Post subject: Beauty and Body Image in the Media
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:56 pm 
the original orange

http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/i ... beauty.cfm

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:33 pm 
power lies within

jesus christ! So we're suppost to starve ourselves, take diet pills, go to gyms, buy diet books, ect for the fucking economy...... I can think of alot more we could be doing to boost the economy without hurting our health or well being.

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:00 pm 
This sounds a lot like the argument about not banning cigarettes in the UK at the moment.. a lot of people say that people should not stop smoking as else the lack of tax would mean things like the NHS couldn't run.. which is insane as the amount of money spent on the NHS because of smoking related diseases is actually more than the amount raised in tax from smoking.. I'm not saying that smoking should be illegal but the argument is ridiculous.... I wonder if a simlar thing is actually true to do with the amount of money spent on people needing therapy for EDs and having prolonged therapy because this industry is helping them to wreck their self esteem even though their orginal issues had nothing to with eating...

Quote:
The stakes are huge. On the one hand, women who are insecure about their bodies are more likely to buy beauty products, new clothes, and diet aids. It is estimated that the diet industry alone is worth $100 billion (U.S.) a year. On the other hand, research indicates that exposure to images of thin, young, air-brushed female bodies is linked to depression, loss of self-esteem and the development of unhealthy eating habits in women and girls.

I stopped reading after this as I was just so.. astounded and horrified that someone is making that comparison as a supposedly balanced argument...
Health and sanity comes first.. no matter what.. it's just... well.. the way it should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:33 pm 
the original orange

There are a lot of ways that people are systematically falling through the cracks.

Arguing that we live in a capitalist economy as a reason for condoning... systematically triggering people into low self-esteem, depression and poor self-image through corporate propaganda... is this the world we want to live in??? Isn't this indicative that the system lacks ethics? Isn't this indicative that the whole thing will collapse under the weight of itself when people finally see through the lies?

I am a designer. I have an advertising background. I know a lot of tricks used to make a product look... amazing... make something seem cool... make a company seem big and impressive. I know how to do these things more than the next guy, I think. Maybe that's why after two years of running this site... it all seems a little sinister to me.

I gave up watching television in the Fall of 2007. I now also use an ad blocker application on my computer. This means I am seeing virtually no advertising... and haven't for months. I am refusing to subject myself to it anymore.

So what are advertisements like now if I see them? Really loud. Really annoying. Really... argh. Get away from me. I don't know how to talk about it. All this... trying to convince people that they need things just to be happy... or that the product/service/business is somehow way fantastic and wonderful... and people absorb the advertisements and take them seriously even on some level they don't realize. Like assuming the product really LOOKS like that. Or that the model really LOOKS like that. And so you get normal people on the street going into plastic surgeon's offices asking to be made to look like the air-brushed, photoshopped models they saw in the magazine who don't even really look like that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:30 am 
This world that we are currently living in disgusts me. There are real problems - murder, abuse, famine, disease.... but women are being told they need to worry more about their physical appearance. It's pathetic. I don't watch TV either - If I want to watch a particular show, I'll download it. No ad's, no interruptions. And I refuse to buy magazines too (except ones with real life stories...I like those). I used to buy Cosmo, but I became tired of every other page showing me a picture of a ridicuously airbrushed woman trying to sell me a product I don't need. I'm ashamed of what women are becoming. Our ancestors fought so that we could vote, have rights and equal opportunities....yet we're still worrying about what men think of us.

Gah, I'm really pissed off. Heh, can you tell??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:08 am 
great king of handstandshire

Butterfly wrote:
This sounds a lot like the argument about not banning cigarettes in the UK at the moment.. a lot of people say that people should not stop smoking as else the lack of tax would mean things like the NHS couldn't run.. which is insane as the amount of money spent on the NHS because of smoking related diseases is actually more than the amount raised in tax from smoking.. I'm not saying that smoking should be illegal but the argument is ridiculous.... I wonder if a simlar thing is actually true to do with the amount of money spent on people needing therapy for EDs and having prolonged therapy because this industry is helping them to wreck their self esteem even though their orginal issues had nothing to with eating...

Quote:
The stakes are huge. On the one hand, women who are insecure about their bodies are more likely to buy beauty products, new clothes, and diet aids. It is estimated that the diet industry alone is worth $100 billion (U.S.) a year. On the other hand, research indicates that exposure to images of thin, young, air-brushed female bodies is linked to depression, loss of self-esteem and the development of unhealthy eating habits in women and girls.

I stopped reading after this as I was just so.. astounded and horrified that someone is making that comparison as a supposedly balanced argument...
Health and sanity comes first.. no matter what.. it's just... well.. the way it should be.

What you said about cigarettes... it's not true. The truth is, cigarette smokers get to old age and die quickly, while non-smokers linger on for years and cost much, much more. From an economic standpoint, the longer you live after you retire, the more of a drain you are.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:15 am 
Quote:
What you said about cigarettes... it's not true. The truth is, cigarette smokers get to old age and die quickly, while non-smokers linger on for years and cost much, much more. From an economic standpoint, the longer you live after you retire, the more of a drain you are.

That wasn't what I meant. That is true but I was purely comparing the cost of 'repairing' those who smoke with the amount of tax raised from smoking cigarettes and it ends up in negative equity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:28 am 
the original orange

This is perhaps why there's such a concentrated effort right now to "blame the victims" - either the anorexics or the cigarette smokers. Anorexics are blamed for the advertiser/media/fashion influence that bombards them from all sides. They are blamed for the influence they add by talking about their disorder. They under threat of being censored or thrown in jail. If the media continues to bombard us all with ana-propaganda while individuals are prevented from talking about their resulting problems, then there's a greater potential for more people to die in silence... or struggle through life miserable and alone... not making friends with others to talk about issues for fear of Big Brother.

Incidentally, in Nova Scotia if you smoke a cigarette in a car with 16 year olds, that's a fine.

Offline Profile