Last visit was: It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: When is a fashion ad not a fashion ad?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:06 pm 
the original orange

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/10/fashi ... ref=slogin

What do you think about the ad displayed and discussed in this article? Sexy or degrading? Fitting that a woman who represents products is represented as a thing, or misogyny disguised as art?

Quote:
“I told her, ‘You’re the most photographed woman in the world,’ ” Mr. Teller recalled. “ ‘And fashion nowadays is all about product — bags and shoes — and you’re kind of a product yourself, aren’t you?’ She was, like, ‘Uh, yeah.’ ”

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:45 pm 
power lies within

part of me wants to poke fun at her being a bag lady (lol- just because she always seems so snotty - but then again I dont know her.), part of me is just so tired of models,women,men.. of PEOPLE being objects.

Society praises them for what they look like, not daring to find out what the person inside is like, nor do they want to hear about how their health is suffering to become this object. As long as they get their shots, that's all that matters...

Not suprising the photographer did calvin klein photos.....then chooses victora beckham for the shoot. Someone needs to tell him that real curves are sexy.

He called her an object, and she agreed. Someone needs to tell her that she is a person, with thoughts, and dreams, and deserves to be treated that way. (whether or not I think she seems snobish or not)

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:50 pm 
I personally don't find it sexy or degrading.. I just think it's a rather comical image.. I took it as sort of making a joke at the industry and perhaps yes at celebrities..
Victoria Beckham is a person yes.. but Victoria Beckham the footballers wife is a product. It's something the person has fashioned delibaretly to be a product.. in a way yes she's an object.. because she's more of a concept than a person..
This advertisement doesn't really bother me.. perhaps I'm not reading enough into it.. but it just seems quite comical.. and if Victoria Beckham sees her public profile as a product.. I don't really see anything wrong with that either.