Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Advertising as Propaganda
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:27 am 
the original orange

http://propaganda.mrdonn.org/lessonplans.html

Understand how advertising is propaganda through a lesson plan on the above site. Not all advertising is propaganda, but if you learn how to spot it... you guard yourself from being adversely affected as much all the time. Open your eyes and see where advertisers and agencies are pushing your buttons to get a certain response... or ensure that you hold this or that viewpoint as opposed to another.

More links on propaganda, consumerism, etc.
http://doggo.tripod.com/doggmanip.html

Body image manipulation in media/advertising:
http://drdeborahserani.blogspot.com/200 ... en_25.html

Add more if you have any... or debate the issue if you like. I want to have an open dialog about advertising as propaganda to manipulate body-image and self-image.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:27 am 
I don't doubt even for a moment there is a lot of propaganda in advertisements.. but isn't that the whole point of an advertisement? The very meaning of one.
Quote:
Propaganda defintion- The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

Quote:
Advert defintion-To turn the mind or attention; to refer; to take heed or notice; -- with to; as, he adverted to what was said.

If an advertisement just says 'We sell toothpaste called Collgate' no one is going to remember it or be interested in it never mind buy it.
In some ways I symapthise with those that make these advertisements. Advertising is a necessairy part of modern life. Without it companies couldn't compete as people would be unaware of their product. The idea is to make their product more desriable. It does seem unethical to be manipulating people like this..... but what's the alternative? How could products be advertised better? Advertisements cannot just be banned.. that would get us nowhere. I think there does need to be more regulations but how do you define what is acceptable and what isn't without meaning that they are effectively useless?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:40 pm 
power lies within

Butterfly wrote:
Advertisements cannot just be banned.. that would get us nowhere. I think there does need to be more regulations but how do you define what is acceptable and what isn't without meaning that they are effectively useless?

i agree, but i think it comes down to ethical advertising. everyone has a service to provide, but consider doctors who run a business - they can compete amongst eachother, try to up their own profits, and who can ask them to do differently in the current system? but they have famously proclaimed to be bound by an ethic to do no harm.
theoretically, could this not be applied across the board? criminally it could be difficult to enforce but certainly civilly, why couldn't we establish a precedence for negligence charges any time an advertiser takes an action which could reasonably be expected to be interpreted with harmful conclusions?

and if "harmful" were to include an unhealthy body attitude?

if you are setting up an advertisement where the subject is expected to infer that they will be thinner or more beautiful if you buy their product or service, and that is the fundamental point of the ad, is it totally a pipe-dream to imagine a day where you could be charged for this?

it is a fine line in a way, because in a certain way i think that all ads are propaganda - the travel agent ad i just heard that made "your trip, your way!" echo in a sing-song way in my head was part of a brainwashing bombardment to convince me that i am miserable and i need intervention to lift me out of my miserable life.
but certainly ads that imply "buy our product and you will be happier" cannot be banned, not in anything like the current climate. that's the basis of advertising! but, "buy our product and you will be thin, without having to worry about taking care of your body and being fit, and ThEREFORE you will be happy," essentially "you need to be [x], and we're the only way you can attain that, so you NEED us"
- to me, that's where it crosses the line and becomes propaganda, and i don't believe that regulating this is outside the jurisdiction of the law.

there is merit to the French law, it's just ludicrous to make the mentally ill into criminals in this situation. but i think that is almost a side-effect, albeit a sensational one, of the law. with any luck and diligence from the powers that be in this case, the law will be ammended to deal with the problem they are aiming at: if they are successfully able to ban the promotion of unhealthy ideas of skinny for material gain...that is outstanding.

in the meantime, there is the propaganda that can perhaps not be banned, not yet...but if we react against it and work to change the environment perhaps it will not be deemed effective anymore and i won't have to watch that LG cellphone commercial about beauty being always reached-for and ever unattainable (except through LG) anymore...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:03 pm 
great king of handstandshire

Quote:
If an advertisement just says 'We sell toothpaste called Collgate' no one is going to remember it or be interested in it never mind buy it.
In some ways I symapthise with those that make these advertisements. Advertising is a necessairy part of modern life. Without it companies couldn't compete as people would be unaware of their product. The idea is to make their product more desriable. It does seem unethical to be manipulating people like this..... but what's the alternative? How could products be advertised better? Advertisements cannot just be banned.. that would get us nowhere.

Why do you think a company has the right to convince you to buy what they sell when you're not looking for anything? Shouldn't they be satisfied that they're allowed to offer it, and you're allowed to buy it?

If their product is not, in fact, in any way better or worse than the product their competitor is selling, then why should they be permitted to try in any fashion to convince you that it is?

Why do you think we should be preventing businesses who do nothing original from going out of business?

Why do you think the modern world needs them doing this?

Offline Profile