Last visit was: It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: A TV show called Super Skinny Me
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:08 pm 
i love orange

I was flipping throw channels last night and I show a girl sitting on the floor screaming that she was fat when she looked like a skeletion.... it made me upset... the show was about these 2 journalist and their "journey" on making themselves the thinnest.... they wanted to put themselves to the test to see how low of a weight they can get... it was like discusting....

I had to switch the channel because I was starting to get very triggered by it...

Just wanted to let everyone know not to watch it.....

~Sera~

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:57 pm 
Yeah I saw this when it first came out....it was supposed to show how stupid the size zero culture is, but has been kinda hijacked by the pro-anas.

I thought it was a bit of a stupid programme tbh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:27 pm 
orange you prolific

Wow. How can this even be a show? This is feeding the madness.

http://youtube.com/arielleleebair [recovery videos]
http://twitter.com/arielleleebair

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:01 am 
i love orange

It was a ludicrous idea for a TV show, and very irresponsible, but did sort of put a positive message across. Both journalists got very depressed and really struggled- one had to give up because her extreme diet led to bulimic episodes, and the other one, who lost weight in the short term, regained all the weight v. quickly once she resumed eating normally and also reported binge eating. I was pleased that everything was shown as unglamorous as it really is.
Having said that, the show could still be triggering, especially since they both lose initially dramatic amounts of weight, and their weights and BMIs and calorie-intake are all mentioned a lot.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:50 am 
There's been a few shows like this. There was one where they aimed for a size zero and another where it was a double zero (which really was just ridiculous). The first show was quite good in the fact it highlighted the hell that people put themselves through and how incredibly miserable it made the journalist that went through it. The aim was to show what models were being pressured into doing because of fashion designers desires at the moment for emaciated models. She actually stopped on medical advice before she got to a size zero as it wrecked her health so severely. I actually found it rather beneficial to watch as I was beginning to sink back into my old habits and it was a bit of a wake up call to me to realise what it was I was doing again.
The second program on getting to a double zero though, which I didn't watch but some of my friends did, wasn't so insightful. This time it was two journalists, like that show you mentioned, and one had to be removed from it and actually put into treatment as unsurprisingly she developed anorexia and wouldn't stop despite medical advice.
The idea behind the first one of these shows was actually positive, as it highlighted that it basically wasn't worth it and what catwalk models are being pressured into, but as they have progressed they seemed to have moved from an informative view point to just shocking people and they have became more 'pro-ana' in tone in a lot of ways.