Last visit was: It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:49 pm


All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: google ads
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:23 pm 
exploring my potential!

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:31 pm
Posts: 504
Location: N.S, Canada
Hi there,
I was scrolling through treatment options found attached to the "links" section of WBB. The link was "eatingdisorderexpert.co.uk." It appears as though google advertising is using this website as a platform for a 2008 diet of the year that contradicts the message on WBB. If you click on the tab it brings you back into the obsessive world of weight loss.
This may be considered trivial but I thought I should mention the irony.

Laura
________
UNIVERSAL LIFE INSURANCE FORUMS


Last edited by laura on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:48 pm 
the original orange
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:52 pm
Posts: 7323
Location: Cozumel, Mexico
Google ads are keyword generated. If a site uses their advertising, the ads are generated by the content within the site. This is the very reason why We Bite Back is advertisement free. I feel it is not helpful to recovery efforts to be constantly bombarded by keyword-generated text ads that contradict the point of the site... yet such ads are not able to read "intent" of the written words on a page.

Some site owners use google ads to support the cost of keeping their sites online... which costs money. Occasionally someone on the site chucks a few dollars towards hosting fees and this is helpful.

I have no desire to put advertising on this site.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:38 am 
orange wonder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 pm
Posts: 4363
Location: ireland
muse wrote:
Some site owners use google ads to support the cost of keeping their sites online... which costs money. Occasionally someone on the site chucks a few dollars towards hosting fees and this is helpful.


can i ask how much does it cost to run a site like this? just curious
thanks

_________________
Image


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:51 am 
the original orange
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:52 pm
Posts: 7323
Location: Cozumel, Mexico
breda wrote:
muse wrote:
Some site owners use google ads to support the cost of keeping their sites online... which costs money. Occasionally someone on the site chucks a few dollars towards hosting fees and this is helpful.


can i ask how much does it cost to run a site like this? just curious
thanks


About ten bucks a month and fifteen a year, for a huge site that transfers an average of 10 gigs a month of bandwidth (and growing).


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:55 am 
orange wonder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 pm
Posts: 4363
Location: ireland
muse wrote:
breda wrote:
muse wrote:
Some site owners use google ads to support the cost of keeping their sites online... which costs money. Occasionally someone on the site chucks a few dollars towards hosting fees and this is helpful.


can i ask how much does it cost to run a site like this? just curious
thanks


About ten bucks a month and fifteen a year, for a huge site that transfers an average of 10 gigs a month of bandwidth (and growing).


thanks sharon- was just wondering!
u do an amazing job- thank u for this haven in a world of madness


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:17 am 
orange is a state of mind
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:57 pm
Posts: 2248
Location: Arlington, MA
GMail is my primary e-mail client, and I really hate their ad placement. I use an ad-blocker, but it seems to be unable to remove GMail's ads--I have to remove each one manually every time I load the page. Because I correspond with people about eating disorders, I'm constantly bombarded with ads about diets and weight loss products. I'm considering switching back to Yahoo mail even though I don't like them, just because I won't have to deal with the ads.

Sara

_________________
"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you."
--Marianne Williamson

"Failure is a temporary detour and should never become a permanent address."
--Dr. Myles Munroe


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:43 am 
I find these ad's extremely offensive. When I'm on faceache and stuff, I get all this shit about 'losing weight with a little pink patch' and crap like that. On my profile, all I can see is half-naked skinny girls. It pisses me off! Dunno wot to do tho....I'm not all that amazing wen it comes to computery stuff shall we say...


Top
  
 
 Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:17 am 
exploring my potential!

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:31 pm
Posts: 504
Location: N.S, Canada
Hi Muse,
Thank you for the clarity on the google ads as well as having a place that offers a variety of recovery options; I am finding such information helpful.
Laura
________
VAPIR NO2 VAPORIZER


Last edited by laura on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:31 pm 
the original orange
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:52 pm
Posts: 7323
Location: Cozumel, Mexico
I would like to build up resources of advertisement-free (or at least free from contextually based text ads referring to written content in people's emails, posts and profiles) social networking sites, web mail sites, etc.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki