so fake" or "a 7-year old should not be wearing that much makeup." The pageants that I did were more focused on personality and academics too so the well-trained, non-kid like girls didn't win (actually I won the first one I did and the trained girl got 1st runner-up because the judges thought she was too programmed). Now I'm not going to say that the pageant experience had nothing to do with me developing a disordered eating problem, but I think it wasn't specifically because of the pageants but more from comments that could have come in different situations too. At least I had fun with the parades and performing and meeting people and the free trip to Florida for the national competition for the pageant I won. So I guess there are a couple of ok pageants for kids out there, but you really have to look since there are far more bad ones, and the parents attitude is everything!

Offline Profile